Where the God of Love Hangs Out: Fiction by…

Where the God of Love Hangs Out: Fiction (2010)

by Amy Bloom

Wonderful writing, interesting subject matter. The first four stories blew me away -- both in the quality of the prose and in the subject matter (old people with love lives!). The rest of the stories weren't so wonderful, but they were still quite good. I highly recommend this lovely little collection. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed the stories for the most part, but I listened to the audio version, and I honestly felt confused at times when one story ended and another began. I got distracted trying to figure out whether or not the stories were connected or who was narrating, etc. ( )
  booksniff | Aug 20, 2014 |
As the title might reveal, this book of short stories is about love, its complexities and its power. Amy Bloom write an unromanticized account of love and where one might find it. I found her writing to be clear and beautiful, but she definitely pushes the envelope with some of her stories. I wasn't quite ready to follow her there when she did. I suppose I did not enjoy the book as much because I wasn't expecting short stories. I suspect readers who really like the high-brow literary fiction might like this book--as I was reading it I thought of all sorts of essay questions, as if I were reading this for a class. ( )
  Mintypink | Oct 23, 2011 |
Bloom vividly chronicles the inner lives of people caught in emotional and physical constraints — illnesses they are striving to survive, regrets they are trying to allay, desires they often dare not fulfill. She writes in beautifully wrought prose, with spunky humor and a flair for delectably eccentric details.

One by one, they march across the proscenium of Amy Bloom's new story collection, Where the God of Love Hangs Out. They are grouchy academics, pissed-off orphans, and melancholy middle-aged lawyers. They are characters as real as ourselves and our friends, but mysteriously rendered lovable. What makes a character lovable? It's a mysterious thing, the fact that a reader can fall in love with a nonexistent person. If we want to understand how this happens, we ought to look closely at Bloom's collection, which is like a lovability primer.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Claire Dederer (Feb 1, 2010)

There are a lot of losses in “Where the God of Love Hangs Out,” and not just because some of its characters age dramatically. Ms. Bloom is as interested in the forces that rupture bonds as in the ones that, against all odds and sometimes at terrible risk, manage to create them. The subtle, stirring title story ably illustrates Ms. Bloom’s tremendous gift for imagining life as a series of choices, with the paths not taken as vivid as the ones that are.

People, couples and societies are complicated, and all too often, their complexity is flattened on the page. "Where the God of Love Hangs Out" is Amy Bloom's latest pop-up book for grown-ups, a stirring stand-up performance by a cast of 3-D characters rendered in sexy, loving, living color.

"Where the God of Love Hangs Out" is not a collection of love stories. It's short fiction that raises all the messy questions surrounding affairs of the heart: Why him? Why her? Why now? Why not? Bloom's true mastery comes through her well-drawn characters who stumble through telling scenes as they fall in and out of love. Her playful language blends with her innate sense of psychology to create deeply affecting prose.

For Brian
At two o'clock in the morning, no one is to blame.

Love in its may forms and complexities, weaves through this collection by Bloom. Bloom's astonishing and astute stories illuminate the mysteries of passion, family, and friendship. A young woman is haunted by her room-mate's murder; a man and his duaghter-in-law confess their sins in the unlikeliest of places; two middle-aged, married friends find themselves surprisingly drawn to each other, risking all for their love but never underestimating the cost. (978-0-8129-7780-6)

A young woman is haunted by her roommate's murder; a man and his daughter-in-law confess their sins in the unlikeliest of places. In one quartet of interlocking stories, two middle-aged friends, married to others, find themselves surprisingly drawn to each other, risking all while never underestimating the cost. In another linked set of stories, readers follow a mother and son for thirty years as their small and uncertain family becomes an irresistible tribe.… (more)

216 wanted3 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible