My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

My Brother Charlie (edition 2010)

by Holly Robinson Peete, Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)

2098655,966 (4.35)1
Member:smdorr
Title:My Brother Charlie
Authors:Holly Robinson Peete
Other authors:Ryan Elizabeth Peete, Holly Robinson Peete, Shane Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:easy, disability, autism, gr. k-3, siblings

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete

A book about twins, a brother and sister. Charlie has autism and the book talks about how Charlie acts differently and the things Charlie and his sister do together.
  Lilith13 | Dec 5, 2014 |
My Brother Charlie is an adorable book about Charlie and his twin sister. The only difference between them is that Charlie haves autism. The book is told by Charlie's twin sister, who describes her brother and all the things he does. Not only is the book's story interesting, it also teaches about autism for those who may not be familiar with it. The illustrations are also really good. The artwork used to create the images was mixed mediums. For those interested in autism or just want a good book to read, then I highly recommend this book for you. ( )
  Remy_Ferrell | Dec 3, 2014 |
This is such a great story. It is about a young girl whose twin brother has Autism. My favorite part of the book was when the girl says, "Charlie has autism. But autism doesn't have Charlie." I love this quote because it is saying that autism does not control Charlie and it does not define who Charlie is. Charlie is just a person, just like everyone else in the world. I think that this is important for children to understand and this book says it perfectly.

I also really liked the illustrations in this book as well. They really draw the reader in and we get to see what Charlie likes to do. The pictures also went well with the story and the setting that being described. Overall, this book was an excellent read. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 30, 2014 |
The author co-wrote this story with her daughter about her son, who has autism. Callie and Charlie are twins but this story is told from Callie's point of view. Charlie never kissed their mom like Callie did, he also never said I love you. They always thought something was wrong wit him but people said he was ok. Once he got a little older they learned that Charlie's brain worked different because he had autism. The doctor told them he would never say I love you, because he doesn't know how to express his feelings. Callie wishes she could crawl inside her brother's head and see how he thinks. Charlie finally does say I love you, when Callie hurts her toe he tells her, ' Don't cry, I love You." I like the line in the book that say Charlie has autism, autism doesn't have Charlie. That line is very powerful and that lesson is what we need to teach our students. I would recommend this book to K-3. ( )
  epoche | Nov 14, 2014 |
This was a great book to read. The author writes this book from the viewpoint of a sister who's brother was diagnosed with autism. The books informs young readers of how Charlie was diagnosed with autism and how it has affected his family. It was a very positive book and I would highly recommend it to any parent who has recently had a child diagnosed with autism. At the end of the book the author has a page about why they wrote the book and how it can help people. There was no page that said where the author got the information about autism. This would be a good book to read to students to encourage acceptance. ( )
  jpons | Nov 4, 2014 |

From bestselling author and actress Holly Robinson Peete--a heartwarming story about a boy who happens to be autistic, based on Holly's son, who has autism.

"Charlie has autism. His brain works in a special way. It's harder for him to make friends. Or show his true feelings. Or stay safe." But as his big sister tells us, for everything that Charlie can't do well, there are plenty more things that he's good at. He knows the names of all the American presidents. He knows stuff about airplanes. And he can even play the piano better than anyone he knows.

Actress and national autism spokesperson Holly Robinson Peete collaborates with her daughter on this book based on Holly's 10-year-old son, who has autism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

A girl tells what it is like living with her twin brother who has autism and sometimes finds it hard to communicate with words, but who, in most ways, is just like any other boy. Includes authors' note about autism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible