A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings Series #1)…

A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings Series #1) (edition 2003)

by Kristen Heitzmann

Member:judyg54
Title:A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings Series #1)
Authors:Kristen Heitzmann
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2003), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:OWN

A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann

A well-executed Christian romance novel. I was very taken with the novel's main characters - Noelle and brothers Rick and Morgan Spencer. Each was compelling and believable in their own ways. Not much of the novel was a surprise, but getting there was an enjoyable journey. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 3, 2014 |
Christian fiction, contemporary, romantic suspense, Colorado, New York ( )
  brandyhei | Dec 16, 2013 |
This story dealt with people you learned to love, even though they made mistakes, had problems and fought the truth. There is a tender romance story in this book, but it is to me, much more than a romantic fiction story , but a story of people searching for the truth, some searching in the wrong places and some searching in the right places, but who still fail to make the right desicions. But the encouraging part is that even when we fail or turn our backs on God, He is still faithful and will never turn His back on His own. I truly enjoyed the message behind this story, and how the author dealt with the age old question of why does God allow bad things to happen to good people.

Noelle St. Claire finds herself fleeing a danger that she can't quite remember all the details. She finds herself arriving at the Rocky Mountain horse ranch owned by Rick Spencer and his brother Morgan. Noelle is beautiful, very vulnerable and has secrets she just can't seem to trust anyone with. The two brothers, who are opposites in many ways, try to bring her out of her shell and help her, but Noelle has alot of fears and can't quite figure out if they are real or imagined. Both brothers have different ways of trying to help Noelle, but only one will truly win her heart. In the process though, will he also lose his "first love".

This was not one of those books that I couldn't put down until I read what would happen next. It wasn't a fast paced story, but by the end I realized how well this story was put together and how much I enjoyed growing along with these characters and when they felt their failures, I felt for them in a very real way. I look forward to reading more about one of the Spencer brothers in "The Still of Night". ( )
  judyg54 | Nov 20, 2012 |
A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann is a re-release of the book, originally published in 2003. The cover is new but the story is every bit as good as it was the first time I read it.

Noelle St. Clair is on the run. She has lost her memory and has no idea who or what she is fleeing from but she knows that there is danger and she must escape. In her flight, she leaves behind a loving but confused father and a frightened fiance. Her flight leads her from the pampered confines of a luxurious home, away from a doting father, and from an errant fiance to the small secluded horse ranch in the Rocky Mountains. It is here that she finds safety, respite, and refuge.
In her attempts to hide from a danger that she cannot identify, Noelle finds herself forming new relationships and friends of a totally different ilk than any she had ever known. Bit by bit, her memories return until the day that she is forced to face head-on the very source of her fears.

Kristen Heitzmann keeps the reader on pins and needles as she slowly reveals and unravels the tangled threads of Noelle's past. Just when you think you have it all figured out, another twist is revealed that makes you question all that you thought you knew and understood. Noelle slowly learns to trust, not only in her new-found friends, but she also learns to trust in a God who had been an utter stranger until Rick Spencer introduced Him to her through the Word.

I first read this book in April of 2004 and enjoyed it just as much when I read it again in December of 2010. Noelle's story is a story that tells of hope in the time of despair, peace in the time of turmoil, and safety in a time of peril. It was a pleasure to watch as Noelle grew from being afraid to trust anyone to learning to trust in both God and others. It was exciting to see how Noelle discovered the truths that are found in Psalms 91:2: "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust," and also in Psalms 46:1: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." (KJV)

A copy of this book was provided to me by Bethany House Publishers for review purposes. I received no compensation for this review nor was I under any obligation to provide a favorable review. All comments are my own true and unsolicited observations. ( )
  HisChild | Feb 13, 2011 |
We first meet Noelle at a bus terminal, fleeing from ... something ... she can't quite remember. The images are fragmented and broken, but it appears that her former fiancee Michael, her father's protege', has something to do with it.

Noelle eventually finds her way to a Colorado mountain town that appeals to her. She inquires at a local shop, and is told of two places that may have space to rent to her. The first is a rundown house. The second entails a hike up the mountain to a horse ranch, where she meets two brothers, Rick (the owner) and Morgan. Rick runs a Christian ranch, and his guests arrive by word-of-mouth. Unfortunately, the cottages are booked up for the season, but Morgan talks his brother into letting Noelle rent a room at the main house, which goes against Rick's policy of letting rooms to single female guests; however, for some reason, Rick feels that Noelle is in need of a safe place.

As Morgan attempts to woo Noelle, she welcomes his friendship, but rejects his advances. Afraid to use her credit cards or pull money from the bank for fear of being traced, Noelle finds a way to make her own way by selling her artwork at a local shop.

Michael Fallon, her ex-fiancee', is enraged that Noelle would leave. In his mind, he loves her, and what happened between them was an isolated incident. He sets one of his former clients to work tracking her.

William St. Claire, Noelle's father, is worried, but Noelle HAD left a message for him letting him know she was all right. He can't figure out why she was calling from a small town in Ohio, but she is twenty-three, and old enough to make up her own mind. He keeps this information to himself, as he puzzles over how much Michael had to do with her decision to leave. He has kept Noelle safe and sheltered since a frightening incident when she was five years old, but maybe it's time for her to spread her wings.

For me, this story was a bit saccharine, but that's just my own reading taste. Even understanding that Noelle had something bad happen to her didn't help me feel a lot of sympathy for a fragile personality that could so easily break apart because of one incident. Later on, with the understanding that the incident when she was five made her fragile to begin with, I understood a bit more, but I think I'm much more attracted to strong female characters.

There is some romance and suspense, and we finally gain an understanding of why Noelle is so set against God and religion in general.

QUOTES

Who was the real Noelle? What did Morgan hope to see? The person she had been? The helpless, pleasing, dutiful person others rules? She had left her behind as a snake sheds its skin, leaves it lying useless in the sand.

Now the last of her resistance melted and she surrendered to the incredible love. The sadness was still deep inside her and the knowledge that she might never recover what she'd lost as a five-year-old child. But she no longer faced it alone. ( )
  jewelknits | Dec 16, 2010 |
All glorious is the king's daughter as she enters . . . borne in with gladness and joy. Psalm 45:13,16
To Jessie, who saw this book from its inception through its many faces to now, who assists me with wisdom and joy in building the Kingdom.

Running from terrors both recent and remembered, Noelle flees her New York mansion for the Rocky Mountains, seeking a place to hide from the men who betrayed her. Her sanctuary is a horse ranch, where she discovers solace in the breathtaking scenery she paints. But as the attentions of two brothers slowly soften the wall she hides behind, the past she yearns to escape becomes a menacing threat she cannot deny. Will Noelle find courage to give her broken heart to the One whose perfect love casts out all fear? Kristen Heitzmann skillfully creates a story resonating with emotion and a poignant spiritual journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:59 -0400)

Running from terrors both recent and remembered, Noelle flees her New York mansion for the Rocky Mountains, seeking a hiding place from the men who betrayed her. Her sanctuary is a horse ranch, where she discovers solace in the breathtaking scenery she paints. As the attentions of two brothers slowly soften the wall she hides behind, the past she yearns to escape becomes a menacing threat she cannot deny.… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible