Long Live the King! by Mary Roberts Rinehart

Long Live the King! (1917)

by Mary Roberts Rinehart

Well worth the effort to find and read. it's free as well. A Ruritanian Romance that was recommended to me. I am on a writing kick to create some Ruritanian fiction.

The book opens with the tale through the eyes of a near ten year old boy so we at first think that this will be a childrens tale. It has many elements of such, but then there are adventure elements as well for an adult to appreciate also.

As with some Ruritania tales, the rest of true Europe is obscured, but we have a neighboring enemy that has grown weary of war and wants to see diplomacy prevail. That does not mean that the suspicions of centuries has disappeared.

Along with these external forces on our happy little kingdom, all is not happy as the age of Lenin in the world outside has become reflected in this country as well. Radicals who wish to be ruled by themselves rather than by educated and dedicated professionals. We clearly see in retrospect that many who have taken to revolutionary tactics were not dedicated to helping all the people, but using the people as a means to helping themselves. That lesson can be seen in this story as well.

All in all, the elements are here, and though written with young people in mind, with a little more effort, if it had been written for adults it might indeed have received perfection from me. A younger person will find this rereadable and enjoyable all their lives. ( )
  DWWilkin | Nov 27, 2012 |

This is a story of love, intrigue and adventure in a European court. In this story Mrs. Rinehart combines mystery, heart interest, and excitement of her past successes into a story that will be hailed as the most interesting of all her stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,353,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible