Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Forget You (edition 2010)

by Jennifer Echols

Collections:ebook
Rating:**
Tags:realistic

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols (Anonymous user)
    Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols (Anonymous user)

Like most of Jennifer Echols' books, I read Forget You in one day. It seems that once Echols' prose dances in front of me, I keep reading, mesmerized.

Unfortunately this one was no where close to being one of my favorite of her novels because there was nothing that I felt was going to stick with me. Most of the characters were well-written and explored. Zoey was flawed, but humanly so, believing herself to be in a relationship that she really wasn't in and not being aware of that fact, maybe because she was new to relationships. She was also very concerned about facades, perhaps because of her father and her mother as well since her mother believes that outward appearance is extremely important.

Doug is a character that I'm on the fence about. I really dislike characters that have uncontrollable tempers even if there is a caring side to them. I certainly don't like them as heroes in novels because temper and violence and controlling are not sexy or likable or interesting, to me at any rate.

I think that making Zoey's father almost one-dimensional, self-interested and self-absorbed did a disservice to Zoey's mother who is a public defender. I felt that Zoey's mother would have recognized such selfishness for what it was and probably never would have become involved with him in the first place.

On the whole, however, this book is far better than many ya novels out there. I felt Echols was taking risks and admire her for doing so even if it all didn't quite come together. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Apparently on an Echols kick. Forget You has been one of my favorites of hers so far. Though Zoey was laughably naive at times, it was a touching read watching these two hurting characters navigate the road to being together. I like the way Echols deals with teenagers having sex in her books, it always feels so real, and I was glad that Zoey wasn't necessarily a mean or popular girl, but just kind of "normal" - whatever that means for teenagers. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Havia muitas coisas que Zoey gostaria de esquecer. Como o fato de seu pai ter engravidado a namorada de vinte e quatro anos. Como o medo de que a cidade inteira descobrisse sobre o colapso nervoso de sua mãe. De como o lindo e temível Doug a insultava na escola. Sentindo que sua vida estava prestes a virar ao avesso, Zoey luta da única maneira que conhece, usando sua famosa atenção aos detalhes para certificar-se de que é a filha, aluna perfeita e namorada do melhor jogador de futebol, Brandon.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 11, 2014 |
Forget you By Jennifer Echols is really hard for me to review. I am torn with this book. I REALLY liked the book, I liked the idea, the writing style, and I liked SOME of the characters, but for the most part some of the characters just down right aggravated me. If Zoey wouldn't have been such a Smart girl but so dumb at the same time, I would have REALLY liked this book.

Link to Full Review ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
This book is for readers of Going Too Far who enjoyed it and told a friend. I appreciate you.
Every strong swimmer has a story about nearly drowning.

WHY CAN’T YOU CHOOSE WHAT YOU FORGET . . . AND WHAT YOU REMEMBER? There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four- year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon. But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all—the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug—of all people— suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life—a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug.

After her parents separate, seventeen-year-old Zoey has a car accident she cannot remember and starts asking her high school swim team friends what happened on that night at the beach on the Florida panhandle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible