The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter…

The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010)

by Dexter Palmer

The Tempest by William Shakespeare (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

Prospero (magician) invented mechanical world that's driviing Harold nuts with noise. Daughter Miranda and Harry fall in love and get put on zeppelin Crysalis. References to The Tempest, interesting voice -- swiches from first to third to second person with same character narrating. Storyteling style with stories within sotries, injects horror, Frankenstein theme, humor , world building descriptive detail. ( )
  jenzbaker | Oct 25, 2015 |
Wow. I love it when a book can take me on that kind of adventure, where a real sense of danger permeates the pages, and I can't tell where things will end up. Palmer is so good that he frequently telegraphs upcoming plot points. A technique which adds another layer of creepiness to the book.

The novel was a delight to read, an alternate, steampunk world in the 20th century, where emerging mechanical men are threatening the magic of the previous generations.

I will certainly be looking forward to other books by this author. ( )
  bpagano | Oct 3, 2015 |
I won this through First Reads.

This is a strange book, though I think I like it for the most part. It has a lot of interesting ideas, which make it worth reading in and of themselves.
It starts at the end, jumps back twenty years, forward ten, then forward to right before the end. I didn't mind that much at all, I thought it was pretty well done, but as soon as you figure everything out, it ends.
It often wanders off on tangents, unrelated to the story. I think that adds a lot to the book, but it gets annoying sometimes. ( )
  DeFor | Nov 28, 2013 |
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book, which I would have been interested enough to seek out anyway.

It suffers slightly by comparison to another steampunk sci-fi favourite of mine, Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/827.The_Diamond_Age_Or_a_Young_Lady_s_Illustr...
but it is well worth the tour of this debut writer's dark imagination.

Even though I felt it was, at first, a gothic horror version of Charlie and the Chocolate factory crossed with Angela Carter's "Nights at the circus" [leaving aside the obvious "The Tempest" and "The Wizard of Oz":] the plot soon grows into it's own unique creature.

Populated with mechanical men, monsters and wizards this is a fantasy world that is strangely like our own in it's noise and loss of faith in "the age of miracles"

Phil-James | Mar 30, 2013 |
Surprisingly pleased with this so far... ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Prospero. -- Dost thou hear?

Miranda. Your tale, sir, would cure deafness.

-- William Shakespeare, The Tempest
Here opened another totally new education, which promised by far to be the most hazardous of all. The knife edge along which he must crawl, like Sir Lancelot in the twelfth century, divided two kingdoms of force which had nothing in common but attraction. They were as different as a magnet is from gravitation, supposing one knew what a magnet was, or gravitation, or love. -- Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams

spiraling down

Into. The. Sea?

spiraling slowly down and crashing in to the open sea?
I’m going to try to tell a story now, and though I’ve made a life out of writing words, this is the first time I have told a story. There are no new stories in the world anymore, and no more storytellers.

With his only companions being his insane lover and her cryogenically frozen father, greeting card writer Harold Winslow must come to terms with the madness of a genius inventor and his quest to create a perpetual motion machine.

Dexter Palmer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Dexter Palmer chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

101 wanted1 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible