Huckleberry Finished by Livia J. Washburn

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoy light mysteries and that describes this book. The references to Mark Twain's writings were fun. I enjoyed the characters and the ending did surprise me.The villian wasn't who I suspected. My only complaint was that there was one typo towards the very end of the book. This typo was rather important to the plot. But anyone who reads it will easily recognize it. ( )
  bailey9189 | May 5, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fun cozy mystery that kept me guessing until the end. I really enjoy the theme of the series, which is Literary Tours. As someone who lives in the south, I found it interesting that the main character, Delilah, was a southern gal herself. There were times I found Delilah to be a little too passive and naive, and I would have liked to have seen her interact a little more with other members of her tour group, but overall I found the writing to be solid. If you are a fan of southern cozy mysteries, you will definitely enjoy this series. ( )
  mandolin | Mar 10, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the 2nd in the Literary Tour Mystery Series. It's a light cozy that was thoroughly entertaining and fun. Lots of twists and turns and unexpected circumstances. I am looking forward to going back and reading the first in the series. ( )
  booklogged | Mar 3, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This light little mystery was a pleasant surprise. I started out thinking the plot formulaic and predictable, but before it was half-over there were definite twists and turns that kept twisting through the end. Neither dramatic or comedic, I'm not sure just how to describe the tone -- it's a bit flat. The main character, Delilah Dickinson doesn't have quite enough dimension, though I do wonder if part of that was due to the contained setting of the riverboat. But she's a refreshing character in that she's just curious enough about the mystery to get in the middle of it. Delilah doesn't go overboard with the detective work - her involvement in the plot is natural and unforced. There were a few too many references to the first mystery, and while I tired of them by the end, I may have to read it in spite of myself. In all, a nice quick little mystery. ( )
  greenleaf | Feb 2, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a fast, fun, and light read. Delilah Dickinson is charming and likeable. I have the feeling she would swear like my mother, where all the bad words are replaced by things like ‘fudge ripple’. You can’t help but want things to go right for Delilah. But, of course, things go wrong. And when things start to go wrong it is fun to listen in on all of her theories about who did what and why. I like all the Mark Twain quotes thrown in and how they managed to fit well into the story so they didn’t seem forced. But I’m glad that you don’t have to be a Mark Twain enthusiast to enjoy the book. There are several references to the first book in the series so that you learn about Delilah’s business and her last ill fated tour and perhaps it was mentioned more than it needed to be but this is still very much a stand alone story. There are a lot of interesting characters to muddy the waters but they all belong there and they are realistic and believable so that you do start to like some, hate some and feel sorry for others. The mystery is fun too. There are twists to follow and various pieces to fit together and a nice harrowing climax when everything finally falls into place. ( )
  bedda | Feb 2, 2010 |
For Larry and Karen Mackey, with thanks for their help on rebuilding our home.
Mark Twain once wrote, "I can picture that old time to myself now, just as it was then...the great Mississippi, the majestic, the magnificent Mississippi, rolling its mile-wide tide along, shining in the sun."

(from the book jacket) Ain’t no doubt about it: Ben Webster was murdered, broken neck and all. And it turns out, he caused quite a ruckus and made a few enemies before he expired by trying to slug a roulette dealer. Delihah knows the steamship’s no-nonsense head of security definitely is dirty and low-down and just plain old mean…but could he be a murderer? It’s all enough to make her wish she was floating lazily down the Mississippi with Huck and Jim, mainly.

But when someone breaks into and searches her cabin, Delilah is fixin’ to do some seriously sly sleuthing into all of this foolishness. Pretty soon her list of suspects is longer than the Mississippi is wide…not to mention she’s taken quite a shine to Mark Twain himself – or rather Mark Lansing, the handsome actor playing Huck Finn’s scribe for the tour.

But of course things just ain’t never what they seem when Delilah’s at the helm, and one tricky murder turns into two and things start to get pretty dicey on yonder steamboat. Thankfully Delilah’s sassy daughter Melissa is only a phone call away because she’ll need all the help she can get to keep the boat and its passengers from an ending that could only be described as…explosive!

Delilah Dickinson's literary travel agency is a hit! And now, after an alarmingly lively tour through the Old South of Gone with the Wind, she's ready to embark on a leisurely steamboat trip down the Mississippi, a la Huckleberry Finn. But when one of her passengers winds up dead, Delilah reckons she'll have to get to the bottom of this downright ornery mystery...Ain't no doubt about it: Ben Webster was murdered, broken neck and all. And, as it turns out, he caused quite a ruckus and made a few enemies before he expired by trying to slug a roulette dealer. Delilah knows the steamship's no-nonsense head of security definitely is dirty and low-down and just plain old mean...but could he be a murderer? It's all enough to make her wish she was floating lazily down the Mississippi with Huck and Jim, mainly. But when someone breaks into and searches her cabin, Delilah is fixin' to do some seriously sly sleuthing into all of this foolishness. Pretty soon her list of suspects is longer than the Mississippi is wide...not to mention she's taken quite a shine to Mark Twain himself - or rather Mark Lansing, the handsome actor playing Huck Finn's scribe for the tour. But of course things just ain't never what they seem when Delilah's at the helm, and one tricky murder turns into two and things start to get pretty dicey on yonder steamboat. Thankfully Delilah's sassy daughter Melissa is only a phone call away because she'll need all the help she can get to keep the boat and it's passengers from an ending that could only be described as...explosive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:35 -0400)

A steamboat trip down the Mississippi put together by Delilah Dickinson's literary travel agency takes a wrong turn when one of the group is murdered.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Huckleberry Finished by Livia J. Washburn was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible