61 hours by Lee Child

by Lee Child

Member:reading_fox
Title:61 hours
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Transworld Publishers Ltd : Ebook (316 pages)
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Borrowed, Ebooks, Crime, thrillers and adventure, Read but unowned
Tags:!chi, /jr14, crime, greed, revenge, ebook, borrowed, library, use, @2010, drugs

61 Hours by Lee Child

Recently added byatilio, private library, RonSmedley, Daniella.McCafferty, spartan, nzhunt

English (94)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  All languages (102)
Another terrific book in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Reacher assists a police department in South Dakota regarding several murders and an unknown military instillation near the town. A good read. ( )
  terrygraap | Jul 23, 2015 |
Unlikely plot and settings, but fun. ( )
  MikeRhode | Jun 17, 2015 |
I was recommended to read Lee Child’s work by my sister, who knows my interests in literature well. I was not disappointed...

The character of Jack Reacher is now portrayed in twenty or so novels, plus a couple of short stories. I remember the actor Edward Woodward once playing a television character called The Equaliser, who became a mysterious lone vigilante, dealing with the bad guys with ruthless efficiency, and putting things right for the good guys. It is a common theme in movies and literature, and having been introduced to Lee Child’s creation with one book I have happily devoured all the rest!

What sets this series of books apart from so many others is the quality of the writing. I have often felt let down by authors who present their main character in situations that appear to be a little far-fetched. It is almost as if the writer has sought to thrill his reader by thinking of the most outlandish place he could put his hero, and then using a fraudulent plot device to get him out of trouble. Not so with Child and Reacher.

At the end of 61 Hours it almost seems as if the character might not have survived, but rather than insult the reader by presenting us with a Bond-like scenario, we are allowed to use our imaginations to work it out for ourselves. A sequel? No, the next novel is not that at all, but we are able to use our own intelligence, as well as drip-fed information from the author, to satisfy ourselves that Reacher is not superhuman. He is simply a determined and very fit specimen of manhood who takes every precaution not to get himself killed, and who simply will not accept defeat.

Child uses an extraordinarily simple plot device in 61 Hours: the countdown technique. We start out knowing that something will happen at the end of that announced period of time, but we are not told what. Then at various intervals throughout the story we are given an update on how much time is left, and gradually we can piece together some of the elements so that we have an idea of what we will meet at the denouement. It is not my place to provide a plot-spoiler, but I will say that I was completely floored at the death of one particular character, even if by that time I had already worked out the identity of the killer! I actually felt pleased with myself for that deduction, and on reflection I felt that ‘the chase’ to that point had been a very satisfying journey.

It would be very easy for the Reacher series of books to become formulaic: the bad guys are getting away with murder before the hero turns up out of nowhere, they fight and the good guys are suddenly left wondering where their champion disappeared to. But Lee Child has a knack of steering Reacher into new situations that are both plausible and potentially threatening, while providing a vehicle for his readers that keeps us turning the pages well into the night...

This is thriller-writing of the highest calibre, thoroughly researched, and extremely well thought out. I understand that Mr Child’s preferred choice of writing style is to start with page number one and see where it takes him. That is a technique I have used once myself, but still need to perfect. I can only admire at the skill of the writer here, and seek to emulate his success.
  AlanVeale | May 7, 2015 |
By now you may know that I am a Jack Reacher fan. I also love Lee Child's writing rhythms and enjoy his storytelling... but in this book, I think Reacher may have gotten hit on the head too many times because the reader knows who the bad-guy insider is LONG before Reacher -- and it results in dire consequences. Amusingly, the book ends on speculation about Jack Reacher's life... as if, right? A good book, but not the best one in the series. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Feb 6, 2015 |
Reacher hitches a ride on a tour bus through South Dakota in the middle of winter in a snowstorm. The bus is in an accident and Reacher is stuck in a small town that hosts a prison and a defunct military base being used as a drug storage space run from a distance by a brutal, violent, paranoid, egotistical Mexican drug lord. In his usual fashion, he become embroiled, in instrumental in taking out the druggies, and, for all anyone know in the end, is broiled in the final conflagration. Except we know he isn’t, because there are at least 4 more Reacher novels after this one!
  MargaretYatsevitch | Jan 2, 2015 |
Coming off Gone Tomorrow (2009), one of the very best among his 13 high-octane thrillers, Child keeps his foot hard on the throttle. There’s always a ticking clock in the background whenever our off-the-grid hero, Jack Reacher, finds a wrong that needs righting, but this time the clock drives the narrative. When a lawyer arrives at a South Dakota prison to visit a client, we’re told that it’s five minutes to three in the afternoon, “exactly 61 hours before it happened.” Meanwhile, Reacher wakes up from a nap to discover that the tour bus on which he’s cadged a ride is spinning out of control on an icy bridge. By the time he helps the injured senior citizens aboard the bus, there are 59 hours left. But we still don’t know what we’re waiting for. The clock continues to tick as Reacher, now without a ride, lands in Boulton, South Dakota, and finds himself helping out the local police as they attempt to protect a key witness in an upcoming drug trial. Then there’s the matter of the peculiar underground installation outside of town, formerly a military outpost but now apparently housing a meth lab. As the hours fall away and the tension builds, we learn more about the installation, the local cops, and a Mexican drug lord whose own clock is ticking in sync with Reacher’s, but we’re still not prepared for what happens when the sixty-first hour arrives. One expects a novel organized around a clock to be plot driven, and that’s certainly true here. But, as always, Child delivers enough juicy details about the landscape, the characters, and Reacher’s idiosyncrasies to give the story texture and to lower our pulse rates, if only momentarily. Even without the apparently game-changing finale, this is Child in top form, but isn’t he always?
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist, Bill Ott

61 Hours just may be one of the best novels in the Reacher series yet. Although not as fast paced as previous entries, it boasts "a Hitchcockian escalation of tension" that, despite the gimmick of a countdown, becomes all the more powerful because of it (Telegraph). It is also more of a "closed-town mystery of the sort that Agatha Christie favored," though, of course, Reacher remains the same uncanny, music-loving drifter fans have come to love (New York Times). Otherwise, Child exhibits his usual gift for characters (particularly the elderly librarian), sharp dialogue, and edge-of-your-seat suspense. Although 61 Hours ends with a cliffhanger, readers need not worry: the 15th Reacher novel is due out this fall.
added by cmwilson101 | editBookstore Magazine

After a brief stop in New York City (Gone Tomorrow), Jack Reacher is back in his element—Smalltown, U.S.A.—in bestseller Child's fine 14th thriller to feature the roving ex-military cop. When a tour bus on which he bummed a ride skids off the road and crashes, Reacher finds himself in Bolton, S.Dak., a tiny burg with big problems. A highly sophisticated methamphetamine lab run by a vicious Mexican drug cartel has begun operating outside town at an abandoned military facility. After figuring out the snow-bound, marooned Reacher's smart, great with weapons, and capable of tapping military intelligence, the helpless local cops enlist his assistance, and, as always, he displays plenty of derring-do, mental acuity, and good old-fashioned decency. While the action is slower than usual, series fans will appreciate some new insights that Child provides into his hero's psyche and background as well as a cliffhanger ending.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

For my editor
the one and only
Kate Miciak
Five minutes to three in the afternoon. Exactly sixty-one hours before it happened.

Jack Reacher is back.

The countdown has begun. Get ready for the most exciting 61 hours of your life. #1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Child’s latest thriller is a ticking time bomb of suspense that builds electric tension on every page.

Sixty-one hours. Not a minute to spare.

A tour bus crashes in a savage snowstorm and lands Jack Reacher in the middle of a deadly confrontation. In nearby Bolton, South Dakota, one brave woman is standing up for justice in a small town threatened by sinister forces. If she’s going to live long enough to testify, she’ll need help. Because a killer is coming to Bolton, a coldly proficient assassin who never misses.

Reacher’s original plan was to keep on moving. But the next 61 hours will change everything. The secrets are deadlier and his enemies are stronger than he could have guessed—but so is the woman whose life he’ll risk his own to save.

In 61 Hours, Lee Child has written a showdown thriller with an explosive ending that readers will talk about for a long time to come.

Reacher arrives accidentally in a small South Dakota town, where during a dangerous winter storm he is enlisted to protect a lone witness who local police hope can help convict a brutal crime ring.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

61 Hours by Lee Child was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,143,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible