Girlfriend in a Coma: A Novel (P.S.) by…

Girlfriend in a Coma: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1998; edition 2008)

by Douglas Coupland

On a snowy Saturday night in 1979, after making love for the first time, high school senior Karen Ann McNeil confides the dark visions she's been suffering to her boyfriend, Richard. Only a few hours later she descends into a coma. Nine months after that, she gives birth to a daughter, Megan, her child by Richard. Karen remains comatose for the next 18 years. Richard and her circle of friends reside in an emotional purgatory throughout the next two decades, passing through careers as models, film special-effects technicians, doctors and demolition experts before finally being reunited while working on a conspiracy-driven supernatural series. Upon Karen's reawakening, life grows as surreal as the television show. Strange, apocalyptic events begin to occur. Later, amid the world's rubble, Karen, Richard and their friends attempt to restore their own humanity.… (more)
Member:robzand
Title:Girlfriend in a Coma: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Douglas Coupland
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland (1998)

English (40)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
i agree more with the negative reviews than with the positive. it starts strong but I should have heeded the warning signs that it would devolve into paranormal babble and over bearing how do we save the world psychology. the early parts of the book that raise the question of which characters are in stasis and which are dynamic are worth exploring but the ghost tale that follows is a cheap gimmick. ( )
  jimbomin | Jan 23, 2017 |
Odd. Have to think about it awhile. When deciding to read it, I wasn't particularly intrigued by the premise. I was intrigued by the promise of bigger ideas, of how the title motif fit into the grand goal of the book.

The weaving of smaller & larger stories was indeed interesting. Also on the plus side, I was impressed by how the author made the kind of people I normally refuse to read about into sympathetic and engaging characters. On the minus side, the grand idea was just a little too odd for me. Also on the minus side were too many minor implausibilities, even given the suspension of disbelief for the major fantastic elements.

I could go on, but it was kinda draining to read, and I want to be done. So,in sum, my star rating reflects my mixed feelings, *not* a lukewarm reaction. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
What to do with a human life? ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland - Good

What a strange but interesting book. I've read other books by Douglas Coupland and enjoyed them, but I have to admit the title of this one kept putting me off. I needn't have worried, it's not particularly depressing.

One snowy night in Vancouver, a couple of teenagers decide to lose their virginity, by the end of the evening, Karen has slipped into a coma leaving a strange message for her boyfriend, Richard. For 17 years he and their group of friends try to live their lives while Karen 'sleeps' and then...

Hard to categorise without giving too much away. Starts as a teenage, coming of age, sort of book, slips into a middle age crisis type of thing, then dystopia, then redemption of a sort. It really defies description and I suspect for that alone, it deserves its place in The Guardian's 1000 best novels

The fact that it's a page turner and you really want to know what happens to this group of friends makes it well worth reading regardless of listings.

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I cannot stress this enough. I think this is the worst book I have ever read. I picked it up on the strength of glowing appraisals on the blurb, along the lines of "Coupland does it again. He may not give the answers, but asks the questions of our purpose" etc. Glowing indeed.

It held quite a lot of promise in the first part. And then the story becomes so convoluted I just lost interest. I try to finish every book where possible but this got drastically worse and led to a terrible ending. I put it down feeling thoroughly dissatisfied.

And it's a shame, because Coupland can write. But the storyline in this was really poor in my opinion. ( )
1 vote rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |
I'm Jared, a ghost.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible