Warriors by George R. R. Martin

Warriors

by George R. R. Martin (Editor), Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: David Ball (Contributor), Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Lawrence Block (Contributor), Gardner Dozois (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor)16 more, Joe Haldeman (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor), Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Introduction), David Morrell (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), James Rollins (Contributor), Steven Saylor (Contributor), Robert Silverberg (Contributor), S. M. Stirling (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Howard Waldrop (Contributor), David Weber (Contributor), Tad Williams (Contributor)

Series: Dunk & Egg (contains 3 - Original prose format), Lord John (contains "Custom of the Army", 2.2), A Song of Ice and Fire (contains prequel 3 - The Mystery Knight), Warriors Anthology (complete)

I thoroughly enjoyed this compendium of stellar short stories! What I really liked was the diversity of ideas, eras and characters. There are many stories which I didn't want to see end.... I am going to have to enlarge my "to read" list considerably! Some faves include: "Ancient Ways" (SM Stirling), "Out of the Dark" (David Weber), "Dirae" (Peter S. Beagle), "The Pit" (James Rollins), and "Soldierin'" (Joe R. Lansdale). ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Three stories stood out - two which both look at the Rome/Carthage conflicts from different perspectives, Robin Hobb's "Triumph" and Steven Saylor's "Eagle and the Rabbit"; and Carrie Vaughan's "Girls from Avenger" about women pilots in the second world war. There were a load of other stories tying into series, some of which I know and some of which I don't, but those made less of an impact on me. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 4, 2017 |
I need more Dunk and Egg. ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
I only read the Lord John story by Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
i am really enjoying anthologies. most of these authors i would not read because the books are just way toooo big and the worlds are just so unfamiliar and have so many back stories and weird languages going on but in the anthologies everything is very simple and short. although there were a couple stories that had lots of characters and referenced back stories for the novels in the series that confused me a little. i enjoyed the majority of the stories. i think i only skimmed through 2 or 3 of them. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waldrop, HowardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, DavidContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, TadContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This major collection of never-before-published tales of war and warriors features some of today's most popular writers of fantasy, including Robin Hobb, James Rollins, and Tad Williams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible