Bury me deep by Megan E. Abbott

Bury me deep (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Megan E. Abbott

Member:jillmwo
Title:Bury me deep
Authors:Megan E. Abbott
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2009.
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, Ridley 2011

Bury Me Deep by Megan Abbott (2009)

Eileen: A Novel by Ottessa Moshfegh (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both are excellent examples of American Noir.
    The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd by Jana Bommersbach (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This book tells the true story of Winnie Ruth Judd, upon whom this book is based.

In 1930s Phoenix, Marion has been left alone by her doctor-husband, who has gone to work in Mexico as a sort of rehab for his heroin addiction. Naive Marion gets mixed up with a couple of party girls (who are also lesbian lovers), and through them, meets a married businessman who seduces her. As she learns more about her love, Marion starts shedding her naivete, and when violence ensues, she finds out just what she's willing to do.

It took me a while to get used to Abbot's writing style; she likes to string together long sentences linked by multiple ands. Once I got into the rhythm of the writing, the novel rocked right along. As it was based on true events, the story did feel a little thin in places, since it had to be stretched to fit the actual circumstances. I didn't agree with all of Marion's decisions, but I admired her growth as a character. This novel does underscore all of the ridiculous restrictions women had to live under during that time. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 24, 2016 |
The corridor, filled with girls - she saw suddenly how it appeared to him. How it was like the grandest candy counter in the finest department store in town. A candy counter packed fat with brassy blond nougats and licorice-whip brunettes and auburn twists of taffy with round cinnamon-button cheeks, honey-faced brickle with sweet dimpled legs powder sweet as marshmallow, jellied lips of every color, with mouths red and glossy and waiting for him. He need only drop his pennies on the counter and take his pick. And pick and pick. Candy Man.

I've got to hand it to Megan Abbott, she really can say something when she gets going. I rarely seek a 'different level' when reading fiction - which is what annoyed me so much about my college lit classes - but with this book I couldn't help but think about women of that time and their limited stature in society. I could almost hear my women's-lit professor in my head. I didn't like the book as much as Queenpin but I personally think it's always hard to top your first exposure to a really good thing. Abbott's always good for when you feel like a little dirty Noir. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Jun 2, 2012 |
This was a readable book which on the surface is a fairly obvious thing to say but I hope it also conveys a lukewarm tone. I liked the style – third person limited with Megan Abbott capturing Marion Seeley’s voice partly through repeating words as if she’s coming to terms with what’s going on. Closely based, though, as the book is on actual murders which had the public enthralled at the time, this novel really did little but flesh out what may have happened. It captures an era and is evocative in tone but I felt disengaged. When your main character’s chief appeal is her looks, then the reader is not going to be so involved. ( )
  evening | May 26, 2012 |
love Megan Abbott's writing. Wish all her books were hardback. ( )
  fordbarbara | Sep 21, 2010 |
Bury Me Deep is a crime novel inspired by the true story of Winnie Ruth Judd as known as the Trunk Murderess. Abbott fictionizes the events that lead up the murder of a nurse that she works with and her roommate. The story is based in the 1930's and explores such taboo life style choices as: adultery, drug and alcohol use, sexual orientation and gender bias. I was intrigued by the how the various elements came to play out in the chosen time period. ( )
  speedy74 | Jun 25, 2010 |
For Josh, because words dont ever fit even what they are trying to say at
Thrill parties every night over on Hussel Street.

Inspired by this notorious true crime, Edgar-winning author Megan Abbott's novel "Bury Me Deep" is the story of Marion Seeley, a young woman abandoned in Phoenix by her doctor husband, who meets -- and falls hard for -- the charming Joe Lanigan, a local rogue and politician on the rise, whose ties to Marion and her two friends bring events to a dangerous collision.… (more)

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,402,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible