My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie (edition 2010)

by Holly Robinson Peete, Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:My Brother Charlie
Authors:Holly Robinson Peete
Other authors:Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, disability, autism, gr. k-3, siblings

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

This is a story of a sister describing her life with having a brother who has autism. She describes, Charlie, the autistic brother in the story, and how he sometimes got quiet, got angry, played alone and found it very difficult to make friends. she tells about Charlie's many special talents like the way he handles their dog, Harriett. She describes how Charlie's world is different when he communicates; she tries to understand his differences with sisterly patience and love.

I love this book because even though Charlie has autism, that doesn't stop his sister from loving him. She highlights all of his special talents and abilities. I read this book to the class I teach at church because one of my students has autism. They don't always understand what its like so this book was a good way to help them understand.

Classroom extension
1. have the students discuss someone they may have met or know with autism
2. have the students describe in their own words what they think autism may feel like
  TameitriaJ | Mar 26, 2015 |
This book is about a brother/sister twin set. The brother has autism, but the sister does not. The sister encourages the brother to try to do new things and things he doesn't thing he would be able to do.
  CindiH | Mar 11, 2015 |
That Callie and Charlie are twins and that Charlie has autism. Callie has lots of fun with her brother and does everything with him. It also shows even though your told you wont be able to do something (talk) you go out and do it to prove them wrong.(Don't cry I love you) Brought out my emotion feeling love form another point of view.
  mvasquez7943 | Mar 4, 2015 |
Sweet book about twins, one has autism. The book is being told through the sister's eyes. She explains the difference about her and her twin brother, but how they are also the same; her brother just shows things in different ways.
I really like the quote from the book, "Charlie has autism. But autism doesn't have Charlie." The book was well written and heartwarming. ( )
  sottallah | Feb 24, 2015 |
A book about twins, a brother and sister. Charlie has autism and the book talks about how Charlie acts differently and the things Charlie and his sister do together.
  Lilith13 | Dec 5, 2014 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,196,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible