xkcd: volume 0 by Randall Munroe

xkcd: volume 0 (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Randall Munroe

Info:Breadpig (2010), Paperback, 120 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read in 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Comics

xkcd: Volume 0 by Randall Munroe (2009)

English (17)  Swedish (1)  All languages (18)
This book was on the staff recommends table at the library, and it made me smile, so I checked it out. I know, as I am admonished in the foreword by the author, that I can get all this on the internet for free (well, so's the library, but let's leave that aside for a moment), but I am one of those individuals who still finds words on paper much more enjoyable than words on a screen. I've never followed xkcd regularly, but I usually enjoy them when someone points me to one in particular. I've made a few attempts to "catch up," but never to the point where I've bookmarked my progress, and then I can't remember where I left off...

Which is a long way of saying that I really enjoyed reading this in book, rather than digital form.

If you don't know if xkcd is for you, you can find it on the internet. (But if you haven't found it by now, it's probably not.) Now that I've read it at length, I can say that I do generally appreciate it, at times find it hilarious, and a disturbing amount of the time find it whooshing right over my head. It seems that I am not quite geeky or nerdy enough to enjoy all of xkcd. (But definitely dorky enough.) It is, I suppose, somehow reassuring to be reminded that there are subcultures out there far geekier and nerdier than me. But still generally respectful of women. (As much as I disdain Twilight, I absolutely love xkcd's imagining of Stephenie Meyer outsmarting Anonymous.) ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Meh. When you've read then all already online, it's not the same. ( )
  owlbeyourfriend | Sep 2, 2014 |
I have long been a fan of the XKCD web comic. I actually bought this book for my husband (who is also a big fan) right when it came out. I just finally sat down the other day and read it. It’s a collection of Munroe’s favorite XKCD comics. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

In the forward Munroe says he picked his favorite comics to put together in this first book. All proceeds from the book go to charity so that is pretty cool. You can read most of these comics on the web for free. However, there are additional comments throughout written in red that are pretty darn funny. There are also encrypted messages and the novelty of owning a book that is page numbered in Base 3.

Many of the jokes have some basis in science/math/physics. I do love math and enjoyed some of those jokes. Some of the physics jokes are a bit esoteric and me and my husband would both stare at them and go “huh”. Others frames deal with general relationship things or popular culture.

While it does help to have some background in math/science to enjoy a lot of these jokes...there are still a lot of pages and jokes that are just generally funny. One of my favorites was the graph of intelligence versus distance to a cute kitty. Another favorite was the one where he blackmails a book lover by threatening the book of a spine (I am obviously a huge book geek, so this had me laughing pretty hard).

This is definitely an adults only book, there is quite a bit of adult subject matter throughout...and yes you do see stick people having sex many times throughout the book. While that’s not really all that graphic (I mean they are stick people), there are definitely some adult themes to the material.

I thought the beginning of this book was less funny than the later entries. Not sure why, but I laughed a lot more at the comics at the end of this collection than the beginning.

Overall I really enjoyed this collection. Munroe’s collection of “What If” is due out later this year and I will definitely be picking that up as well. These are more in depth but still very funny episodes where Munroe applies science to crazy “What If” questions. I would definitely recommend picking up XKCD, Volume 0 if you are fan of the web comic. If you are at all a fan of science, math, and humor you should at least check out the web comic….it’s pretty hilarious. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 25, 2014 |
Good

http://xkcd.com/ is an online institution amongst the cognoscenti and now there is a book so that lubbers can catch up too. It also has a bunch of commentary from the author on his cartoons. If you’re not an XKCD fan then this book is not for you. If you don’t know XKCD and/or are a fan then this book is for you.

Overall – Intelligent and amusing ( )
  psutto | Sep 5, 2013 |
Are you a huge fan of the hugely funny, highly intelligent and sometime breathtaking web comic XKCD? Do you want support the website? or perhaps just have a hard copy of some of cartoons (with extra commentary for the books, oh yes) Then this is the book for you. Otherwise well I had to question your taste. XKCD is the best thing on the web; pop culture, science and of course life are all skewered...

Sadly the mouse over captions are missing from these tasters so just go and spend an hour clicking random on
http://xkcd.com. ( )
  clfisha | Aug 29, 2013 |
To all the crazy people who showed up in a little park in Cambridge that September afternoon.

Presents personal selections and fan favorites from the online comic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible