My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie

by Holly Robinson Peete

1957860,388 (4.35)1

A sweet book about twins. One has autism, the other does not. The little girl works to overcome the ability difference of her brother.
3-5
Pierce College Library
  Katrinaalyn | May 18, 2014 |
Ages: 2-5
Source: ECE Pierce College Library.
  kavy | May 10, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot, it explored the challenges faced by a little girl named Callie who has an autistic twin brother, Charlie. The book is written from Callie's perspective, and her thoughts and feelings(both negative and positive toward Charlie) are shared with the reader. This makes the reader (or at least made me) think about times when they've been embarrassed by a friend or someone they cared about, and how that situation was handled. In My Brother Charlie, Callie talks about how she "wishes Charlie was normal, but loves him anyway," which helps to show the big idea of this book; that everyone has value and can be a great friend, even if they aren't what we might consider normal. ( )
  alarso2 | May 6, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I specifically liked this book because it is so positive and speaks of the immense love and pride a sister has for her brother with autism. It highlights all of Charlie’s strengths and what he can do rather than what he can’t do. For example, the author writes, “Charlie is good at so much,” then lists all of his accomplishments. Then, the book touches on some difficulties, saying, “And there are days when it’s hard to be Charlie’s sister.” I like that the story is told from Charlie’s sister, Callie’s, point of view, validating her feelings as a sibling of a child with autism. Her words and ideas are mature, but she still sounds like a little girl, so children can relate to her character. I also like that Callie explicitly states the central message of this book during the story: “I have learned from Charlie that love doesn’t always come from what you say. It can also come from what you do.” This book puts an emphasis on love and the fact that knowing someone with autism is a blessing. It depicts Charlie as a genuine, clean-hearted child, saying, “He always makes my hurts feel better with the caring that comes from his eyes,” which I have seen first hand in the children with autism with whom I have come into contact. ( )
  kfield9 | Apr 26, 2014 |
This book is about a twins and how one of them have to overcome the autism of the other.
ages 4-5
From ECE Library
  sandratt | Apr 22, 2014 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible