At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales…

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror (1936)

by H. P. Lovecraft

1,241None6,366 (3.94)49
1001 (7) 1001 books (7) American (8) Antarctica (11) anthology (22) classic (11) classics (6) collection (24) cthulhu (34) Cthulhu Mythos (20) fantasy (51) fiction (127) horror (298) horror fiction (6) Lovecraft (52) Lovecraftian (8) mythos (8) novel (5) own (6) paperback (8) pulp (7) read (18) science fiction (41) sf (13) sff (5) short stories (82) supernatural (7) to-read (23) unread (7) weird fiction (10)

To be clear.. I only read the story 'At the Mountains of Madness'

The best part about this book was the brevity. I also enjoyed the title itself... so dramatic. I think that I probably just don't appreciate Lovecraft's style of writing. I was bored. There were sections of the book that I kept thinking, 'Have I seen this movie?' The beginning - especially when it's discovered that Lake's team has been slaughtered - feels very reminiscent of something that I've seen.

Anyway - the book. It felt slow and the lack of description of actual events made it tedious. Maybe just not my style. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
At The Mountain of Madness is really a novella included in 1001 (1294) Books You Must Read Before You Die. It is a first person narration by the geologist Dyer who reports in scientific detail on a trip to Antarctica. The narrator feels forced to speak out about the previous scientific expedition to Antarctica to stop another expedition from going to explore Antarctica. While in Antarctica, a survey group, isolated by storm was transmitting back to the other team their unusual finds. After the storm no more is heard and when the other team goes to their camp, they find all are dead or missing and the camp has been left in a strange and horrible condition. The narrator and Danforth take up one of the planes to further explore the area and find evidence of a previous life form on earth. What they find leaves Danforth deranged and the narrator has kept his silence knowing that it would not be believed.
Lovecraft was influenced by Poe and references Poe in the story. Poe also would tell a tale of horror with narration and implication rather than direct. He creates the horror through slow building of suspense. This work is truly science fiction with its scientific detail and fantasy and horror with its references to the Mythos. This story references the Cthulhu Mythos and the mythology of The Old Ones. Lovecraft works have influenced the genres of horror and occult.
I did not enjoy this work though glad I read it. I struggled with the endless detail of the architecture and drawings. I spent time looking up images on the internet so I could get a picture of the many references to the Cthulhu Mythos and The Old Ones. Did it create horror. Yes, because my reaction to horror is “you dummy, turn around and get out of there already!” and that is how I felt when reading this story.
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
I did not enjoy this book at all. It is written from the perspective of a scientist who has experience a horrible event on an expedition to Antarctica. The book read like a science journal (probably intentionally) that I ended up skimming it. When I got to the scary part, I wasn't exactly sure what was happening. This is included in the 1001 books to read before you die list, but I have to really question it as a choice. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
This is my first experience reading Lovecraft - who is touted on the back cover as a forerunner of Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Anne Rice. I enjoy the horror genre in spurts and needed a spooky fix for October.

This book is a compilation of short stories. I have to say that the title story "At the Mountains of Madness" was the longest and my least favorite. It felt over-written to me. I was interested in where the story was going, but the lengthy descriptions were distracting. The second story "The Shunned House" was good and mildly creepy. My favorite of these collected tales was the third story "The Dreams in the Witch House"; a story of a mathematician who has 'dreams' of a witch and her familiar while renting a room in the house she once occupied. The fourth ("The Statement of Randolph Carter") is extremely short - almost too short. It's almost as if Lovecraft can't find the balance for the right length of a short horror story.

I am not sure if I will read more Lovecraft based on these short stories, but I did like them overall. ( )
  TinaV95 | Oct 19, 2012 |
This collection contains 4 stories ("At the Mountains of Madness", "The Shunned House", "The Dreams in the Witch-House", and "The Statement of Randolph Carter") and SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED with other, differing collections.

Contents:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345329457, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:28 -0400)

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless--or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones. Three additional strange tales, written as only H.P. Lovecraft can write, are also included in this macabre collection of the strange and the weird.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible