Warriors by George R. R. Martin

Warriors

by George R. R. Martin (Editor), Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: David Ball (Contributor), Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Lawrence Block (Contributor), Gardner Dozois (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor)16 more, Joe Haldeman (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor), Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Introduction), George R. R. Martin (Contributor), David Morrell (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), James Rollins (Contributor), Steven Saylor (Contributor), Robert Silverberg (Contributor), S. M. Stirling (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Howard Waldrop (Contributor), David Weber (Contributor), Tad Williams (Contributor)

Series: Dunk & Egg (3 - Original prose format), Lord John ("Custom of the Army", 2.2), A Song of Ice and Fire (prequel 3 - The Mystery Knight)

Overall Summary and Review: I bought this collection for two reasons: 1) New Lord John and Dunk & Egg stories, and 2) I absolutely loved Martin & Dozois's previous anthology, Songs of Love & Death. (Actually, looking at the publication dates, Warriors came out first, but I didn't know about it until after I'd read and loved Songs of Love & Death.) So I was hoping Warriors would be just as good of an anthology… it certainly had an equally impressive line-up of authors. And while I didn't wind up loving this one quite as much as SoL&D, I think that was more down to the subject matter rather than anything having to do with the quality of the stories or the anthology itself. (I clearly prefer star-crossed lovers to warriors, which I probably could have told you before I started.) The theme carries through the anthology nicely, with the different authors each taking a different perspective on what it means to be a warrior - some were war stories, some were after-the-war-is-over stories, some protagonists were soldiers, some were fighting very personal wars of their own, some were men, some were women, some were not even human. There's also a nice blend of genres here - contemporary and historical fiction of different eras bump up against fantasy and science fiction, and some stories contain a mix of multiple genres. Overall, it's a really solid collection - some stories I liked more than others, of course, but like SoL&D, I don't think there was a single weak story in the bunch. 4 out of 5 stars.

Individual Stories:
"The King of Norway" by Cecelia Holland is a Viking story, about a man who makes an ill-timed and ill-judged boast, and must then follow through. This story put an emphasis on the fighting, which was well-written, but it could have used some development of the rest of the story. I never understood the protagonist's antagonism towards his former king, for example.

"Forever Bound" by Joe Haldeman involves a man who is recruited to be part of a specialist army unit - one where ten people link together, sharing each other's minds to control fighting robots from afar. I think this is technically part of the Forever War series, but I liked this story better than I did the book, since it doesn't really focus on the fighting hardly at all, but much more on the interpersonal relations between the soldiers who were mind-linked.

In "The Triumph" by Robin Hobb, a Roman general who has been caged, and left to die by the Carthagenians, refuses to give his captors what they want… after all, he'd survived in the face of much worse enemies. I liked this story - Hobb's a good writer and I really should read some of her longer fiction - but it took too long to get to the dragon.

"Clean Slate" by Lawrence Block is the story of a damaged woman, and just how far she's willing to go to set her past to rights. It's debatable how well this story and this protagonist fits the definition of "Warriors", but taken on its own merits, it's really effective. Really dark and sharp-edged and bitter, but effective.

"And Ministers of Grace" by Tad Williams involves a religious warrior, bioengineered to be an avenging angel, sent to infiltrate the secular world of his enemies and assassinate their leader. I thought this story had a really good blend between character development and worldbuilding and action sequences, although the ending felt a little too pat for my tastes.

"Soldierin'" by Joe R. Lansdale is historical, rather than SF/F, and features buffalo soldiers - freed slaves who joined the US Army fighting the Native Americans - in a scouting expedition gone disastrously wrong. I enjoyed this story mostly for its perspective - I'd known of the existence of the buffalo soldiers, but not much about them - and also for its touches of humor, which was needed in between some pretty bleak stories.

"Dirae" by Peter S. Beagle is a fractured piece involving a warrior who emerges from darkness in order to right wrongs and protect the helpless, only to fade back into forgetfulness once her task is through. I'd read it before, in Sleight of Hand, but it was even more rewarding the second time through, once I had an idea of how the pieces fit together.

"The Custom of the Army" by Diana Gabaldon is a Lord John Grey story, in which Lord John is sent to Canada to serve as a character witness but winds up involved in the siege of Quebec. I like Gabaldon's writing, obviously, and I like Lord John as a character, but this story didn't quite come together for me - too many pieces, and the character pieces didn't blend smoothly into the action pieces the way I would have wanted.

"Seven Years from Home" by Naomi Novik involves a diplomat/spy who is sent to live among the people who are forming one half of a nascent civil war, between a people who have genetically engineered themselves to live in peace with their surroundings, and a more technological people who covet their resources. This was a cool world, and a cool story, although it occasionally veered smidge too close to preachiness, even though I agreed with the message.

"The Eagle and the Rabbit" by Steven Saylor is another Carthage/Rome story, except in this case it's the Romans who are taking the Carthagenians as slaves, and the torments they inflict upon them - not only physical, but mental as well. This story was well told, and I liked the writing style, but it was fairly predictable, and it didn't really break any new ground in the "how far can a captor push a captive, and by what means" field.

In "The Pit" by James Rollins, the warrior in question is not human, but canine, a pit bull who was stolen as a puppy and brought up in the dog fighting ring. This was a hard one to read, although just as effective and poignant as many of the others, which makes me wonder: why am I okay reading about brutal battles between humans, but not dogs?

"Out of the Dark" by David Weber is one of the longer stories in the collection, about an invading alien fleet that attempts to conquer Earth, and is surprised by the resistance it meets. I really liked the idea for this story, and the way Weber told it in switching back-and-forth viewpoints from the humans' vs. the aliens' perspective. (And although the description of the aliens is essentially feline, I couldn't stop picturing them as the rhino-headed Judoon from Doctor Who, which made me giggle.) But there was a lot of military-speak, lots of acronyms and descriptions of tanks and guns, that turned me off a little. And the ending, while effectively surprising, felt too much like a Deus ex Machina cop-out to be entirely satisfying.

"The Girls from Avenger" by Carrie Vaughn is a story about female WASP pilots during World War II, and the investigations undertaken by one into the hushed-up death of another. I really enjoyed this one, although the resolution was maybe a little predictable. I like Vaughn's writing in general, although I wonder how much was the writing, and how much was the fact that Code Name Verity has predisposed me to like anything involving female WW II pilots?

"Ancient Ways" by S. M. Stirling involves a young Russian man who comes across a foreign warrior being chased by Tartars. They become unlikely allies, and then set off on an even more unlikely quest. A fun story of warriors on horseback, armed with bows and arrows and swords, and a rescue attempt of an unusual princess. I'm glad I'd read Stirling's Dies the Fire previously - the story contains enough clues to piece together what the Change was without having read the novels, and the main plot doesn't depend on that element of the worldbuilding at all, but it was nice to have the background.

"Ninieslando" by Howard Waldrop takes place during World War I, where a soldier trapped in No Man's Land is given the chance to envision a better world rising from the ashes of the war. This story was well told, but its central conceit (a group of Esperanto-speaking idealists living underground beneath the Maginot Line) struck me as too improbable for me to take the rest of the story entirely seriously.

"Recidivist" by Gardner Dozois is a story of a last band of humans fighting back against the AI machines that have taken over and begun to play, god-like, with reality. This story had a lot of cool pieces (like "what would happen if continental drift were sped up to a matter of days instead of eons?", and the capricious nature of the gods when dealing with mortals), and I liked the ending, but it didn't all quite gel together for me.

"My Name is Legion" by David Morrell is the story of the French Foreign Legion during World War II, when some Legionnaires were fighting alongside the British, and others were helping the German-occupied French government. I didn't know much about the French Foreign Legion, so that part was interesting, but I felt like some of the time devoted to the history of the group could have been used to beef up the characters and the story itself.

"Defenders of the Frontier" by Robert Silverberg involves a group of soldiers in a far-flung fort, reduced in number and with no encounters with the enemy and no communication from their own side, who must decide whether to stay or go. I thought this one was interesting; I particularly liked the ambiguity of the setting - it could be another planet, or a fantasy world, or some far-future Earth, and the protagonist could be human or alien - and the fact that it didn't really matter to the story he wanted to tell.

"The Scroll" by David Ball involves an engineer who is taken prisoner by a mad emperor of Morocco, and is subject to his murderous whims. Like "The Eagle and the Rabbit", this is more of a captor/captive story, a story of how far you can push a man before he breaks, than a warrior story proper, although the idea held by the protagonist that the builder of weapons is not responsible for the deaths they cause does seat it neatly with the theme of the collection.

"The Mystery Knight" by George R. R. Martin is a Dunk and Egg story, set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire roughly ninety years before A Game of Thrones. Dunk, a hedge knight, and Egg, his squire (and also Aegon Targaryen, nephew to the king), find themselves at a wedding, where they hope nothing more than to partake of the feasting before they continue their journey northwards towards the wall. But at the jousting to celebrate the wedding, it becomes clear that there is more to this tourney that might be apparent on the surface, and Dunk and Egg have found themselves squarely in the middle of it once again. I always like the Dunk and Egg stories, and this one was no exception, although they're always a little heavily focused on heraldry and family ties and who fought for whom during the First Blackfyre Rebellion… and even though I'm a big fan of the series, they always send me running to the ASoIaF wiki. But Dunk and Egg are such great characters, and the worldbuilding is quite compelling despite all the time spent on heraldry, that I bought this book primarily for this story, and it was absolutely worth it. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 4, 2014 |
This is one of the better short story collections I've read lately. It does not measure up to Legends or Legends 2, despite the long list of accomplished contributors. Unfortunately, the editors took liberties with the subject of 'Warriors', and judging from the introduction, they did so deliberately. However, that leaves a collection that is only loosely associated with the title and purpose of the anthology, so what exactly is the purpose? I understand the idea that this was intended to be cross-genre and it accomplished that, but I would have preferred if it was more on topic. I am not usually a big fan of random collections of short stories, though I will admit this is for the most part, a good one.

Some highlights and lowlights:
"The King of Norway" by Cecilia Holland - a realistic historical fiction story about Viking warriors. A great way to kick off the anthology.
"Forever Bound" by Joe Haldeman - its hard to go wrong with a Haldeman story, and this isn't an exception.
"Clean Slate" by Lawrence Block - this one I didn't think belonged at all. A female serial killer story?
"Dirae" by Peter S. Beagle - not really a warrior story, more of a comic book hero type story with a twist, but excellent.
"The Eagle and the Rabbit" by Steven Saylor - not really a warrior story, and the 2nd story about Carthage in the collection (??), but good.
"The Pit" by James Rollins - pit fighting dogs. Completely unnecessary.
'Out of the Dark" by David Weber - humans kick alien butt, with a twist. Great stuff.

The last 5 stories are all excellent. "The Mystery Knight" by Martin is maybe the best. I think fans of historical fiction, sci-fi and fantasy will find this collection good to excellent. ( )
  Karlstar | Nov 12, 2013 |
And lastly, read again for George R. R. Martin's "Tales of Egg and Dunk."

God. He truly makes me fall in love with characters. Truly how much I like Dunk may never change, but I can see how much of this story is the shaping of both Dunk and Egg. How much it will shape the history and the kingdom of the future from this point (and the past from the time of The Song of Fire & Ice).

I really felt this one though. The way the Eye is. How The Great War of the Two Dragon's literally effects everything, in a way Dunk gets but Egg doesn't yet. The way a great king can be made of a eleven-year-old boy with too much pride, who will be the only person in his family to truly know his people and his land.

I really do hope the rumor that there will be eight or nine stories of these to is true.

I will look forward to this. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
It's rare for me to finish an anthology and be unable to decide which is my favorite, unable to point out the handful of weak stories. This collection was so strong that I don't think any of the twenty stories fell into the latter category, and I would be hard pressed to choose one for the former.

I enjoyed how many different types of warriors the collection presented, likely and unlikely, stereotypical and anything-but. My biggest criticism is that many of the stories left me wanting more, longing for the next part of the story of that extra bit of depth. But like a meal with twenty small courses, I soon found my attention distracted by the next morsel. Saving the novella-length GRRM story for the end was a wise move, because that tale satisfied my appetite and left me content. ( )
  shabacus | Jun 10, 2013 |
The book as a whole is a good, solid 4.5 star anthology. As with most collections, it has its hits and misses. Happily, more of the latter.

"Stories From the Spinner Rack" - introduction by GRRM. A nice look into the early reading habits of GRRM and his early influences. Reminds me of Dreamsongs I. I need to go back and read Dreamsongs II. 4 stars for the intro.

"The King of Norway" by Cecilia Holland. Nice Viking story that was pretty interesting. The characters seemed pretty good too, or would have with more development. Her style is dry though. If she'd liven that up, I'd be more interested in what happens. 2.75 stars.

"Forever Bound" by Joe Haldeman. Set in the Forever War universe, which I haven't read. But I loved this story, so I'm sure I'll rectify that eventually. His writing is excellent and his universe seems very interesting. 4.5 stars.

"The Triumph" by Robin Hobb. Another top notch story, by the dependable Hobb. It's different for her, as it's a historical piece about Romans in Carthage, but her writing is very good and the story has some cool twists. 4 stars.

"Clean Slate" by Lawrence Block. Another winner. This is the second Block story I’ve read from anthologies this year, and as with the first one, I was very impressed. I love his twisted protagonist villains. An intriguing modern thriller, I’m not sure it really fits the theme of the anthology except in the literal sense. The main character thinks of herself as a “warrior” though that’s more of a psychological tag than a real one. Still, a very good story and one of the better ones so far. 4.75 stars.

“And Ministers of Grace” by Tad Williams. Tad always delivers interesting short stories, and this is no exception. The main character here is a holy assassin in a future universe where there is a war between those of the Book and those that are not. A nice take on the future of religion and colonization. 3.5 stars.

“Soldierin’” by Joe R. Lansdale. This is an engaging and often humorous look at the military service of a former slave recruited to join the Union Army in a post-Civil War area of West Texas. He is placed in an all-black regiment and this tells what happens when they come across some pissed off Indians. 3.75 stars.

“Dirae” by Peter S. Beagle. Weird is how I describe this. It does start to make sense as it gets going but it takes awhile. A very cool concept that’s odd in execution and probably would have worked better in a novel. 3 stars.

“The Custom of the Army” by Diana Gabaldon. Novella length story that’s one of the better ones so far. This is an adventure of Lord John Grey, from her Outlander universe. The story is very engaging as we see Lord John’s experiences first in London, and then in Canada as he’s assigned up there. He’s called to look into the situation of an old friend’s impending court-martial. I really enjoyed this one, but felt a bit let down by the end as everything seemed to wrap up too quickly and conveniently. This is another one that would have worked better as a longer novel. Still, 4.25 stars.

“Seven Years From Home” by Naomi Novik. I’ve never tried this author before, though I’ve heard about her stuff for a few years now. Well, this will probably keep me from trying her novels. This story pretty much sucked. Here we have a future colonization going on with a feud between two factions on a world that the “Confederacy” is looking to bring into its fold. The narrator character gets drawn into this conflict and this story serves as her account/confession of what transpired. The concept was intriguing but the execution was not. The narration was dry and unspirited. I kept fighting sleep and forced myself to finish this one. It was a struggle from the first page to the end. I’ll give it 1.5 stars though. It really should have 1 star, but I’ll be generous and give it another half because the concept was cool enough to consider that. 1.5 stars.

“The Eagle and the Rabbit” by Steven Saylor. Once again we visit ancient Carthage, though many years later than Hobb’s story. This time, we see a slice of history through the eyes of a Carthaginian as he deals with the conquering Romans. It’s a great mirror image of Hobb’s story, showing that in war there is often brutality regardless to what side you’re on. Some of the plot turns were predictable, but no less entertaining for that. It had very nice progression and a satisfying ending, and what more can you hope for from a short story? 4.5 stars.

“The Pit” by James Rollins. Wow. Here we get a gladiator story, but not one we’d expect to find in an anthology like this, or anywhere for that matter. There are twists and turns in this story as well, and they’re not nearly as predictable. This is the best story in the bunch, so far. I could give more details, but that would spoil the reader’s delight as they read a few lines and discover what it’s really about. 5 stars.

“Out of the Dark” by David Weber. Here we have a near-future alien invasion, with some really unexpected twists. I like the concept and I love the scope that Weber approaches this from. I’ve seen that there is now a novel-length expansion of this story. I think that would work nicely, as this has huge potential for more in-depth global coverage. I’m undecided on reading it soon though, as the core of the story was pretty much played out in this novella. Still, one for the TBR. 4.5 stars.

“The Girls From Avenger” by Carrie Vaughn. Carrie tells a story about the WASP pilots during World War II. WASP stands for Women Airforce Service Pilots. These women filled the flying jobs required by the army in the US while the men were overseas in combat operations. They weren’t highly regarded at all, and that’s a shame. Carrie shines some light on what they might have gone through in this story, and I’m glad she did. I always love Carrie’s smooth and reader-friendly writing style and this is no exception. 4.25 stars.

“Ancient Ways” by S.M. Stirling. This was my first experience in reading of Stirling’s Emberverse, though I’ve been eying it for awhile now. This story pushes Dies the Fire, the first novel of the Change, up on my TBR. This was an intriguing look at a future post-apocalyptic Earth, where technology has been stripped away and society is back to the basics. Stirling’s take on that theme seems very original in execution and world building, if this story is any indication. 4.25 stars.

“Ninieslando” by Howard Waldrop. Here’s a weird little story set during World War I, right at the front lines between the British and German forces. There is the ominous No-Man’s Land that separates the trenches where the two armies are entrenched, a kill-zone full of barbed wire and landmines. Of course, there’s something quite unexpected and strange down in there as well. Enjoyable, but too short to fully develop and a little on the implausible side. 2.5 stars.

“Recidivist” by Gardner Dozois. This is the first solo work I’ve read by Dozois. Wow! This one was too short. By that I mean, I wanted more. The story itself was a good length for what it had to tell, but this future post-weird-shit-happens world is amazing. I would love to read a novel about this, and Dozois’s prose is very smooth. Definitely wanting a novel expansion to this one. 4.75 stars.

“I Am Legion” by David Morrell. Here is a story of the French Foreign Legion during the early days of World War II. The premise is good, though the plot is quite predictable. There is a lot of buildup to a climax that you can see coming from a mile away. The execution was ok, but not the most exciting of this collection by any means. 2.5 stars.

“Defenders of the Frontier” by Robert Silverberg. This is almost a “Wow!” story along the lines of the Dozois or Stirling ones, and would be if it wasn’t so dreary. The setting is slightly similar. What I like about this one is the premise. The military saying of “hurry up and wait” is pretty literal here, when the waiting just keeps going on. But with everything, eventually something does change. 4 stars.

“The Scroll” by David Ball. This was a deliciously sinister story, set in 15th century Morocco. What happens when an engineer of war machines gets captured by the Moors and brought to the Emperor’s slave work gangs? It gets interesting when he catches the Emperors attention. 4.5 stars.

“The Mystery Knight” by George R.R. Martin. A return to the land of the Seven Kingdoms, in the form of a Dunk & Egg story. The third novella in the Hedge Knight series, this was a great read. It was so good to get back to Westeros and see a tournament, along with the usual GRRM underhanded behind the scenes plotting. 5 stars.
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |

Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waldrop, HowardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, DavidContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, TadContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This major collection of never-before-published tales of war and warriors features some of today's most popular writers of fantasy, including Robin Hobb, James Rollins, and Tad Williams.

91 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible