Treasure Hunt by John Lescroart

Treasure Hunt

by John Lescroart

I stopped reading this book at page 254 when the author took a plot twist that was obvious and terrible. It wasn't impressing me anyway. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Nov 1, 2017 |
San Francisco PI Wyatt Hunt is about to face the fact that his business is drying up and it is time to close the doors. His only current empolyee, Mickey Dade, literally stumbles across a body and realizes this could be the case that builds up Wyatt's "Hunt Club" business once again. The body turns out to be that of Dominic Como a well-known and apparently well-liked figure in the local non-profit organization arena. As the investigation into his murder continues it seems that Dominic might have been into more than fund-raising for charity as he lived a high profile and affluent life. Mickey befriends one of Dominic's limo drivers, the beautiful, young Alicia, and although she quickly becomes the prime suspect in Dominic's death, Mickey has complete faith in her innocence. Wyatt, however, does not share Mickey's belief in Alicia but he decides to widen his investigation to include others in the charitable foundation society. He uncovers more than he bargained for as another murder rocks the PI's case.

I have been a fan of Lescroart for many years and this book was another good mystery but I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as some of his others. There were too many characters to keep up with and the chief suspect, Alicia, was not likeable enough for me to be pulling for her innocence. This is the second in a series with Wyatt Hunt and I will look forward to the next one.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Well-structured, almost a paean to the classic whodunit - the necessarily obvious suspect, plenty of excellent red herrings, and the scene at the end with the revelation that the real criminal was . . . but I don't want to spoil it for you.

A wealthy philanthropist is murdered, and the attractive young girl who served as a part-time driver for him is the prime suspect, but there are plenty of people who have been drooling over the philanthropist's life style, and can't wait to take his place.

Fun reading. ( )
  jpporter | Jul 26, 2012 |
entertaining and fast read with a predictable ending. nice to see that real places are used in san francisco and living in san francisco that was lots of fun to read. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jan 30, 2012 |
I won this book but it never arrived. Then someone gave me a copy so I got to read it anyway. Although this is the second Wyatt Hunt novel, it didn't suffer at all from my not having read the first one.

This is about a private detective service in San Francisco called The Hunt Club which has been suffering from a lack of business since the economy tanked. It's so bad that Wyatt Hunt has been dreading the day when he will have to let employees Mickey Dade and his sister Tamara go even though they are like his own kids. In fact Wyatt had saved the two from the foster child program and they love him like a father.

Then Mickey sees a hand protruding from a lagoon beside the Palace of Fine Arts and is interviewed on television because the dead man is Dominic Como, a high profile, publicity-loving citizen who serves on the board of several charitable organizations. Suddenly business at the Hunt Club is booming as former clients, and new ones seem to realize they are still in business. Meanwhile, they are trying to solve Como's murder.

Suspects are plentiful because of the nature of his life and the fact that he was associated with such bountiful sums of money in his charitable work. Follow the money is the best advice on this case, although his wife is a good suspect and his associate, the young beautiful Alicia.

Mickey has been studying to be a chef, as a back-up plan in case the firm went under but also because he loves cooking. Cooking, therefore, is a feature of the book, and also San Francisco's renowned restaurants. A funny part of the book is the response they get when they set up a tip line for people who are not fond of the police to phone in anything they think might be related to the murder. The calls they get are hilarious, but one might be a solid tip after all.

I loved the characters Mickey and Wyatt, and was happy to see Tamara come out of what seemed to be a dangerous depression. Wyatt's home is a bit of a stretch to believe, but that's a minor quibble in a very enjoyable read. The mystery isn't easy to solve but at the end I was able to see where clues had been there all along. I'm easily led down the garden path to a red herring. I recommend this book; I think I'll find and read the first Wyatt Hunt novel. ( )
  bjmitch | Mar 24, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052595144X, Hardcover)

Wyatt Hunt-hero of John Lescroart's New York Times bestseller The Hunt Club—returns with a new protégé, in an intricate, tightly plotted thriller set against San Francisco's glamorous charity circuit

Mickey Dade hates deskwork, but that's all he's been doing at Wyatt Hunt's private investigative service, The Hunt Club. His itch to be active is answered when a body is discovered: It's Dominic Como, one of San Francisco's most high-profile activists—a charismatic man known as much for his expensive suits as his work on a half dozen nonprofit boards. One "person of interest" in the case is Como's business associate, Alicia Thorpe-young, gorgeous, and the sister of one of Mickey's friends.

As Mickey and Hunt are pulled into the case, they soon learn that the city's golden fundraiser was involved in some highly suspect deals. And the lovely Alicia knows more about this-and more about Como-than she's letting on.

Treasure Hunt is both a nail-biting thriller and a coming-of-age story, filled with Lescroart's trademark San Francisco flavors. Mickey Dade, its young protagonist, gradually learns the hard lessons Hunt knows only too well, as the world he though he knew unravels around him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

When the body of Dominic Como, one of San Francisco's most high-profile activists--a charismatic man known as much for his expensive suits as his work on a half dozen nonprofit boards--is discovered, P.I. Mickey Dade and P.I. Wyatt Hunt investigate Como's business associate, Alicia Thorpe--young, gorgeous, and the sister of one of Mickey's friends.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,052,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible