Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy:…

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Carolyn Crane

Member:devilwrites
Title:Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 1)
Authors:Carolyn Crane
Info:Spectra (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:No Longer Own
Rating:***
Tags:carolyn crane, urban fantasy, read: ssw

Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

Mind Games
4 Stars

A chance encounter with a mysterious man leads Justine Jones, a hardcore hypochondriac convinced that she will drop dead at any moment, to a secret world of undercover operatives who utilize their neuroses to reboot criminals and lessen the impact of their emotional problems. While Justine is eager at first, she soon learns that there is more to the enigmatic Sterling Packard and his motley crew than meets the eye and that she may just have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire...

A surprisingly entertaining read.

Justine’s health obsession has the potential for being exceedingly irritating. However, as it turns out her extreme hypochondria and over the top reactions actually leads to numerous laugh out loud moments and makes her character all the more endearing.

The world building is very compelling although it takes time for the reader to come to terms with the idea that people’s neuroses can be used as weapons. Moreover, the concept of rebooting criminals raises some interesting ethical questions. On the one hand, the “punishment fits the crime” scenario is very appealing, but on the other, it suggests that evil can be redeemed by forcing perpetrators to accept responsibility. This is troublesome as the remorse is manufactured rather than real.

The secondary characters are a highlight of the book. Packard’s crew of disillusionists provide a real sense of family and belonging to Justine and there are also several potential love interests ranging from Cubby, Justine’s sweet yet rather clueless boyfriend, to Packard who has the whole dark, brooding and tortured thing going for him, and finally Otto, the police chief who is more than a little strange, smarmy and creepy. I guess its obvious who I’m rooting for …

On a final note, Rebecca Wisocky’s narration is perfect. Her voices for the various characters are both charming and funny, and Shelby’s Russian accent is particularly amusing.

All in all, Mind Games ended up being far more enjoyable than expected and I look forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This is probably one of the most unique storylines I have read in the urban fantasy genre. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Definitely a series to watch! Though I'm not a huge fan of present tense (he walks, she runs, I hear) the best of the book blows any hesitation I had out of the water. Great characters, who are real and intense in a way that I haven't seen in a while. There's a chaotic mix of romance, sci-fi/fantasy and comic book ingenuity that is completely enthralling! I've already ordered the second book before I even finished the first).
  AshleyMichele | Feb 13, 2016 |
Not completely what I was expecting, and I'll admit I was skeptical (I'm a psychologist and often find myself critiquing an author's portrayal of mental illness instead of enjoying a book), but it was well written with a very inventive plot. I will most likely be picking up the next book in the series. ( )
  joyhclark | Jan 20, 2016 |
The premise sounds preposterous, but the author manages to pull it off in an entertaining story that kept me hooked until the end. I just bought the second book from Audible! ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |

Justine knows she's going to die. Any second now.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem. Or is it?

In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness - only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.

With the help of Packard, the leader of a private crime-fighting team, Justine Jones, a hardcore hypochondriac, learns how to weaponize her neurosis to take down Midcity's most dangerous criminals, including a nymphomaniac husband-killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,898,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible