A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

A Dark Matter (edition 2011)

by Peter Straub

Member:geemont
Title:A Dark Matter
Authors:Peter Straub
Info:

A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

I'd give it maybe 3 1/2... The story wasn't the intriguing part, what hooked me was the tone and descriptive voice Straub used to tell it. I wish I wasn't so puzzled by it all because I was left with a feeling of 'did I miss something?' I enjoyed the flow that had me lost in the strange event the book tells. Good ride but it felt jumbled and incomplete. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Good book, extremely different than most of Straub's books. Hints of Lovecraft, and you have to pay close attention to what your reading or youll lose track of whats going on. ( )
  Benjamin.Timmins | Jan 8, 2014 |

It is a great book, but parts of it just seemed to drag as I reached the 400 page mark. ( )
  Mike79 | Oct 5, 2013 |
A group of high school kids get influenced by a shaman who performs a ceremony which opens a window to another world. That evening a guy in the group dies and one goes insane. A few years later when the husband of one of the victims who also happens to be a writer investigated each comes up with his own version of the occurrences of that day.

For a tale of horror it is quite Luke warm. ( )
  mausergem | May 19, 2012 |
The great revelations of my adult life began with the shouts of a lost soul in my neighborhood breakfast joint.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038551638X, Hardcover)

The incomparable master of horror and suspense returns with a powerful, brilliantly terrifying novel that redefines the genre in original and unexpected ways.

The charismatic and cunning Spenser Mallon is a campus guru in the 1960s, attracting the devotion and demanding sexual favors of his young acolytes. After he invites his most fervent followers to attend a secret ritual in a local meadow, the only thing that remains is a gruesomely dismembered body—and the shattered souls of all who were present.

Years later, one man attempts to understand what happened to his wife and to his friends by writing a book about this horrible night, and it’s through this process that they begin to examine the unspeakable events that have bound them in ways they cannot fathom, but that have haunted every one of them through their lives. As each of the old friends tries to come to grips with the darkness of the past, they find themselves face-to-face with the evil triggered so many years earlier. Unfolding through the individual stories of the fated group’s members, A Dark Matter is an electric, chilling, and unpredictable novel that will satisfy Peter Straub's many ardent fans, and win him legions more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:08 -0400)

Years after a 1960s religious guru's clandestine activities with his most fervent acolytes results in a grisly murder, a man struggles to make sense of what happened to his wife and friends by writing a book for which he asks former followers to relive their experiences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible