Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace (2002)

by Gore Vidal

The United States has been engaged in what the great historian Charles A. Beard called "perpetual war for perpetual peace." The Federation of American Scientists has cataloged nearly 200 military incursions since 1945 in which the United States has been the aggressor. In a series of penetrating and alarming essays, whose centerpiece is a commentary on the events of September 11, 2001 (deemed too controversial to publish in this country until now) Gore Vidal challenges the comforting consensus following September 11th and goes back and draws connections to Timothy McVeigh's bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. He asks were these simply the acts of "evil-doers?" "Gore Vidal is the master essayist of our age." -- Washington Post "Our greatest living man of letters."--Boston Globe "Vidal's imagination of American politics is so powerful as to compel awe."--Harold Bloom, The New York Review of Books… (more)

English (6)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (7)
a bit of a polemic. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Mar 18, 2020 |
"Interestingly, this book emphasizes something I had not considered that bears emphasis: although there were numerous intelligence failures in detail, Vidal suggests that the Director of Central Intelligence is correct when he claims that 9-11 was not (at root) an intelligence failure--but then leaves unsaid what Vidal says explicitly: it was a policy failure in that Bush-Cheney decided not to alarm the people and not to share the warning information, in part to avoid turbulence and in part because such an attack would be welcome--as Pearl Harbor was welcome--as a means to remilitarize foreign policy.
INTERESTING THAT GORE BELIEVES THAT ROOSEVELT KNEW THE JAPANESSE WERE GOING TO ATTACK-PLB
  plb1934 | May 1, 2009 |
Explains how the U.S. may well incite terror, which it so vehemently now fights. Full of wit, wisdom, and just that classic touch of Vidal satire. ( )
  sweetdissident | Mar 3, 2009 |
“One of the problems of a society as tightly controlled as ours is that we get so little information about what those of our fellow citizens whom we will never know or see are actually thinking and feeling. This seems a paradox when most politics today involves minute-by-minute poll taking on what looks to be every conceivable subject, but, as politicians and pollsters know, it’s how the question is asked that determines the response.” (p. 59)

“’We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.’” - Bill Clinton, March 11, 1993 (p. 114) ( )
  Othemts | Jun 25, 2008 |
What's there to say...? Its Gore Vidal! ( )
  tjrandall79 | Dec 27, 2006 |
It is a law of physics (still on the books when last I looked) that in nature there is no action without reaction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,629,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible