At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales…

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror (1936)

by H. P. Lovecraft

Excellent, as expected. Despite the fame of At the Mountains of Madness, my favorite tale was actually The Dreams in the Witch-House. Lovecraft has built an intricate, fascinating universe and this tale affords glimpses into multiple pieces of that universe. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Aug 13, 2014 |
Contains the eponymous story, Lovecraft at his best, and three others, all fairly good. Randolph Carter makes an appearance, although he isn't a dreamer, and one story takes place entirely in Arkham.
4 stars on oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
Erudite, lucid, & profound, several stories in this volume are remarkable, but "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" stands out entirely - perhaps the best tale of horror/urban fantasy ever written, certainly the most intelligently repulsive. ( )
  nielspeterqm | Jul 6, 2014 |
To be clear.. I only read the story 'At the Mountains of Madness'

The best part about this book was the brevity. I also enjoyed the title itself... so dramatic. I think that I probably just don't appreciate Lovecraft's style of writing. I was bored. There were sections of the book that I kept thinking, 'Have I seen this movie?' The beginning - especially when it's discovered that Lake's team has been slaughtered - feels very reminiscent of something that I've seen.

Anyway - the book. It felt slow and the lack of description of actual events made it tedious. Maybe just not my style. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
At The Mountain of Madness is really a novella included in 1001 (1294) Books You Must Read Before You Die. It is a first person narration by the geologist Dyer who reports in scientific detail on a trip to Antarctica. The narrator feels forced to speak out about the previous scientific expedition to Antarctica to stop another expedition from going to explore Antarctica. While in Antarctica, a survey group, isolated by storm was transmitting back to the other team their unusual finds. After the storm no more is heard and when the other team goes to their camp, they find all are dead or missing and the camp has been left in a strange and horrible condition. The narrator and Danforth take up one of the planes to further explore the area and find evidence of a previous life form on earth. What they find leaves Danforth deranged and the narrator has kept his silence knowing that it would not be believed.
Lovecraft was influenced by Poe and references Poe in the story. Poe also would tell a tale of horror with narration and implication rather than direct. He creates the horror through slow building of suspense. This work is truly science fiction with its scientific detail and fantasy and horror with its references to the Mythos. This story references the Cthulhu Mythos and the mythology of The Old Ones. Lovecraft works have influenced the genres of horror and occult.
I did not enjoy this work though glad I read it. I struggled with the endless detail of the architecture and drawings. I spent time looking up images on the internet so I could get a picture of the many references to the Cthulhu Mythos and The Old Ones. Did it create horror. Yes, because my reaction to horror is “you dummy, turn around and get out of there already!” and that is how I felt when reading this story.
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
This collection contains 4 stories ("At the Mountains of Madness", "The Shunned House", "The Dreams in the Witch-House", and "The Statement of Randolph Carter") and SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED with other, differing collections.

Contents:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345329457, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:28 -0400)

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless--or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones. Three additional strange tales, written as only H.P. Lovecraft can write, are also included in this macabre collection of the strange and the weird.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,104,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible