Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

A Dark Matter (edition 2010)

by Peter Straub

Old friends try to come to grips with the darkness of the past--a secret ritual that left behind a gruesomely dismembered body--and find themselves face-to-face with the evil they helped create.
Member:dalai-lt
Title:A Dark Matter
Authors:Peter Straub
Info:Doubleday (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***

A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

This is a good book, but it's not the book I would recommend for someone who has never read Straub. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
I was really enjoying this book for a good while. Straub takes his time setting up the characters and situations but I found it difficult to stop reading. I wanted to know what happened that evening in the meadow just as much as Lee Harwell, the book's narrator, did. But about three quarters of the way in (after the third or fourth hallucinatory/dream sequence, something which I hate reading) I finally began to have doubts about whether it was actually going anywhere. In the end, it didn't deliver anything. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Interesting. Oddly confusing (the married couple at the center of the story had the same first name), really interesting last page; otherwise, pretty much what you'd expect from the genre plus some philosophy add-ons. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
Much as I love Peter Straub, I'm afraid the point of this book eludes me: I've read it three times in the past eight years, but A Dark Matter feels a little more weightless each time I revisit it. It's almost as if Straub set out to write a straight dramatic novel but halfheartedly shifted gears when the publisher said, "We'd prefer a supernatural veneer on this thing, if you don't mind." Because that's what you get here: a meandering psychodrama with a pseudo-horrific event apparently tacked on as an afterthought. Said event (a magical invocation that goes terribly wrong, leaving one of the eight participants dead and another insane), ostensibly the foundation of the story, is never properly fleshed out...while the character conflicts, which Straub obviously fussed over, seem chintzy and soap opera-esque. Given the generally high quality of the author's work, A Dark Matter was a major disappointment.

If you're new to Straub, start anywhere but here. This can't be his swan song as a novelist, dammit. ( )
  Jonathan_M | Apr 2, 2018 |
DNF ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |

Is an expanded version of

The great revelations of my adult life began with the shouts of a lost soul in my neighborhood breakfast joint.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,732,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible