The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:…

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling (edition 2011)

by Maryrose Wood, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Member:daisyacg
Title:The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling
Authors:Maryrose Wood
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:ChildChoices2012Week6, fantasy

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Both books play with the idea of the "old-fashioned" children's story and are a lot of fun.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jfoster_sf)
    The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken (kaledrina)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are middle grade historical fiction set during the Victorian period featuring young girls who go to work in a mysterious old house :] Both Frost Hollow Hall and The Mysterious Howling have obviously been influenced by Victorian gothics.
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)
    The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are modern children's historical fiction that are heavily influenced by 19th century gothic literature.
    Horton Halfpott, or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor, or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angleberger (kaledrina)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (87)  German (1)  English (88)
I listened to the audio version of this book, first I have to say that Katherine Kellgren was an excellent narrator, she made the narration very enjoyable.

This first installment of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place was great! The writing style reminded me a bit of Lemony Snicket and his Series of Unfortunate Events, but that’s the extent of the familiarity.

Maryrose Wood’s story has the usual gothic novel feel, a young governess, Miss Penelope Lumley (reminiscent of Jane Eyre), is hired to look after Alexander, Cassiopeia and Beowulf in a mansion that seemed filled with mysteries. The children have a very peculiar condition and the master of the house seem to have a secret himself.

The pacing of this novel is perfect, the story has quite a few humorous bits and it was difficult to not fall instantly in love with Alexander, Cassiopeia and Beowulf. They were intelligent and cared for each other and with the help of Miss Lumley they worked hard to assimilate to their new environment in Ashton Place.

This is a great read for families and a book that adults will enjoy as much as children. If you’re a fan of the Lemony Sincket series, this is the book for you. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Very odd writing style for the audience this book is geared towards. I doubt kids will be able to really follow parts. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
This series has been compared to Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, and that comparison is very true, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, I didn't like Lemony Snicket's series, so I wish I had read that comparison before I started this book.  Most of the characters in the book were very flat.  There was a huge mysterious buildup as to who the orphan children really are, but unfortunately, little resolution was given to the end of the story.  One major event was resolved (the Christmas Party), but everything else was pushed off to the next book in the series.  I don't mind cliffhangers, but I would like something to hold me until I get to the next book.  I was left with nothing on this one. Slightly disappointing. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed this. A sweet story, quite cute and funny-- if not particularly deep or exciting. Penny Lumley is an interesting and like-able protagonist to whom I easily related. I appreciated her perspective and her stories of Swanburne Academy.
  daniellamaria8 | Apr 9, 2016 |
A fifteen year old becomes the governess at a strange and mysterious manor. Her charges are three children found living among the wolves; she civilizes them while trying to puzzle out her boss's motives.

Too young for me to enjoy, but a nice read if you've been missing the Lemony Snicket series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Maryrose Woodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoy, SarahDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was not Miss Penelope Lumley's first journey on a train, but it was the first one she had taken alone.

Fifteen-year-old Miss Penelope Lumley, a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, is hired as governess to three young children who have been raised by wolves and must teach them to behave in a civilized manner quickly, in preparation for a Christmas ball. [retrieved from www.loc.gov (Library of Congress) 8/2/2012]

127 wanted5 pay5 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,680,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible