My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie (edition 2010)

by Holly Robinson Peete, Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:My Brother Charlie
Authors:Holly Robinson Peete
Other authors:Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, disability, autism, gr. k-3, siblings

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

This was a great book for many reasons. First, I liked this book because it touched on the African American culture. Second I liked this book because it was from a siblings point of view. The girl has a brother who has autism. This book tells the story of her and her brother. Second, I like how this book focuses on the brother's abilities instead of his disabilities. In the end the sister realizes that she is very blessed to have her brother in her life. The main idea of this story is to always be thankful for who you have in your life. The sister realizes how lucky she is to have a brother with so many abilities.
  JessicaSparacino | Apr 29, 2016 |
"My Brother Charlie" by Holly Robinson Peete is a sweet story about how a girl learns to cope with her twin brother who has autism. The book starts off saying how when the siblings were babies, Callie was always more advanced than her twin brother Charlie. The book lists how different the two children were, even though they were twins. Callie was talkative and always wanted to play and have fun, Charlie was quiet did not like talking and enjoyed being alone. When the family noticed that something was different about Charlie, they took him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with Autism. The family learns that love comes in many forms, and they find ways to show each other love, rather than just saying it. Callie learned that love from Charlie is when they smile at each other or play silly hand games, while laughing and giggling. Callie explains all of the things Charlie is good at, and how much she loves her brother. I think this would be a great book for a child who may have a sibling with Autism. The book can show them all of the positive things about their sibling, and how to accept them and love them for who they are. ( )
  olivia.sanchez | Apr 25, 2016 |
Callie and Charlie share a lot of things considering they're twins, but one thing that they do not share is Autism. Charlie is Autistic and Callie is not. Callie loves many things that Charlie has no interest in and vice versa. When Charlie was young, the family did not know that he had Autism but they went to the doctor and they found out. At first, they were scared because they did not know what this really meant but soon they realized that it just mean Charlie was special. The diagnosis was just an explanation for why Charlie was Charlie and they had to learn this. The family struggled with Charlie not always being able to verbalize how he felt or was feeling but they coped and eventually he was even able to tell them "I love you."
My Brother Charlie is an amazing book, even down to the facial expressions that the illustrator gave the characters. I think that this is a great book that can be read in an inclusion classroom so that everyone gets to really see and understand that people with Autism are not much different from them. The relationship between the siblings is also something that was very cool to see, especially because they are twins! ( )
  mlanford3 | Apr 19, 2016 |
My Brother Charlie is one of my favorite children's books that I have read in a really long time. This book spoke to me a lot because its about a little boy who has Autism, being a special ed major its always really cool to read books that pertain to my major and the kids I will be working with one day. This book is told from the sisters perspective, Callie, and how Charlie and her are really close. They do everything together, she points out how Charlie is really good at certain things and talks about his good qualities as well. She talks about how it is difficult for him to make friends or express feelings and how they have to communicate in a different way sometimes. He doesn't ever really say " I love you" but Callie understands that he different way of expressing that he loves her. The summary of Charlie in this book summaries typical characteristics with those who have autism. Reading this book in my inclusion classroom would be a great way to help kids learn that those with Autism act the way they do and learn different ways to communicate with their friends who may have Autism. ( )
  reganbounds | Apr 11, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was really awesome to read because the little girl is so proud of her brother at everything he does. It reminds me of how proud I was at my brother for everything he did. Her brother has autism, so he is very shy; but she keeps him uplifted and cares so much for him. I would recommend this book to children ages K-2 to teach them that just because people are different from yourself, you should still treat them well. ( )
  taylor_garner | Apr 10, 2016 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible