Beyond the Shadows -- 2008 publication by…

Beyond the Shadows -- 2008 publication (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Weeks

Member:stefant
Title:Beyond the Shadows -- 2008 publication
Authors:Weeks
Info:
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (2008)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
So many of my friends have liked this, but by the time I got to this book, I was just tired of the world, characters, & series in general. I just never felt connected to most of the characters, I guess. Maybe I'll try again some day. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This is the last instalment of the Night Angel Trilogy, and the culmination of all the story threads coming together.

This book picks up the story right from after the big battle at the end of volume two, and the shocking news that Kylar then learned. With both the north and south in turmoil, new leaders arise. In the north, someone has to replace the Godking. But can the character who does be a better ruler than their father was?

In the south, with the city under the control of a certain lady not suited to be Queen, should those who pledged loyalty to her honour that pledge? and should Kylar deal with her?

Amongst the ongoing story there is the one strong moral question: do you do the right thing when the cost is too high? lots of the characters here will have to consider that.

With more battles looming and darkness on the horizon, can it end happily for everyone?

Let's just say you won't forget the end in a hurry.

But then the series ends, and I was left with a huge anticipation of what next? I admired the way that Weeks brought it all together, but the ending left me with the distinct feeling that there’s another series in the pipeline. I'm waiting. ( )
  Jawin | Jul 19, 2014 |
Book Info: Genre: Dark epic fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of dark epic fantasy
Trigger Warnings: murder, killing, assassination, violence, rape (mentioned but not seen), torture, mutilation, stealing, slavery

My Thoughts: After the first book in this series, it turns more into adult fare. I neglected to mention this in the review for book 2. Also, although not as bad as the first book, this one again has a number of editing errors, including misused words and many missing words. I just can't fathom how this happened; aren't publishing houses supposed to have superior editing staff?

However, all in all, this is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. The ending is a bit abrupt after all the build-up, incorporating a certain element of deus ex machina, but at the same time it makes sense based on the hints that are dropped over the course of books 2 and 3. The author has said he plans to write further books in this universe, set at a point some years in the future, and I will definitely be watching for those. Many of my problems with the first book, such as overuse of tropes, is cleaned up by the end of the series; you can see how the author has grown in writing. I will, in fact, be seeking out more works by this talented author. If you enjoy dark, gritty fantasy that has elements of redemption and hope, then definitely check this trilogy out.

Series Information: The Night Angel Trilogy
Book 1: The Way of Shadows, review linked here
Book 2: Shadow's Edge, review linked here
Book 3: Beyond the Shadows

Disclosure: I purchased the omnibus edition of the trilogy for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Logan Gyre is king of Cenaria, a country under siege, with a threadbare army and little hope. He has one chance—a desperate gamble, but one that could destroy his kingdom.

In the north, the new Godking has a plan. If it comes to fruition, no one will have the power to stop him.

Kylar Stern has no choice. To save his friends—and perhaps his enemies—he must accomplish the impossible: assassinate a goddess. ( )
  Katyas | Jun 2, 2014 |
The final book of the Night Angel Trilogy did not disappoint. Great characters and plot twists that keep you turning the page make this series a real winner. I really appreciate that with all the complexities, the book didn't bog down like some other epics. Would love to read more from Brent Weeks. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
This is the last book in the Night Angel trilogy. Kylar is desperate to make Logan Gyre King while Vi is drawn deeper into the Chantry; Elene followed her there. (It’s really difficult to give a better “summary” and not also make it full of spoilers, especially for the first two books of the series …)
I first read this a few months ago in German as ebook and really loved it. Now I listened to the audiobook and wasn’t sure what to think of it. The beginning seemed slower when then I first read it. However, I still loved the ending. The climax provides a great resolution for all of those things that happened in the trilogy and even feeds on facts only mentioned now and then. That is actually the reason why I re-read the trilogy so shortly after first reading it: I wanted to go back and really concentrate on all the little details and hints, knowing the story already.
So all in all I didn’t regret going through the story again. This is a great fantasy series with depth. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, for all the usual reasons
For my dad, for your excellence and your integrity, and for raising kids who wisper, "Peep!"
Logan Gyre was sitting in the mud and blood of the battlefield of Pavvil's Grove when Terah Graesin came to him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033669, Mass Market Paperback)

Logan Gyre is king of Cenaria, a country under siege, with a threadbare army and little hope. He has one chance - a desperate gamble, but one that could destroy his kingdom.

Kylar Stern has no choice. To save his friends-and perhaps his enemies-he must accomplish the impossible: assassinate a goddess.

Beyond the Shadows
is the action-packed conclusion to the Night Angel Trilogy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:30 -0400)

In the trilogy's conclusion, Kylar Stern is hired for one last job--to assassinate a goddess.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible