Finally by Wendy Mass

Title:Finally
Authors:Wendy Mass
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages

Finally by Wendy Mass

I was disappointed to find this sequel doesn't follow the same characters, and the pet advice given was criminally bad, but the lessons learned were good (though they'll likely fly over the heads of most younger readers). ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 8, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Jan 30, 2018 |
Couldn't get into it. Sweet but too young/ simplistic for me I guess. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Rory Swenson has been keeping a list of things she'll be allowed to do once she turns twelve, and although she's sure her parents have forgotten a lot of the things they've promised over the years, she has the documentation to prove that they agreed to a variety of things.

Rory is a wonderful character and her big dreams may seem small to some, but when you’ve been waiting FOREVER for a cell phone, a pet, and to be left alone in the house (just to name a few of her wishes), they seem like the key to happiness. Rory plunges into achieving those dreams with reckless abandon that leaves her a bit batter, bruised, and hopped up on caffeine—all while being paid to be an extra in the teen movie being filmed at her school. Along the way, Rory helps others achieve their dreams too, and she does it with such subtlety that there’s a great lesson for readers within the pages of the book without feeling hit over the head with it.

Rory’s parents offer a fine balance between strict and understanding, and her three-year-old brother, Sawyer, offers some excellent comic moments through the course of the book.

Mass’s book reminds me a bit of Judy Blume’s offerings for this age group. Unfortunately there are hints of magical realism that fall flat—especially at the end—and that lowered the number of stars I give it to four.

Read this book to hang out with Rory and her friends. She’s an incredibly likable pre-teen and she handles the many misadventures that come with turning twelve like someone much older—but not in an unrealistic way. The book is completely suitable for its target age range and a refreshingly light read while remaining interesting.

My thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review. ( )
  kalky | Aug 2, 2016 |
Very cute, funny. Not Mass's best. You might want to read [b:11 Birthdays|4835838|11 Birthdays|Wendy Mass|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255792439s/4835838.jpg|4901046] first as it's set in the same school and those characters are friendly with the main chr. in this (and it's a better book imo). This needed a little more depth, a bit more intensity, I think. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
For Allison and Colleen and our 888 adventures!
I'm a big wisher.

Turning 12 isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Get a cell phone. Stay home alone. Go to the mall with best friend and No Parents. Wear makeup. Get contact lenses. Attend a boy-girl party. Rory Swenson has been waiting her whole life to turn twelve. And she's got a list to prove it. Whenever Rory asks her parents for something, they always say, "When you're twelve . . ." Well, in exactly, 18 hours, 36 minutes, and 52 seconds it will finally happen. Rory's life will officially begin!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

After her twelfth birthday, Rory checks off a list of things she is finally allowed to do, but unexpected consequences interfere with her involvement in the movie being shot at her school, while a weird prediction starts to make sense.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible