Die A Little by Megan Abbott

Die A Little (edition 2008)

by Megan Abbott

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Die A Little
Authors:Megan Abbott
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Noir, TBR

Die A Little by Megan Abbott

One of several "noir" novels. A skilled writer but didn't care for the "chick lit" perspective. And the ending was bad - didn't tie up even a fraction of what was going on. Probably won't read others. ( )
  rwt42 | Mar 26, 2017 |
I don't normally choose "modern noir" or "hardboiled" books, but I read a story by Megan Abbott in a collection (In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper) and liked that story enough to try one of her books. Die A Little was written well, I could "see" it in my mind and I liked the characters. It was a pretty fast read and enjoyable enough that I will try another of Abbott's books. ( )
  PeggyK49 | Feb 23, 2017 |
A terrific debut noir novel (2005)! Set in the 1950's, Lora, a schoolteacher, lives with her brother Bill, a rising star in the DA's office. Orphaned years earlier, their relationship is especially close, and each would go to great lengths to protect one another.

Their orderly life is disrupted when Bill meets glamorous Alice and after a whirlwind romance, they marry. Alice busies herself becoming the perfect 1950s housewife with a flurry of cooking, decorating, and neighborhood parties, even going so far as to teach Home Ec at Lora's school. The descriptions of life in the 1950's were spot on.

Lora gradually gets glimpses of Alice which suggests there is more to her than meets the eye. Out of a desire to protect her brother (and perhaps out of jealousy too?) she begins to investigate Alice's past life and is soon drawn into a seamy underworld.

Abbott's writing is so good and atmospheric I could literally see it played out in my mind as a movie. The mystery and suspense build slowly and Lora's character especially was intriguing as she comes face to face with her own darker side.

This is my second noir novel by Abbott and I could gobble them down like potato chips - delicious! ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Mostly delicious. As I said in one of my updates, it's like an episode of Perry Mason if Erle Stanley Gardner used words like "labial". I did trip up a little bit in the middle when I found myself unable to believe that the narrator would have done what she did and although I righted myself pretty quickly from then on in I could "see the wires". That may have been me, though, rather than the writing. Still very enjoyable. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
For Josh.
Later, the things I would think about.

FEMME FATALES

OBSESSIVE LOVE

DOUBLE CROSSES

How does a respectable young woman fall into Los Angeles' hard-boiled underworld?

Shadow-dodging through the glamorous world of 1950s Hollywood and its seedy flip side, Megan Abbott's debut, Die a Little, is a gem of the darkest hue. This ingenious twist on a classic noir tale tells the story of Lora King, a schoolteacher, and her brother Bill, a junior investigator with the district attorney's office. Lora's comfortable, suburban life is jarringly disrupted when Bill falls in love with a mysterious young woman named Alice Steele, a Hollywood wardrobe assistant with a murky past.

Made sisters by marriage but not by choice, the bond between Lora and Alice is marred by envy and mistrust. Spurred on by inconsistencies in Alice's personal history and possibly jealous of Alice's hold on her brother, Lora finds herself lured into the dark alleys and mean streets of seamy Los Angeles. Assuming the role of amateur detective, she uncovers a shadowy world of drugs, prostitution, and ultimately, murder.

Lora's fascination with Alice's "sins" increases in direct proportion to the escalation of her own relationship with Mike Standish, a charmingly amoral press agent who appears to know more about his old friend Alice than he reveals. The deeper Lora digs to uncover Alice's secrets, the more her own life begins to resemble Alice's sinister past -- and present.

Steeped in atmospheric suspense and voyeuristic appeal, Die a Little shines as a dark star among Hollywood lights.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Suspicious of her new sister-in-law's inconsistent personal history, Lora King delves into the woman's possibly shady past while pursuing a questionable relationship of her own with a press agent who appears to know more than he reveals.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,223,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible