Brava, Valentine: A Novel by Adriana…

Brava, Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

Member:jo-jo
Title:Brava, Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:fiction

Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Too predictable. I felt like the author was lecturing me on how people should behave in relationships. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
Parts of this book were very charming or poignant, but had too much emphasis on fashion and interior design to suit me. The interactions and the characters were great, but Valentine's musings tended to get preachy and pedantic. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I was somewhat disappointed : (

Trigiani became one of my favorite authors after I read The Shoemaker’s Wife and then Very Valentine. Her writing style is wonderful. I love the way she can set a scene and describe events, locations and people in loving detail. I fell in love with Valentine Angelini, her gram, and their shoe business in Very Valentine. I loved the boisterous Italian family. I was so looking forward to revisiting the Angelini family here. Unfortunately, this sequel was too over-the-top for me. Valentine is no longer endearing—instead she came off rather whiny and childish. There was a number of stories about the trials and tribulations of various family members with little depth and too much of the stereotypical for me. There were glimmers of the writer I came to love here, and her descriptions of Buenos Aires were lovely. But I find I now care less about the characters I loved in Very Valentine—Oh dear! I’ve no interest in reading the further adventures (if there are any). That’s never happened before. I read this via audiobook, and once again the narrator, Cassandra Campbell, is great—not her fault the story wasn’t there for me. I guess my expectations were too high. : ( Nevertheless, I’m rating it 3 stars. It wasn’t bad, just not close to what I expected…. ( )
  Bluebird1 | Jan 16, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Cassandra Campbell

Trigiani returns to tell the continuing story of Valentine Roncalli and Angelini Shoes. Her beloved grandmother has married and moved to Italy, and has left the business – jointly – to Valentine and her brother, Alfred, with whom she has never gotten along. But he does have a background in finance, and she does want to expand the business with her Angel Shoe line. A stray piece of paper gives her a clue to another branch of the family and the possibility of joining forces propels Valentine and Angel Shoes forward.

I like Trigiani’s chick-lit books. They’re fast reads, full of the every-day drama of life. The Roncalli family members are loud, boisterous, cantankerous, gossipy, emotional and frequently in each other’s business. Relationships are forged and broken. Valentine struggles with her own fears – of being alone, of trusting too much, of not measuring up, of failing, of succeeding. But the more of her works I read, the more I notice how enamored Trigiani is with description. Every dress, shoe, handbag, lamp, sofa, etc is described is exquisite and excruciating detail. It was lovely to read the first time, but after a while I just wanted to skip over all that and get to the plot.

Cassandra Campbell does a wonderful job on the audio. She’s expressive and really handles the family scenes (with all those different characters yelling at and over one another) marvelously well.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I'm so glad I was finally able to listen to this book. I really love Valentine as a character and the Roncalli family makes me feel like my family is maybe less crazy. I love the detail that the author puts into the descriptions of the shoe making process, the changes to Gram's apt and the food served. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

A once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity takes shoe designer and businesswomen Valentine Roncalli from the winding streets of Greenwich Village to the sun-kissed cobblestones of Buenos Aires, where she finds a long-buried secret hidden deep within a family scandal. Once unearthed, the truth rocks the Roncallis and Valentine is determined to hold her family together as she longs to create one of her own.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible