Beyond the Shadows -- 2008 publication by…

Beyond the Shadows -- 2008 publication (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Weeks

Info:Orbit (2008), Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (2008)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
The final book of the Night Angel Trilogy did not disappoint. Great characters and plot twists that keep you turning the page make this series a real winner. I really appreciate that with all the complexities, the book didn't bog down like some other epics. Would love to read more from Brent Weeks. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
the conclusion. A LOT happens. I'm still confused, to be honest. People pop back up from the dead, have new names, get possessed, get un-possessed, lots of battles, prophecies, etc, etc. Honestly, I felt like I was in a maelstrom reading this book. Just dragged along for the ride. Weeks did such a good job of weaving so much together that I can't pick particular threads to write about, it was all woven so tight.
Blint coming back and his ability to still use the little black magic thing was a bit much though.

Needs to be edited for profanity. It was simply excessive and unnecessary the way Weeks used it. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
This is the last book in the Night Angel trilogy. Kylar is desperate to make Logan Gyre King while Vi is drawn deeper into the Chantry; Elene followed her there. (It’s really difficult to give a better “summary” and not also make it full of spoilers, especially for the first two books of the series …)
I first read this a few months ago in German as ebook and really loved it. Now I listened to the audiobook and wasn’t sure what to think of it. The beginning seemed slower when then I first read it. However, I still loved the ending. The climax provides a great resolution for all of those things that happened in the trilogy and even feeds on facts only mentioned now and then. That is actually the reason why I re-read the trilogy so shortly after first reading it: I wanted to go back and really concentrate on all the little details and hints, knowing the story already.
So all in all I didn’t regret going through the story again. This is a great fantasy series with depth. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
A great conclusion to the Night Angel trilogy! I didn't like it quite as much as I liked the second book, but that's not to say it wasn't a satisfying read. There were a couple of story lines I had hoped would wrap up a little more.. Or maybe not "wrap up" necessarily.. I just wanted to know more about them. But I'm not left feeling disappointed in any way, just curious.

I don't know what else to say.. This is a great trilogy, and I highly recommend it to any/all fantasy fan. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Weeks! ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
I was hesitant to give this one 5 stars, only because, in the final analysis, it's not anything super original. It does not go somewhere new. But, what it attempts to do it accomplishes superbly. I found myself putting it down more than once during the final 100 pages because I did not want to finish reading it. (Good news is that there might be a sequel-yay!) The climax is epic, the revelations/twists are surprising but not to the point where you feel cheated, the one extra reveal is breathtaking, although depending on one's level of cynicism may not be universally welcome. Despite the covers, the main plot line and the sometimes excessive violence this trilogy is not for readers looking for moral ambiguity or grittiness. It's an old fashioned heroic fantasy and a fairly straightforward morality tale, very well done.

One more note: I have complained in the review for the first book about the use of modern language. My main concern was that by using modern phraseology the author would be conveying a level of irony and self-awareness (wink, blink, don't take it too seriously- think A Knight's Tale's use of Queen songs). After finishing the full trilogy, I have to say that even though there's plenty of humor, there's none of the post-modern irony that often ruins current works of fantasy. The issues raised are dead serious and are given full consideration and weight, just as they deserve. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, for all the usual reasons
For my dad, for your excellence and your integrity, and for raising kids who wisper, "Peep!"
Logan Gyre was sitting in the mud and blood of the battlefield of Pavvil's Grove when Terah Graesin came to him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033669, Mass Market Paperback)

Logan Gyre is king of Cenaria, a country under siege, with a threadbare army and little hope. He has one chance - a desperate gamble, but one that could destroy his kingdom.

In the north, the new Godking has a plan. If it comes to fruition, no one will have the power to stop him.

Kylar Stern has no choice. To save his friends-and perhaps his enemies-he must accomplish the impossible: assassinate a goddess.

Beyond the Shadows
is the action-packed conclusion to the Night Angel Trilogy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:30 -0400)

In the trilogy's conclusion, Kylar Stern is hired for one last job--to assassinate a goddess.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,462,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible