DELICADEZA Seix Barral by DAVID FOENKINOS

DELICADEZA Seix Barral (original 2009; edition 1900)

by DAVID FOENKINOS

Member:Nagore
Title:DELICADEZA Seix Barral
Authors:DAVID FOENKINOS
Info:EDITORIAL PLANETA S.A (1900), Perfect Paperback
Rating:***

La délicatesse by David Foenkinos (2009)

Recently added byJuliana.Brina, private library, giputzi, Scrambledspirit, Lumentine

French (9)  English (8)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (3)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (29)
I think this book thinks it's charming, but it just left me feeling gross. The main character is this woman who is barely even a person, just a beautiful face with vaguely strange habits. Of course, everyone loves her for no special reason. It just seemed like the author really wanted to fuck Audrey Tautou and decided to write a book about what he would like her personality to be, but he didn't even care that much and just put in a bunch of random crap to make it sort of like Amelie.
Also, don't put in the book who you think should be in the movie. It's tacky. You know who else does that? Dan Brown. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
Ugh- just bad. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is light, fluffy French romantic nonsense. As such, it would not be expected to appear on *my* reading list. In fact I have no idea how it got onto my wish list, as none of my LibraryThing friends list it. Anyway, I read it, and although I wouldn't say my life has been profoundly affected by the experience, I did finish it and quite enjoyed the experience. I liked Foenkinos's quirky style with wacky footnotes, very brief chapters, and slightly irrelevant asides. I haven't seen the movie (nor would I), but the book actually almost seems to have been written with a movie in mind.
It begins with a remarkable similarity to Ann Hood's "Ruby" (ultra-romantic marriage is cut short by the death of the husband when he is hit by a car while jogging).and then focuses on the life of the beautiful young widow and the men she attracts. Having recently read a remarkably thoughtful, introspective, contemplative and sometimes depressing book on relationships (Elizabeth Hay's "Small Change"), perhaps I needed something like "Delicacy" to refresh my reading palate. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 12, 2013 |
I recently discovered Amazon's list of 100 Best Books 2012 and ordered six of the novels cited. Delicacy is a very nice romance. It takes place in Paris. It's very French, so some of the behaviors are rather odd, but I liked it anyway. It's short, but it has some 115 chapters, several of which are ultra brief, clever and amusing, e.g., Chapter 38 "Code for the Door to Markus's Building

A9624"

There are a number of very nice romantic moments, a number of funny ones, a few tragic ones. Altogether a nice story. It has won a number of French awards and sold a ton of books there. ( )
  maneekuhi | Nov 26, 2012 |
Really liked it, specially loved the ending. French is not my first language but it was a comfortable read. ( )
  maib2 | Oct 27, 2012 |

David Foenkinosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benderson, BruceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I don't know how to make peace with things, were each moment to tear itself away from time to give me a kiss. - Cioran
Natalie was rather private (a kind of Swiss femininity).

Natalie grieves; at
work kisses awkward Markus
Natalie wakes up.                          [yalliejane]

The story of Nathalie, of her meeting with the one who'll become her husband, until the day he dies, then her fall, and finally her rebirth thanks to a great human discovery.

49 wanted6 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,007,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible