61 hours by Lee Child

by Lee Child

Member:reading_fox
Title:61 hours
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Transworld Publishers Ltd : Ebook (316 pages)
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Borrowed, Ebooks, Crime, thrillers and adventure, Read but unowned
Tags:!chi, /jr14, crime, greed, revenge, ebook, borrowed, library, use, @2010, drugs

61 Hours by Lee Child

English (87)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  All languages (95)
My first introduction to Author Lee Child's novels was reading, "One Shot". I knew before I even finished the book that I would want to spend more time with character Jack Reacher. I didn't even realize that "One Shot" was the 9th Jack Reacher until I came to post my review on GoodReads. This novel is my 2nd to read but actually the 14th Jack Reacher and again, I'm delighted that I was able to read it as an independent story.

It was a terrific title to read in the midst of this particularly biting cold, harsh, hard winter of 2014 and I say that from SE Pennsylvania or as the Philadelphia weather forecasters refer to it as "north and west of the city". The novel's setting is during a brutally cold winter in South Dakota and Jack Reacher is in the midst of a countdown of 61 hours. I can't imagine many authors being able to successfully craft a novel with the type of countdown used in this story. But not surprisingly, Lee Child begins the countdown with a rhythm all his own and there are twists, turns, and surprises with the turn of each page and as the countdown continues. There's only one thing to advise. There's not a minute to lose - Don't wait another 61 hours before picking up this novel to read! Enjoy!! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
This is the second Jack Reacher book I've read, and it's the latest in the series. Very enjoyable. I'll probably read more! ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
Another fantastic, gripping Jack Reacher thriller from the talented Lee Child. And featuring a librarian! ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
I might have given this book three stars if it hadn't been written by Lee Child, who has written much, much better books. This one reads like a parody of Child's style: short, short sentences; spare description; no over-analyzation, each done to the extreme. In fact, I wondered whether Child hadn't done a James Patterson and rented out his name. This having been said, I did read - in this case "listen" - to the end! ( )
  cherilove | May 21, 2014 |
Coming off Gone Tomorrow (2009), one of the very best among his 13 high-octane thrillers, Child keeps his foot hard on the throttle. There’s always a ticking clock in the background whenever our off-the-grid hero, Jack Reacher, finds a wrong that needs righting, but this time the clock drives the narrative. When a lawyer arrives at a South Dakota prison to visit a client, we’re told that it’s five minutes to three in the afternoon, “exactly 61 hours before it happened.” Meanwhile, Reacher wakes up from a nap to discover that the tour bus on which he’s cadged a ride is spinning out of control on an icy bridge. By the time he helps the injured senior citizens aboard the bus, there are 59 hours left. But we still don’t know what we’re waiting for. The clock continues to tick as Reacher, now without a ride, lands in Boulton, South Dakota, and finds himself helping out the local police as they attempt to protect a key witness in an upcoming drug trial. Then there’s the matter of the peculiar underground installation outside of town, formerly a military outpost but now apparently housing a meth lab. As the hours fall away and the tension builds, we learn more about the installation, the local cops, and a Mexican drug lord whose own clock is ticking in sync with Reacher’s, but we’re still not prepared for what happens when the sixty-first hour arrives. One expects a novel organized around a clock to be plot driven, and that’s certainly true here. But, as always, Child delivers enough juicy details about the landscape, the characters, and Reacher’s idiosyncrasies to give the story texture and to lower our pulse rates, if only momentarily. Even without the apparently game-changing finale, this is Child in top form, but isn’t he always?
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist, Bill Ott

61 Hours just may be one of the best novels in the Reacher series yet. Although not as fast paced as previous entries, it boasts "a Hitchcockian escalation of tension" that, despite the gimmick of a countdown, becomes all the more powerful because of it (Telegraph). It is also more of a "closed-town mystery of the sort that Agatha Christie favored," though, of course, Reacher remains the same uncanny, music-loving drifter fans have come to love (New York Times). Otherwise, Child exhibits his usual gift for characters (particularly the elderly librarian), sharp dialogue, and edge-of-your-seat suspense. Although 61 Hours ends with a cliffhanger, readers need not worry: the 15th Reacher novel is due out this fall.
added by cmwilson101 | editBookstore Magazine

After a brief stop in New York City (Gone Tomorrow), Jack Reacher is back in his element—Smalltown, U.S.A.—in bestseller Child's fine 14th thriller to feature the roving ex-military cop. When a tour bus on which he bummed a ride skids off the road and crashes, Reacher finds himself in Bolton, S.Dak., a tiny burg with big problems. A highly sophisticated methamphetamine lab run by a vicious Mexican drug cartel has begun operating outside town at an abandoned military facility. After figuring out the snow-bound, marooned Reacher's smart, great with weapons, and capable of tapping military intelligence, the helpless local cops enlist his assistance, and, as always, he displays plenty of derring-do, mental acuity, and good old-fashioned decency. While the action is slower than usual, series fans will appreciate some new insights that Child provides into his hero's psyche and background as well as a cliffhanger ending.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

For my editor
the one and only
Kate Miciak
Five minutes to three in the afternoon. Exactly sixty-one hours before it happened.

Jack Reacher is back.

The countdown has begun. Get ready for the most exciting 61 hours of your life. #1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Child’s latest thriller is a ticking time bomb of suspense that builds electric tension on every page.

Sixty-one hours. Not a minute to spare.

A tour bus crashes in a savage snowstorm and lands Jack Reacher in the middle of a deadly confrontation. In nearby Bolton, South Dakota, one brave woman is standing up for justice in a small town threatened by sinister forces. If she’s going to live long enough to testify, she’ll need help. Because a killer is coming to Bolton, a coldly proficient assassin who never misses.

Reacher’s original plan was to keep on moving. But the next 61 hours will change everything. The secrets are deadlier and his enemies are stronger than he could have guessed—but so is the woman whose life he’ll risk his own to save.

In 61 Hours, Lee Child has written a showdown thriller with an explosive ending that readers will talk about for a long time to come.

Reacher arrives accidentally in a small South Dakota town, where during a dangerous winter storm he is enlisted to protect a lone witness who local police hope can help convict a brutal crime ring.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

61 Hours by Lee Child was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,132,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible