My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie (edition 2010)

by Holly Robinson Peete, Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:My Brother Charlie
Authors:Holly Robinson Peete
Other authors:Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, disability, autism, gr. k-3, siblings

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

This story is told by a sister who describes her twin brother who has autism.
  mooneydh | May 22, 2017 |
This book brought me to tears. From experience, I know the fear that comes with being told by doctors that your bother might not ever let you hug him, kiss him, or say, “I love you.” Doctors told my family and I that my brother would probably never do all those things, but he does. This book gives a perfect representation of what life is like to have a sibling with autism. I enjoyed seeing Charlie grow and learn how to show love in different ways and his family accepting his differences, loving him for who he is. I also like how the book ends with them completing a puzzle and Charlie putting in the last piece. I think it is not a coincidence that he is not only putting in the last piece to complete the puzzle (like he completes his family) but also that a puzzle piece represents the complexity of autism. Charlie has autism, but autism doesn’t have autism. This is such a powerful statement, and my favorite part of the whole book. ( )
  rmwinter | Apr 30, 2017 |
Wow. This book was so powerful and I actually teared up while reading it. Especially in two parts... "I have learned from Charlie that love doesn't always come from what you say. It can also come from what you do. And so we do right by Charlie. We love Charlie strong. We watch over him with the might of angels. We have to." That text melted my heart. I think it's important for kids to know that just because someone says, "I love you" doesn't mean that they actually do; their actions will show their love. The second part I loved was, "Charlie has autism. But autism doesn't have Charlie" WOW SO IMPORTANT. This is the explanation of person-first. A person's disability does not define who they are... they are much more than a disability and that is prevalent in this book. I loved this book and would love to have it in my classroom. It really shows how wonderful people are if you have the patience to look past their disability and get to know them. ( )
  cedauzat | Apr 4, 2017 |
I really liked that the book is written from the perspective of Charlie's twin sister. She has such a clear outlook on her brother and so much love for him. I also thought it was nice that you see the good and the bad associated with this disability. I would absolutely recommend this book! ( )
  AubrieSmith | Mar 31, 2017 |
Charlie's big sister shows us that it is hard for him to do certain things like we do, his brain works in a special way, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. For all the thing's Charlie cannot do there are plenty of things that he can do, and do really well. Ages 7-10
  Myocom89 | Mar 22, 2017 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible