The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:…

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling (edition 2011)

by Maryrose Wood, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Member:daisyacg
Title:The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling
Authors:Maryrose Wood
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:ChildChoices2012Week6, fantasy

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

Recently added bySarah_Beaudette, jennyifer24, dreamydress48, alisonmitchell1, private library
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Both books play with the idea of the "old-fashioned" children's story and are a lot of fun.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jfoster_sf)
    The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken (kaledrina)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are middle grade historical fiction set during the Victorian period featuring young girls who go to work in a mysterious old house :] Both Frost Hollow Hall and The Mysterious Howling have obviously been influenced by Victorian gothics.
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)
    The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are modern children's historical fiction that are heavily influenced by 19th century gothic literature.
    Horton Halfpott, or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor, or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angleberger (kaledrina)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
Great tongue-in-cheek look at the indomitable Miss Lumley and her enlightened view of how to deal with these "incorrigible" children while living within the constraints of her job. There's no way I'm going to stop here-- the back story is hinted at and its chilling to think of how it will play out (before Miss Lumley gets things under control). ( )
  ehousewright | Jan 22, 2015 |
Description: Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?

Thoughts: I read this as an ebook the first time round because I didn't know it was read by Katherine Kellgren at the time. Since that sad state of affairs was remedied in time to listen to books 3 & 4, I was happy to revisit this in audio as I drove to Chattanooga to attend Lucia's birth. I was much less critical of it this time around because 1) Katherine Kellgren! and 2) the nitpicky things that bothered me the first time have been superseded by my enjoyment of the stories and characters and willingness to suspend disbelief more to enjoy them.

Rating: 4.08

Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4
Audio: 5

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4824657 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |

Thoughts: I've been hearing about this book for a while but it didn't completely entice me enough to buy it. Until, that is, Amazon offered it as a Daily Deal and I snagged the ebook for about $2.

This book will most likely appeal to fans of Lemony Snicket as it employs some of the same techniques and themes as those books, chiefly the intelligent and prone-to-explaining narrator and a trio of kids set adrift in hostile world. This one is from the point of view of the lovely governess however, the wonderful Penelope Lumley.

Mild Spoilers

Here's the thing: If I had read this as a kid, it probably would have thrilled me to no end. But there are a few things that required me to repeatedly remind myself of the book's target audience and that I should take it as such. Basically, the story of 3 foundlings who have been raised by wolves is easy enough for me to accept in this framework but my logical brain couldn't stop screaming about the details of the case. Feral children of this providence and these ages are impossible! The kids range from 5-10. Now, if they had been living in the wilderness since the youngest was a year or so, because a child who couldn't walk wouldn't survive, then they'd been there for 4 years. Which means the oldest was 6 at the time. So why doesn't he speak English (or some other human language) and have at least a basic understanding of humans? And again, a child who was abandoned in the woods at the age of 1 and not found until 5 years old would probably never really develop language skills because the window in which those pathways in the brain are created is short and almost entirely closed by 5. Over and over, I just couldn't stop thinking this. It definitely affected my feelings for the book.

End Spoilers

The biggest irritation though? The book ends VERY abruptly with no resolution. The story is literally suspended in the middle of the nitty-gritty, as it were, just when you think you're going to get some answers. I have all kinds of wild theories but not a drop of resolution. I guess I'll have to keep reading... Naturally, the other 3 books in the series are full price.

If this books sounds interesting to you, I would HIGHLY suggest having more than one lined up to read because the cliff hanger is very frustrating.

Rating: 3.7

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/148412#3876367 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
A charming, whimsical, and intriguing start to a new series. Jane Eyre meets Lemony Snicket. ( )
  MadameWho | Nov 17, 2014 |
We listened to this on audiobook, and it was a favorite with the whole family. Hilarious writing and fantastic narration. I knocked off one star because I don't like cliffhanger endings. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |

Maryrose Woodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoy, SarahDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was not Miss Penelope Lumley's first journey on a train, but it was the first one she had taken alone.

Fifteen-year-old Miss Penelope Lumley, a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, is hired as governess to three young children who have been raised by wolves and must teach them to behave in a civilized manner quickly, in preparation for a Christmas ball. [retrieved from www.loc.gov (Library of Congress) 8/2/2012]

160 wanted5 pay4 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible