Gone With the Nerd by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Gone With the Nerd (edition 2006)

by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Gone With the Nerd
Authors:Vicki Lewis Thompson
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:contemporary, romance, owned, @used

Gone With the Nerd by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Zoe is a fun heroine, a movie star who's been relegated to glamour girl roles and who longs to be taken seriously. She's auditioning for the role of a nerdy scientist, and decides she needs to immerse herself in the world of nerdism. Enter Flynn, her contract lawyer. He wears glasses, he drives an older car (she has to ask him how to lock the doors because the car does not have power locks), he's in a long distance relationship with another lawyer, and his PDA is never out his reach. When Zoe asks him to go to a remote cabin in the woods under the assumed names (from the movie script) of Tony and Vera (in order for her to avoid being recognized by anyone) and teach her everything she needs to know about being a nerd, he is resistant, but finally gives in and agrees, on one condition – he has to tell his girlfriend where he'll be and why.

Part of the nerd training sessions involve reading lines of hokey dialogue from the movie script, with Flynn coaching Zoe on how a nerd would talk or act or respond to situations, such as telling her the character of Vera would not leave the top two buttons of her blouse undone, or she would not sound so sure of herself, etc. I thought the movie dialogue was a little over the top, and that Zoe was wrong in thinking this was a serious movie that would get her serious attention. I kept anticipating that in the end the movie would be a bomb or be canceled before it got off the ground, or something along those lines. But no, it actually was a serious movie.

Of course all kinds of wacky times ensue, some between the two of them, some involving the local townspeople. Flynn quickly gets into the spirit of things and embraces his nerd persona, and Zoe quickly realizes she wants to embrace Flynn. They dance around each other, and the build up to their relationship was played out slowly (though not too slowly since it is a single weekend) and satisfyingly.

I went into this one a little leery compared to the other Nerd books, as the backdrop of the Bigfoot storyline did not appeal to me at all, but I was satisfied with the way that played out.

As usual with a Vicki Lewis Thompson book, there is plenty of humor to go along with the heat. One of my favorite passages:
As long as Flynn kept his tie on, he wouldn't turn into Tony. Besides, most sexual encounters began when a guy loosened his tie. A loose tie led to everything becoming loose. Flynn wanted to stay tight.

Unfortunately when I made a note of that passage I forgot to write down the page number and I'm too lazy to flip through the book and look for it now.

Very enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to continuing with the series.
  octoberwoman | Jul 20, 2014 |
I absolutely adore Vicki Lewis Thompson's NERD Series. As a woman married to a man who would, in all likelihood, be described as a nerd, I know first-hand how hot these guys can be! Ms. Thompson has served up another steamy slice of nerdiness in GONE WITH THE NERD.

Zoe Tarleton is a movie star known far and wide for one thing-- playing the bombshell. With her beauty and first-class body, she's made plenty of films--but she's tired of being known as nothing more than a pretty face. Then the chance of a lifetime falls into her lap--the chance to audition for the role of Vera in an action-adventure movie, a part that could, if played right, earn her a Golden Globe. The only problem is that Vera, a chemist working on a miracle drug, is a flat-chested, bland, nerdy woman. To turn her bombshell into a dud, Zoe needs to learn how to be a nerd, and she knows the perfect person to help guide her--entertainment attorney Flynn Granger. She's spent plenty of time with Flynn over the past few years, working out contracts, and she knows he's just the man for the job.

Flynn has always been attracted to Zoe in an off-hand, it-could-never-happen sort of way. After all, she's Zoe Tarleton and he's, well, a nerdy accountant with glasses, a monochrome wardrobe, and a Honda Civic. So when Zoe suggests spending the weekend in Long Shaft, California, home of the Sasquatch, for him to advise her in nerdiness, Flynn agrees, on the condition that he can tell his almost-fiancee, Kristen, what they're up to. The only problem is, even before they reach Long Shaft, Flynn's realizing that being in close proximity with Zoe--dowdy or not--is a real danger to his libido.

GONE WITH THE NERD is an absolute riot, and Zoe and Flynn are adorable characters. The steam these two generate is enough to erupt a volcano, and the suspense and paranormal aspects thrown into the story add an exciting mix. I love how Zoe realizes that there's more to life than fame and fortune, and how Flynn comes to understand that blending into the background of life isn't necessarily the best way to go.

You won't go wrong with this nerdy tale, and I for one am eagerly anticipating the next one, TALK NERDY TO ME. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
All of the nerd series books have something that they're the best at, and something that they're the worst at.

The good thing about Gone with the Nerd is that it's the first book in the series that nerds up the heroine over the course of the story instead of just un-nerding the hero. The hero doesn't un-nerd so much as he relaxes a bit.

Also, it has a Jimmy Hoffa joke. I'm irrationally fond of Jimmy Hoffa jokes, though I know that's probably not the kind of information that is useful to most people reading this review.

Now for the bad: although nerdiness is talked about in a better light in this book than in Nerd in Shining Armor, it's largely irrelevant to the attraction between the hero and heroine. In fact, nothing besides attraction really seems to be relevant to that attraction. The naming of the town in which it takes place "Long Shaft" is also illustration of the fact that this series is starting to step into a world where sexual references come from places that they usually don't in the world in which we live. (This isn't to say that I don't drive past the exit for Big Bone Lick State Park whenever I'm taking the interstate through Kentucky, but it's a sad fact that in fiction, things have to be more appropriate than they are in real life.) Worst of all, this is one of those stories where we are supposed to forgive the hero for cheating because a) it just means the heroine is his real true love, unlike the woman he was originally with, and b) the breakup which takes place after the cheating is amicable.

This book is slightly less entertaining than others in the series, but not enough that I'd be willing to get rid of it. That means it's still a step above Nerds Gone Wild, which I never bothered buying in the first place. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Dec 6, 2007 |
I would have liked this book better if it had a lot less explicit sex, but tastes differ. I initially thought that these characters were pretty promising. I liked the idea of nerd as unlikely romantic hero; I expected this to be a cute story. And if Bowlder had edited it, it probably would have been. I gave up after 100 pages that could easily have been cut to 50-75.

As a general rule, "They shut the door behind them" is explicit enough for me. This is for a variety of reasons, but the one that I emphasize here is that sex scenes tend to slow down the plot, unless that IS one's idea of a plot. I want to see the growing emotional relationship. I want to see the development of the humorous situations. But any time the narrative gets going, it grinds to a halt for several pages of moaning, groaning, and (never acted upon) guilt.

In this case, our sex-crazed characters are particularly unsympathetic since, as they both know, the man was about to propose to someone else. There is a line on the cover about the brain being the largest sex organ, but one couldn't prove it by these two. It's not as if the actress is seduced by the witty and intelligent conversation of the male character, or that he is struck by her unexpected intelligence.
  juglicerr | Jul 6, 2007 |

A beauty looking for her inner nerd.
Movie star Zoe Tarleton has everything but respect. Now she's determined to get it by snagging the coveted role of a plain-Jane chemist. All she needs is for her decidedly un cool attorney, Flynn Granger, to teach her the award-winning subtleties of being a nerd.

A nerd unleashing his inner beast.
California's "Bigfoot Country" is the ideal secret hideaway for coaching. That means rehearsing the steamy scenes too. Who'd have guessed that Zoe and Flynn's performances would be so convincing? Unfortunately, something is turning their hot love story into a hair-raising thriller.

Their sparks are igniting more than heat.
The killer bees, the poisoned food, and the toppled tree are no accidents. Someone's out to get them. Does Flynn have a love-struck woman in his life? Does Zoe have an insanely jealous fan? Or is Bigfoot real--and more resourceful than anyone imagined? It's just Zoe's luck. She's finally found the man of her dreams and the role of a lifetime--and both of them could be her last.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312998589, Mass Market Paperback)

Hot movie star Zoe Tarleton gets piles of money but no respect because she always plays a beautiful bombshell. When she gets the chance to play a geeky chemist working on a formula to combine weight loss, sexual potency, and anti-aging in one powerful pill, she is determined that this role will open up her career. Zoe may be too hot to understand her character, but she has a plan: her ultimate nerd lawyer Flynn Granger can teach her the ropes. Flynn agrees to help Zoe out, but he's strictly business about it--his girlfriend is a Harvard professor and he plans to propose the next weekend. But when he sees Zoe in an outfit she considers nerdy, he realizes he's taken on an impossible task--she's just too cool to change. As they rehearse scenes in a secluded California cabin, they'll have to embrace their alter egos and fight the growing attraction between them. And they'll have to dodge an increasingly unstable stalker who wants to end their relationship...and Zoe's life. Gone WIth the Nerd is Vicki Lewis Thompson at her fun, sexy best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:57 -0400)

Determined to gain some respect for her craft, movie star Zoe Tarleton hopes to snag the coveted role of a plain-Jane chemist and enlists the assistance of her smart but less-than-cool attorney, Flynn Granger, to teach her the fundamentals of being a nerd.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible