Burned by P. C. Cast

English (67)  German (2)  All languages (69)
This was the book that finally pushed me over the edge to stop reading this series. They just get worse and worse. ( )
  MelanieTid | Jan 18, 2016 |
One of the most horribly written books I've ever read. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Zoey’s soul has been shattered but, sadly, because my suffering has not ended that means everyone is running around trying to save her.

Meanwhile Stevie Rae is determined to make even worse relationship decisions than Zoey. That sounds like a near impossible task, but she is up to the challenge.

This book is… so very typical of the House of Night series.

We have a plot line that completely rests on Zoey even though it really should be about someone else – Heath. Heath is the one who died – but no, it’s all about Zoey and her shattered soul. Y’know, I’d be a teeny tiny bit of sympathetic towards her if every last death in this series wasn’t all about her. Heath just follows Stark and Stevie Rae as yet another death that was all about precious precious Zoey.

So with Zoey properly centred as all important, nearly everyone else (except Stevie Rae, which we’ll come to) runs around trying to help her. This involves, inevitably, cryptic clues, poetry and everyone spending far far far far far too long trying to interpret everything because Nyx is incapable of being clear and the rest of the cast don’t have two brain cells between them.

Of course all of this happens with Neferet and Kalona planning terrbad naughty things and with Neferet manipulating the Council to try and make them believe she’s still on team good guy. And Nyx, while happy to send cryptic poetry, happy to send prophecies, happy to have little conversations with Aphrodite and Zoey and is even willing to slap Kalona upside the head in the Otherworld. But she STILL cannot bring herself to send her precious High Council a memo, or informative bowel problems or anything. Seriously, you’d think they’d be due a text or something. A tweet. Smoke signals, carrier pigeons (or raven monsters) something, anything. Nyx is trolling, pure and simple.

But while we’re discussing Kalona let’s touch on the intolerable retcon and redemption we can see hoving into view with inevitable awfulness: Kalona is going to be redeemed. I know this is coming because we spent time in this book AGAIN saying how sad and tortured poor Kalona is with an added side dish of how terribad evil Neferet is. Yes, she is definitely promoted to biggest of big bads and directly connected to the Darkness more than Kalona (more than that later) and is even imprisoning and forcing the poor tortured evil Kalona. I’ve said before, this series is much much more invested in having a female villain. The last two books have tried very hard to downplay Kalona’s villainy while bigging up Neferet’s awfulness.

Now some sensible people would say that Kalona, a rapist and multiple murderer can’t possibly be redeemed. To which I say, oh sensible person why are you even reading this book?!

I don’t even know if it’s worth even poking this damn plot. I mean Zoey goes to the Otherland with her shattered soul and puts it together. I’d like to say that this was an interesting story in which Zoey confronted all the different aspects of her personality and ritually murdered each terrible one but that would be a lie – we have three bits which wave and lo, done. There’s no conflict or development. Zoey goes form “waaah I can’t put my soul together” to “ok putting my soul together now” by just… trying harder.

Most of the plot is consumed by the dullness of Stevie Rae’s love life and the attempt to portray some desperate conflict with the House of Night which basically involves Stevie Rae occasionally meeting people, losing all patience with them within seconds and without them really saying anything and then storming out. It’s like the authors really want to portray her as getting sick of the establishment and storming out – but doesn’t have the patience to actually write the storyline because, really, it’s all about the love life

Stevie Rae has looked at the hot trainwreck mess of Zoey’s relationship and said that she can totally trump it (but probably with more folksy aphorisms because the way she speaks is so terrible I think the whole state of Oklahoma should declare war on the Casts. Or, at least, the book should come with a Gibberish Hillbilly to English dictionary). Yes, her imprint with Rephaim the evil bird monster has turned into a full blown romance. Of course, this being a House of Night book we can’t possibly have just one love interest for our pseudo-protagonist – so she’s already being followed around by the electric Red Fledgling Dallas (so called because he has absolutely no personality at all but instead has a shiny special magic power which kind of makes up for not having a personality right?).

Like her precious Zoey she decides the best way to deal with a love triangle is to sneak around behind the back of your boyfriend while you establish a relationship elsewhere. Of course, this would make her an utterly terrible person so, in proper House of Night fashion he transforms into an utter monster so Stevie Rae manages to keep on being the good guy. It’s very very helpful that the love interests in this book are always willing to start mining to the depths so the protagonists can cling to their moral high ground.

This may also explain why they’re attracted to the most evil possible guys around. Zoey got her redeemed rapist (aaargh, why do I even have to type that phrase?) who has pretty much set himself up as her one and only - so Stevie Rae decides she’s going to fall in love with and bond Rephaim, the inhuman, murdering Raven Monster

I just can’t wait until the next book when, if we’re following Zoey’s patter, Stevie Rae declares everyone judgmental meanings for not accepting her super evil love interest as a good guy.

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 5, 2016 |
I've always enjoyed the series but the past few books just lost my interest slightly, to the point that it was months before I finally read this one. Now I'm really glad I did as it was superb, I loved the new lore and information that has been added into it and given the series a whole new depth. It also helped me that there was a LOT less of Erik and lot's of Stark :D

The only down side was a spoiler for True Blood series 2. Pop culture references are great but preferably when they're vague enough not to spoil something for someone who hasn't seen that particular show. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
So this book is definitely up to the same standard as the first books in this series but definitely not as bad as Tempted that was more like filler than an actual book and then after a horrible filler story it left off with a serious cliffhanger. Not the best book...but this one kicks it up a notch and I am happy to see everyone working hard to get to a resolution toward the end of the book. I do not like the continued creepy visions of this and that and the like teasing that the author is doing, I mean, I know that teasing is part of a good story but this is starting to get ridiculous.

I enjoy the characters to an extent. I am starting to not feel the dialogue of the characters are bit, they sound to young in some parts but too old in others and it is messing me all up. Does any teen say bull-poopie? EVER? I almost closed the book and left it right there.

Other than the above, I really heart Stark and I am just to invested in this series to give up on it so...next up with be Awakened and I am hoping it is good. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
when ppl burn
added by fapgoogoogoo | editi touch myself

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
P. C.: This one is for my Guardian. I love you.
Kristin: (She means you, “Shawnus.”)
Kalona lifted his hands.
"Oh, please, if its ass is feathered and waterproof, it's a duck." Aphrodite
(p 95-96)
The Red One steps into the Light
girded loins for her part in
the apocalyptic fight.

Darkness hides in different forms
see beyond shape, color, lies
and the emotional storms.

Ally with him; pay with your heart
though trust cannot be given
unless the Darkness you part.

See with the soul and not your eyes
because to dance with beasts you
must penetrate their disguise.
(p 161)
A double-edged sword
One side destroys
One releases
I am your Gordian knot
Will you release or destroy you?
Follow truth and you shall:
What spirit already knows:
That even shattered
anything is possible
If you believe
The we shall both be free.
(p 289-290)
A double-edged sword
One side destroys
One releases

I am your Gordian knot
Will you release or destroy you?
Follow truth and you shall:

What spirit already knows:
That even shattered
anything is possible

If you believe
The we shall both be free

Things have turned black at the House of Night. Zoey Redbird’s soul has shattered. With everything she’s ever stood for falling apart, and a broken heart making her want to stay in the Otherworld forever, Zoey’s fading fast. It’s seeming more and more doubtful that she will be able pull herself back together in time to rejoin her friends and set the world to rights. As the only living person who can reach her, Stark must find a way to get to her. But how? He will have to die to do so, the Vampire High Council stipulates. And then Zoey will give up for sure. There are only 7 days left…

Enter BFF Stevie Rae. She wants to help Z but she has massive problems of her own. The rogue Red Fledglings are acting up, and this time not even Stevie Rae can protect them from the consequences. Her kinda boyfriend, Dallas, is sweet but too nosy for his own good. The truth is, Stevie Rae’s hiding a secret that might be the key to getting Zoey home but also threatens to explode her whole world.

In the middle of the whole mess is Aphrodite: ex-Fledgling, trust-fund baby, total hag from Hell (and proud of it). She’s always been blessed (if you could call it that) with visions that can reveal the future, but now it seems Nyx has decided to speak through her with the goddess’s own voice, whether she wants it or not. Aphrodite’s loyalty can swing a lot of different ways, but right now Zoey’s fate hangs in the balance.

Three girls… playing with fire… if they don’t watch out, everyone will get Burned.

As Zoey's fate hangs in the balance, her friends must figure out how to bring her back from the Otherworld while coping with serious problems of their own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,198,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible