The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the…

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (original 2009; edition 2012)

by Jonas Jonasson

Title:The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Authors:Jonas Jonasson
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:e-book, mystery, Jonasson

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, OneOfDem, rat_in_a_cage, oook, wilqs72, Antimonify, EmmaNoelle, Kaethe, amaraki
    A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Iudita)
    Gold by Dan Rhodes (Anonymous user)
    Candide by Voltaire (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (JenMDB)
    Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (2810michael)
    Callisto by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: More improbable events on an epic scale
    Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller (kristenl)
    kristenl: Both stories are centered around old men, and both contain historical flashbacks.
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Alliebadger)
    Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi (hilge)
    hilge: Similar Scandinavian characters are found in both books and both will make you laugh.
    The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Lighthearted Nordic stories with no particular destination or hurry to get there.
    Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Exit Lines by Joan Barfoot (Booktrovert)
    Booktrovert: Exit Lines, set in a nursing home, is a thoughtful, honest book about human inter-connectivity and longevity.
    All Quiet on the Orient Express by Magnus Mills (Anonymous user)
    Up and Down by Terry Fallis (JenMDB)
    This is Life by Dan Rhodes (Anonymous user)
    Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant (JenMDB)
    Samlede skrøner II by Jørn Riel (2810michael)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (tsorig, tsorig)
    Samlede skrøner by Jørn Riel (2810michael)

English (209)  Spanish (20)  Dutch (17)  French (13)  German (12)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (291)
Charming and fun. The storytelling reminded me a bit of Hitchhiker's Guide, where it provides a very casual look at very important things and gives you the full story that the characters never know. Quite enjoyable! ( )
  Alliebadger | Oct 16, 2016 |
Chase caper meets Forrest Gump.

Mildly amusing in parts. There was nothing wrong with it, but nothing that really grabbed me either. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Oct 10, 2016 |
“Things are what they are, and whatever will be, will be.”

A quote that sums up my opinion of this book almost as neatly as the title sums up the plot. *Resists the temptation to launch into a rendition of Que Sera, Sera.* Shh, Doris Day, just shh.

Dammit, Doris!

Don't get me wrong, I get the criticism of this book. It is quite coincidental, there's a lot of historical name-dropping, and the scope of the political influence of one politically ambiguous man is... well, I believe quirky is the word used in most descriptions so we'll stick with that. Around the midpoint I was pretty focused on the penchant of Sweden's fictional gangs to sew their names on their jackets, or pass the task on to a nimble-fingered girlfriend. I now have the need to experience a West Side Story-esque battle between the past Violins and the current Never Agains. Snap Snap Snap. I feel like there's a distinct possibility that in Bosse's next batch of bibles we will find that the parties of the aforementioned gangs that are unfortunately deceased will be able to grace us with their presence in a suitable way for this to take place.

Criticism and musical needs aside, I liked this book. I figured it would be more like a renewed Bucket List and while I'd like to think that the character bearing the bucket moniker was a nod to this practice and Morgan/Nicholson movie I was pretty happy it wasn't. Mainly because I always feel guilty that I don't have the desire to jump out of a plane. Or, for that matter, out of or off of most objects unless absolutely necessary. All I can imagine coming of such an attempt is that my body would play host to any number of steel rods and then, through some unforeseeable circumstance, I would meet up with a particularly pesky magnet. Whoompf!

I agree with those that said they felt a Forrest Gump vibe to the story. I was also reminded of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-five actually. More in its appreciation as a SciFi novel than its alternate perception as a view into PTSD. There's a similar flow to things, in my opinion. As well as a similarly wise perspective offered up by author and plot alike for the taking.

"So it goes."/"What will be will be."

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Allan has had enough of the nursing home on this 100th birthday, and escapes. And steals. And steals from the wrong person. He relates his life even as he is continuing to live, and his adventures are very Forrest Gump-like. Lots of improbable (but who cares that they are improbable?) adventures with major historical figures of his lifetime, changes in history due to his hapless adventures, lots of heart. Allan is apolitical who takes everything in stride, especially if there is a glass or two of vodka handy, but who manages to get involved in political chaos.

When delving into historical events, I was greatly entertained and enjoyed this silly, heartfelt adventure.

I listened to an unabridged Audible edition, and the narrator was very good. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Sep 10, 2016 |
Whimsical, humorous book. It is enjoyable to read about an elderly person who is active and independent, who isn't done with living and is looking for new beginnings. Life isn't limited by years and there is no need to depict elders as being weak or helpless, but people each with their own interesting histories if we seek to hear them. Also, remarkable lack of greed and selfishness among the main characters. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Fast-moving and relentlessly sunny, the novel quickly develops into a romp that takes in all the major events of the 20th century. . . the plot is pleasingly nimble and the book's endearing charm offers a happy alternative to the more familiar Nordic noir.
added by mysterymax | editThe Guardian, Jane Housham (Jul 24, 2012)
Stalin synger svenske drikkeviser, og Truman blir dritings .Forrest Gump som hundreåring i ny bok.
ANMELDELSE: Han redder general Franco, riktignok etter først å ha plassert en bombe for å drepe ham. Han avverger et attentat mot Churchill, og gir Oppenheimer den endelige løsningen på formelen for atombomben.

Det rene soap altså. Samtidig er det — på sin høyst skakke og fantasifulle måte — en fantastisk reise gjennom forrige århundre.

Jonas Jonassen er intelligent, vittig og systemkritisk, der han harver over alt fra fjollete politifolk, rasehygienikere og despoters ideologiske paranoia. I en bok som gir håp om at alle har en fremtid, også hundreåringer.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jan 18, 2011)
Nästan frustande av alla förvecklingar som ryms i debuten släpper jag snart taget en bit in i läsningen. Jag inser att precis vad som helst kan hända och kommer att göra det. Författaren tycks bubbla av infallsrikedom strösslad med lite sensmoral.

Jonas Jonassonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Černík, ZbyněkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, RodTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bree, Corry vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podestà Heir, MargheritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Things are what they are, and whatever will be will be."
Ingen kunde trollbinda sin publik bättre än morfar där han satt på ljugarbänken, lätt framåtlutad över sin käpp och med munnen full av snus.
– Nej men... är det sant, morfar? sa vi häpna barnbarn.
– Di söm bara säjer dä söm ä sanning, ä inte vär' å höra på, svarade morfar.
Den här boken är till honom.
An extra thank you to Micke, Liza, Rixon, Maud and Uncle Hans.
- Jonas
Monday, 2nd May 2005

You might think he could have made up his mind earlier, and been man enough to tell the others of his decision. But Allan Karlsson had never been given to pondering things too long.
Allan Karlsson to Prosecutor Ranelid: "You can never have too much clarity."

Confined to a nursing home and about to turn 100, Allan Karlsson, who has a larger-than-life back story as an explosives expert, climbs out of the window in his slippers and embarks on an unforgettable adventure involving thugs, a murderous elephant and a very friendly hot dog stand operator.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible