My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie (edition 2010)

by Holly Robinson Peete, Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:My Brother Charlie
Authors:Holly Robinson Peete
Other authors:Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, disability, autism, gr. k-3, siblings

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

I enjoyed reading this story for the writing style, the illustrations, and the way the book pushes readers. Callie tells a story about how special her twin brother Charlie is in many different ways. Charlie has Autism and Callie explains what its like to live with him and all he goes through, but through it all he is still Charlie, a young boy who likes to have fun. I believe the big idea/message of this story is raising awareness on Autism. I liked the writing style in this book because of the way the text was displayed visually. When Callie explains all the characteristics and hobbies about Charlie, it is all listed out to give the reader a visual representation of Charlie's abilities. The illustrations in this story were very big, bold, and bright. This engaged readers further into the story because the illustrations took up the entire page. I liked how this book pushes readers to be accepting of all individuals and their differences because we are all human beings. At first, Charlie wasn't able to say "I love you" but he was still able to show it in many different ways. ( )
  AndreaStreet | Dec 16, 2016 |
This story is about Charlie who has autism. His sister knows that while he may be different there are many things he is still great at. Best for kids 4-5 years old.
  MeganMcCullough | Dec 1, 2016 |
This story is sweet informative about autism. The Bibliotherapy aims at promoting emotional responses to special needs and models positive and appropriate interactions.
  Jorden96thomas | Nov 30, 2016 |
This was a beautiful book about a little boy with autism and his twin. This gives a great family perspective of how his sister sees him. This is great for children with siblings, family, and/or friends with autism. It really gives a positive message. ( )
  bethanygc | Nov 30, 2016 |
This book is great for children who don't understand about Autism. Helps children to see the positive out of things. Ages 3-5 Pierce Library ( )
  JessicaGillis | Nov 28, 2016 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,651,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible