High School Debut, Vol. 13 by Kazune…

High School Debut, Vol. 13 (edition 2010)

by Kazune Kawahara, Kazune Kawahara (Illustrator)

41None277,408 (4.21)None
Member:Kuro-Shinozaki
Title:High School Debut, Vol. 13
Authors:Kazune Kawahara
Other authors:Kazune Kawahara (Illustrator)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

High School Debut, Volume 13 by Kazune Kawahara

I loved this so much! *_* This is the fastest I've read a manga in ages. Usually I haven't been reading more than a few volumes a week because I'm trying to read more books, and I always have a ton of stuff on my to-do list, so I feel bad when I'm just reading, but I couldn't resist! I blew through all thirteen volumes in about three days.

I've been a fan of Kawahara Kazune for a long time. While Sensei! was running, it was one of my very favorite manga, and I'm really glad to see that things haven't changed much in Kawahara Landa. High School Debut feels more modern than Sensei! (not that Sensei! is really old, but it started running in '96), but I'm pleased to see that she's still writing the same sort of feel-good story as always. The innocence of her stories is always part of their charm.

The story starts off with 10th grade tomboy Haruna deciding that after devoting her jr. high years to softball, she's going to devote her high school years to romance. Except she has no idea how to go about it. Then one day she meets You, a really cool guy who has good fashion sense and knows what it takes to be popular, and she has the bright idea of asking him to coach her so she can get a boyfriend. The fun thing about this is how it totally doesn't work. It's not My Fair Lady, and Haruna doesn't get transformed, but she does end up falling for You, natch.

I loved Haruna's character, how oblivious she is and how cheerful. I loved You and Assa and Fumi and Asaoka and Mami (and all the minor characters like Matsuzaka and the Houjou siblings and the 10th grade boy who's obsessed with You (I can't remember his name!) and Haruna's little brother Kentarou). I loved pretty much every plotline, although I found it really hard to believe that You fell for Miyabi's trick so easily. I also thought maybe my wish was going to come true and Mami's "betrayal" was going to be that she liked Haruna, not You. I knew it was 99.9% wishful thinking, but when she said it wasn't about You, I was really hoping! *sigh*

But really, I loved it. Whole-heartedly. Definitely one of my favorite school romances ever. ( )
1 vote kyuuketsukirui | Mar 16, 2009 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

"Yoh faces a difficult choice: should he go to university all the way in Tokyo or stay near Haruna? Haruna wants to support Yoh's decision no matter what, but will her high school romance end with his graduation? --P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible