How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through…

How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond

by Cesar Millan

219653,142 (3.5)3

This book follows the already known way of Cesar handling dogs: pack leader is the way. Fun to read and informative. ( )
  elviomedeiros | Mar 6, 2014 |
Didn't really learn anything new.Enjoyed reading about the different puppies and it's fun to try and catch glimpses of them on the show. ( )
  MisKaren1 | Aug 8, 2012 |
My dream is of a world where there are fewer dogs accidentally biting children, fewer dog altercations, and no more fatal dog attacks. By socializing your puppy to dogs and people when she is young and making sure her manners are in order with both species, you are not only shaping a better life for the both of you, you are also contributing to the pro-dog society that I am committed to helping build. p. 228

The quote above is just about as Cesar Milan as a person can get. When I was looking for puppy books, I kept finding the same thing over and over again. When I hit Cesar's books, I found the motherload. He intertwines that puppy stuff with Cesar...he takes you into the wolf pack to see how dogs have evolved and WHY certain training techniques work better than others. This makes so much sense to me and is a peaceful, gentle way to train a puppy. ( )
  epkwrsmith | Apr 4, 2012 |
Dogs begin learning about your authority from the first moment that they meet you. In this book, Cesar walks people through the process of preparing for your puppy, picking out a dog, introducing your new puppy to your home and setting boundaries.

Cesar recommends picking a dog with the lower energy level than you have, so you’ll always be able to give your dog enough time and attention. You also need to make sure your home and life is ready for a dog before you commit to raising one.

I would highly recommend reading this BEFORE you get a dog. There are so many important tips that I would have liked to know before we brought out dog home. It turns out we did most things right, but there are some things we would have done differently. The book is incredibly helpful no matter what stage you are in with your dog, but would be most beneficial for soon-to-be owners. ( )
1 vote bookworm12 | Jun 7, 2011 |
Some of the advice in this book was helpful and insightful but other parts just made me roll my eyes. Loved the approach, though, and hearing stories about the dogs. ( )
  janeycanuck | Dec 12, 2010 |

From the bestselling author and star of National Geographic Channel's Dog Whisperer, the only resource you’ll need for raising a happy, healthy dog.

For the millions of people every year who consider bringing a puppy into their lives–as well as those who have already brought a dog home–Cesar Millan, the preeminent dog behavior expert, says, "Yes, you can raise the perfect dog!" It all starts with the proper foundation in the early years. Here, Cesar tells you everything you need to know to create the best environment for a well-balanced dog in order to avoid behavior issues in the future, and shows you how to correct the most common behavior issues for young dogs.

Based on Cesar’s own detailed experiences raising individual puppies from some of the most popular breeds, How to Raise the Perfect Dog is like having Cesar right beside you, as your own personal expert, coaching you and your dog from the first day of your life together.

Packed with new information aimed specifically at the particular needs of puppies and adolescents, and written in Cesar's friendly, accessible style, How to Raise the Perfect Dog answers all the most commonly asked questions and guides you towards a loving, satisfying life-long relationship with your best friend.

#1 New York Times bestselling author, Cesar Millan shows you how to raise the perfect dog and prevent behavior issues before they start, including:
• what to expect from each stage of your puppy's development
• quick and easy housebreaking
• the essentials of proper nutrition
• the importance of vaccinating–and of not over-vaccinating
• creating perfect obedience from day one through rules, boundaries, and calm-assertive leadership
• how to avoid the most common mistakes owners make raising puppies and young dogs
• how to correct any issue before it becomes a problem
• unique exercises and play to bring out the best in every breed

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:31 -0400)

This friendly, accessible work is packed with information about how to raise the perfect puppy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible