The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:…

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling (edition 2011)

by Maryrose Wood, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Member:daisyacg
Title:The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling
Authors:Maryrose Wood
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:ChildChoices2012Week6, fantasy

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Both books play with the idea of the "old-fashioned" children's story and are a lot of fun.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jfoster_sf)
    The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken (kaledrina)
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are modern children's historical fiction that are heavily influenced by 19th century gothic literature.
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)
    Horton Halfpott, or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor, or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angleberger (kaledrina)

English (71)  German (1)  All languages (72)
The Mysterious Howling is absolutely hilarious! This audio book is narrated by Katherine Kellgren who also reads the Bloody Jack audio books. In this first installment of the Incorrigible Children the reader is introduced to the young residents of Ashton Place who have literally been raised by wolves. Luckily, they have resourceful and plucky young Swanburne Academy graduate, Miss Penelope Lumley, as their new governess. Prepare to laugh out loud at the antics of Miss Lumley and her young charges. I'm sure the book is fun to read in print format as well but the vocal performance of Katherine Kellgren adds to the hilarity of the story. Looking forward to the next volume in this series. 4 stars ( )
  68papyrus | Apr 8, 2014 |
Now there was a good bit of fun! I'm not a frequent reader of YA novels, but I do enjoy them once in a while, and this one turned out to be a real treat. Fifteen year-old Penelope Lumley, just graduated from the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females sometime in the mid 19th century, is on her way to her first job interview as a potential governess. The employers had asked for someone who gets along with animals, and as it happens she is a great animal lover and is very much looking forward to finding out what sort of creatures she will find at her potential employers'. When she arrives at Ashton place with some trepidation, not being sure whether she will be able to call this place her home or be sent away, she is greeted with mysterious howling sounds, which everyone in the estate seems to be at pains not to hear. But inevitably, she is hired and comes face to face with her charges; three young siblings, two boys and a small girl, who have grown up wild in the local woods, seemingly having been raised by wolves. Her mandate of teaching them French and Latin and Geography and Mathematics, will also have to include teaching them first to start talking like human beings and (for the boys) how to properly put a pair of pants on. The children are very attached to her and she's delighted with their progress, though of course a big challenge is thrown her way; she must groom them to behave irreproachably and in very short order, to be the main attraction at a grand Christmas ball to which high dignitaries and the crème de la crème of society will be invited, and this when the children are still barely able to contain themselves from howling at the least provocation! Elements of Jane Eyre come into play when some of the mysterious howlings seemingly turn out to originate from a hidden portion of the attic. But the secret of this strange mystery will only be revealed in a further instalment in the series it seems, which is just as well because I will happily continue to follow along the adventures of Miss Lumley and the Incorrigibles. ( )
  Smiler69 | Mar 31, 2014 |
It's perfect, I love it! I love the illustrations too and I am glad to say I recognized the illustrator in another book. I'm so proud :) ( )
1 vote lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
Thank you, Marla, for this wonderful birthday gift :)

I am a fan of Klassen's art, which is why this book had attracted my attention in the first place. After reading Connie Willis's 1,200plus-page epic that revolves around two really insufferable incorrigible children, I figured, hey, why not keep it going? Though I must admit, the Incorrigibles are nothing compared to Alf and Binnie; in fact, we learn pretty quickly that they are smart, funny, and impressively obedient. Mysteries are galore in this little books. Some are more obvious than others, but all will have to wait until I read the next book in the series.

Apart from some writing elements, I really do not think this book is anything like Lemony Snicket. The main character of this book is Penelope, a young governess fresh out of school, not the children (I would humbly propose...)

A page turner for anyone who likes fast squirrel chases and hates wallpaper! ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
After completing her education at the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, 15-year-old Penelope Lumley accepts a post as governess at Ashton Place. The intrepid governess is not daunted upon learning that her three charges have just been captured in the woods where they have been living in the wild. Miss Lumley simply adds instruction in personal grooming, wearing clothing, and speaking to her curriculum of mathematics, geography, language, and literature (with occasional distractions from squirrels). Miss Lumley's skills will soon be put to the test when the lady of the house decides to host a Christmas party with the children in attendance.

Katherine Kellgren's narration further enhances an already delightful fairytale-like story. All of her characterizations are outstanding, but I particularly enjoyed hearing the children's voices as they struggled with human speech. Readers should be forewarned that the story ends with a cliff-hanger. I'm eager to get my hands on the next book in the series, and it will have to be the audio version now I that I know how good it is in that format. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 7, 2013 |

Maryrose Woodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoy, SarahDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was not Miss Penelope Lumley's first journey on a train, but it was the first one she had taken alone.

Fifteen-year-old Miss Penelope Lumley, a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, is hired as governess to three young children who have been raised by wolves and must teach them to behave in a civilized manner quickly, in preparation for a Christmas ball. [retrieved from www.loc.gov (Library of Congress) 8/2/2012]

160 wanted4 pay4 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible