Die A Little by Megan Abbott

Die A Little (edition 2008)

by Megan Abbott

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Die A Little
Authors:Megan Abbott
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, Noir, TBR

Die A Little by Megan Abbott

Mostly delicious. As I said in one of my updates, it's like an episode of Perry Mason if Erle Stanley Gardner used words like "labial". I did trip up a little bit in the middle when I found myself unable to believe that the narrator would have done what she did and although I righted myself pretty quickly from then on in I could "see the wires". That may have been me, though, rather than the writing. Still very enjoyable. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
Gossipy book about a sister, who is drawn into the circle of associates of her sil. Really shallow characters, little story line. ( )
  Pmaurer | Nov 28, 2014 |
The 1950s seems to be an idealized era, full of change and promise; some would say it was a simpler time. Veterans were settling down to desk jobs, marrying, and raising families of their own. Women's fashion, technology, and the entertainment world were swerving in a new direction. Everyone seemed to be generally prospering and there was relative peace. That's the world that Lora, a twenty-something school teacher, and her brother Bill live in: a serene, quiet existence in West Pasadena.

The day Alice Steele careens into Bill's life, Lora can't help but feel that life as they know it will never be the same again. Alice has been places, knows things, and as she digs her heels into Bill's heart, she brings along friends from her old life in Hollywood and seedy Los Angeles. How bad can she be? Just you wait!

I really enjoyed this book! After finding James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia gripping but too dark for my liking, I found Abbott to be just the right balance. The female perspective was nice, but like Gillian Flynn, she doesn't hold any punches. Things get pretty gritty, so hold on your hats and short laced gloves! ( )
  dreamydress48 | May 11, 2014 |
For Josh.
Later, the things I would think about.

FEMME FATALES

OBSESSIVE LOVE

DOUBLE CROSSES

How does a respectable young woman fall into Los Angeles' hard-boiled underworld?

Shadow-dodging through the glamorous world of 1950s Hollywood and its seedy flip side, Megan Abbott's debut, Die a Little, is a gem of the darkest hue. This ingenious twist on a classic noir tale tells the story of Lora King, a schoolteacher, and her brother Bill, a junior investigator with the district attorney's office. Lora's comfortable, suburban life is jarringly disrupted when Bill falls in love with a mysterious young woman named Alice Steele, a Hollywood wardrobe assistant with a murky past.

Made sisters by marriage but not by choice, the bond between Lora and Alice is marred by envy and mistrust. Spurred on by inconsistencies in Alice's personal history and possibly jealous of Alice's hold on her brother, Lora finds herself lured into the dark alleys and mean streets of seamy Los Angeles. Assuming the role of amateur detective, she uncovers a shadowy world of drugs, prostitution, and ultimately, murder.

Lora's fascination with Alice's "sins" increases in direct proportion to the escalation of her own relationship with Mike Standish, a charmingly amoral press agent who appears to know more about his old friend Alice than he reveals. The deeper Lora digs to uncover Alice's secrets, the more her own life begins to resemble Alice's sinister past -- and present.

Steeped in atmospheric suspense and voyeuristic appeal, Die a Little shines as a dark star among Hollywood lights.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Suspicious of her new sister-in-law's inconsistent personal history, Lora King delves into the woman's possibly shady past while pursuing a questionable relationship of her own with a press agent who appears to know more than he reveals.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible