Brava, Valentine: A Novel by Adriana…

Brava, Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

495None20,867 (3.75)10
Member:jo-jo
Title:Brava, Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:fiction

Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Recently added byprivate library, 7417675, MoroccoEdAbroad, julyso, sojo817, matria, cla37619, Spalding, Dureo, sanicki

This is the second book in the Valentine series. I enjoyed it much more than the first book, Very Valentine. That one got off to a very slow start for me. Valentine Roncalli is part of a large Italian American extended family, and it took awhile to get to know all of the characters in the first book. In this one, I already knew them and it was like coming back to catch up with old friends! This story picks up right where book one left off, with a wedding in Tuscany! I love reading stories set in Italy, and the descriptive language in this one is beautiful! The story is good, too, as we learn about Valentine’s developing relationship with her grandmother’s new stepson. I also enjoyed watching Val cope with learning to work with her brother, who she has never really gotten along with. And I was intrigued when Val learned that her grandfather had had a falling out with HIS brother, and she learns she has cousins in Argentina….cousins who add diversity to the family tree! This book left me wanting more, and luckily, the third book is available now! ( )
  Time2Read2 | Jan 27, 2014 |
(121) ( )
  activelearning | Dec 1, 2013 |
Trigiani is one of my favorite authors because of her ability to immerse the reader into the life of her characters. This book delivers on that! Valentine and family/friends are vibrantly portrayed and the story is a straightforward telling of character development and evolution. Each character could easily stand on their own in a separate story because of Trigiani's ability to bring each to life. ( )
  KarenRinn | Nov 2, 2013 |
3.5 stars

This is a continuation of Very Valentine, but I think it could stand alone. I think anything one would need to know was briefly “recapped” when the info was needed. However, there may be *****SPOILERS***** for Very Valentine in this review. Skip to the last paragraph to avoid any potential spoilers in my summary.

Valentine's Gram is marrying a man in Italy, which means she is moving out of the apartment she shares with Valentine in New York City and leaving the family business, making shoes. Valentine feels quite lost, and even worse, Gram has split the business between her and the brother she doesn't get along with, Alfred. Meanwhile, an older man Valentine has spent time with in Italy is wooing her.

Mostly, I liked it. I know I really enjoy Trigiani's writing style and mostly I liked the story, but I really didn't like the ending. The end is what kept me from giving it 4 stars. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 2, 2013 |
The continuation of the tale of Valentine, spinster sister in an Italian American family. I vaguely remember the first book, Very Valentine, so I started basically fresh with this. Yes, it's a chick book, with romance in it. But what really won the fourth star for me were the characters, and the realism there. As Valentine sorted through her Grandmother's stuff, and realized that though her family treasured the family concept, she was the keeper of the family history. To her fell the decisions about what to keep and what to discard. This was just a small bit of the story, but it really resonated with what I'm experiencing in my own world these days. Through it all, as well, Valentine grows up. She learns to read the strengths of her family, and appreciate what each can uniquely offer. She also learns more about love, some hard lessons, some easy. But it was a good book to listen to as I sorted through boxes of my mother's mementos. Art once again mimicking life in some ways. ( )
  bookczuk | Mar 6, 2013 |
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

A once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity takes shoe designer and businesswomen Valentine Roncalli from the winding streets of Greenwich Village to the sun-kissed cobblestones of Buenos Aires, where she finds a long-buried secret hidden deep within a family scandal. Once unearthed, the truth rocks the Roncallis and Valentine is determined to hold her family together as she longs to create one of her own.… (more)

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,449,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible