Kiss in the Dark by Lauren Henderson

Kiss in the Dark

by Lauren Henderson

I love this series and I wish Henderson would hurry up with the next book. While the first two dealt with issues directly related to Scarlett, Kiss in the Dark focuses more on her (boy)friend Jase. I like the twists that Henderson throws in, mixed with the murder mystery. Not quite in the same vein as Nancy Drew, but fun nonetheless. I really hope that we'll be getting more Scarlett Wakefield books, because we're left with another mystery that needs solving (though it's not a true cliffhanger). ( )
  callmecayce | Apr 28, 2011 |
(spoilers)
OK, I was started to get really annoyed, I couldn't get past the cliché of Taylor being a secret lesbian and scared when the mean girls find out. That would have taken her instantly from wonderful strong secondary character to token butch girl. But I was wrong, and when I found out what was really happening, I was delighted. Still didn't think the mystery was as strong as the others, but I still like the characters. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Oct 15, 2010 |
If you like the series, you'll love book three, but you don't have to have read book 1 and 2 in order to appreciate book 3. One of the nice things about this series is that although a few of the characters are featured in all three books, the plot does NOT revolve around the same thing, and there is almost no reference to the event (the kiss of death) that kicked off book one, so the series doesn't get stale. I don't want to give any spoilers, but will tell you that someone Scarlett is very close to ends up as the prime suspect in a murder. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jul 2, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

KISS IN THE DARK is the third novel in the series featuring Scarlett Wakefield.

Scarlett is finally able to get on with life at Wakefield. The worst part of her routine is dealing with her nemesis, Plum, on a daily basis, and sneaking around to meet up with her boyfriend, Jason. Jason's dad and Scarlett's guardian, Aunt Gwen, have forbidden them to see each other. But life for Scarlett is never easy, and soon more excitement lands in her lap.

Taylor and Scarlett are out for their daily run around the grounds when they notice that the gate encircling the lake is open. Scarlett knows that the lake is off limits, so the two of them wander over to investigate. What they find changes everything. There, lying on the ground, dead, is Mr. Barnes, Jason's dad.

While Jason and his grandmother are telling detectives events of the previous evening, Scarlett is determined to prove it couldn't possibly be Jason's fault. Yes, she overheard the heated argument between Jason, his grandmother, and his father, but Jason is kind and gentle. He couldn't possibly have killed his dad.

As Scarlett searches for the truth, more secrets come to the surface. There is history between Scarlett's parents and Jason's parents. As she delves deeper, the secrets become darker. The ending of KISS IN THE DARK leaves the reader on the edge of their seat, awaiting a future installment in the Scarlett Wakefield drama.

Unlike the PRETTY LITTLE LIARS series that keeps going with the same theme, this series keeps readers enthralled with new mysteries around each corner for Scarlett and her friends. Ms. Henderson weaves a captivating story that is at once both believable and highly addicting. Scarlett is likeable and easily relatable for readers.

One doesn't have to have read the prior books in the series to enjoy KISS IN THE DARK. Yes, it makes the background easier to follow, but because this story contains its own mystery, it can stand on its own. ( )
  GeniusJen | May 18, 2010 |

With Dan McAndrews's murder finally behind her, Scarlett has high hopes for a fresh start at Wakefield Hall Collegiate, the elite English boarding school her grandmother runs. Unfortunately, those hopes are dashed when her nemesis, the infamous Plum Saybourne, is transferred to the school. Plum wastes no time turning Scarlett’s impressionable classmates against her.

Scarlett has dealt with Plum’s nasty schemes before, and she can handle her archenemy very nicely, thank you—until Plum sets her sights on Scarlett’s best friend, Taylor, and new boyfriend, Jase. Then Scarlett is more than willing to fight for what’s rightfully hers.

Things only get worse after Scarlett becomes entangled in a mysterious death on campus. Scarlett is compelled to investigate because she wants to protect someone close to her. She never imagines that she’ll uncover secrets related to her parents’ fatal accident so many years ago. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:15 -0400)

Scarlett hopes for a fresh start at her grandmother's elite English boarding school, until her scheming nemesis Plum Saybourne also enrolls at the school and she herself becomes involved in a mystery concerning an on-campus death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,345,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible