Bury me deep by Megan E. Abbott

Bury me deep (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Megan E. Abbott

Member:jillmwo
Title:Bury me deep
Authors:Megan E. Abbott
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, Ridley 2011

Bury Me Deep by Megan Abbott (2009)

The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd by Jana Bommersbach (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This book tells the true story of Winnie Ruth Judd, upon whom this book is based.

The corridor, filled with girls - she saw suddenly how it appeared to him. How it was like the grandest candy counter in the finest department store in town. A candy counter packed fat with brassy blond nougats and licorice-whip brunettes and auburn twists of taffy with round cinnamon-button cheeks, honey-faced brickle with sweet dimpled legs powder sweet as marshmallow, jellied lips of every color, with mouths red and glossy and waiting for him. He need only drop his pennies on the counter and take his pick. And pick and pick. Candy Man.

I've got to hand it to Megan Abbott, she really can say something when she gets going. I rarely seek a 'different level' when reading fiction - which is what annoyed me so much about my college lit classes - but with this book I couldn't help but think about women of that time and their limited stature in society. I could almost hear my women's-lit professor in my head. I didn't like the book as much as Queenpin but I personally think it's always hard to top your first exposure to a really good thing. Abbott's always good for when you feel like a little dirty Noir. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Jun 2, 2012 |
This was a readable book which on the surface is a fairly obvious thing to say but I hope it also conveys a lukewarm tone. I liked the style – third person limited with Megan Abbott capturing Marion Seeley’s voice partly through repeating words as if she’s coming to terms with what’s going on. Closely based, though, as the book is on actual murders which had the public enthralled at the time, this novel really did little but flesh out what may have happened. It captures an era and is evocative in tone but I felt disengaged. When your main character’s chief appeal is her looks, then the reader is not going to be so involved. ( )
  evening | May 26, 2012 |
love Megan Abbott's writing. Wish all her books were hardback. ( )
  fordbarbara | Sep 21, 2010 |
Bury Me Deep is a crime novel inspired by the true story of Winnie Ruth Judd as known as the Trunk Murderess. Abbott fictionizes the events that lead up the murder of a nurse that she works with and her roommate. The story is based in the 1930's and explores such taboo life style choices as: adultery, drug and alcohol use, sexual orientation and gender bias. I was intrigued by the how the various elements came to play out in the chosen time period. ( )
  speedy74 | Jun 25, 2010 |
In October 1931, a station agent found two large trunks abandoned in Los Angeles' Southern Pacific Station. What he found inside ignited one of the most scandalous tabloid sensations of the decade.

BURY ME DEEP is a story of naivete, of corruption, and of drug addiction.
Marion Seeley is left on her own in Phoenix by her husband who goes off to Mexico to simultaneously overcome his own drug addiction and to make his fortune. Marion, who really knows very little of the seamier side of life, goes to work at a medical clinic and is befriended by Louise and her roommate Ginny. Ginny is dying from TB and her treatments are expensive. To pay for them (and to live the "high life") Louise entertains powerful men with wild parties. She introduces Marion to Joe Lanigan, local politician, and as corrupt as they come. From that point on Marion's future spirals downwards.

BURY ME DEEP is an appalling story told so authentically that in the end you just can't believe what happened to Marion.The tension continues to build right into the final pages. ( )
  smik | Jun 7, 2010 |
For Josh, because words dont ever fit even what they are trying to say at
Thrill parties every night over on Hussel Street.

Inspired by this notorious true crime, Edgar-winning author Megan Abbott's novel "Bury Me Deep" is the story of Marion Seeley, a young woman abandoned in Phoenix by her doctor husband, who meets -- and falls hard for -- the charming Joe Lanigan, a local rogue and politician on the rise, whose ties to Marion and her two friends bring events to a dangerous collision.… (more)

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible