Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy:…

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Carolyn Crane

Member:devilwrites
Title:Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 1)
Authors:Carolyn Crane
Info:Spectra (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:No Longer Own
Rating:***
Tags:carolyn crane, urban fantasy, read: ssw

Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

Recently added byIamFluff, -sunny-, atcolorado, libra79, Christine_Blackthorn, private library

I really liked this book. The idea of having a hypochondriac as the main character is fantastic! There were a few instances in the plot where the coincidences were a bit too much but otherwise, I felt like it was a pretty solid story with fairly solid characters. Some of the side characters were lacking a bit but all of the main characters and many of the other characters were strong. I will definitely be reading the next books in this series, although I am not scrambling to get them. I will probably read a few others first. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Not completely what I was expecting, and I'll admit I was skeptical (I'm a psychologist and often find myself critiquing an author's portrayal of mental illness instead of enjoying a book), but it was well written with a very inventive plot. I will most likely be picking up the next book in the series. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
The underlying mythology/magic structure is intriguing, as is the setup and the romantic triangle. Not much suspense, though - I felt like the twist was telegraphed. Found myself skimming the text just to get to the end; while the ending neatly sets-up the sequel, I found myself just not interested in what happens to the characters next. (Two stars because the mythology is very creative.) ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
Well, here is something original (more or less).
Not the most captivating of the plots, but an enjoyable reading. ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
3.5 stars. It's kind of unusual for me to power through a book all in one day like this, especially when I have other things I'm supposed to be reading (or maybe that's why...), but I basically did just that. Aside from some minor nitpicks (there doesn't seem to be any treatment existing in Midcity for mental health issues, or at least the characters never mention trying and failing any of them, or even being aware of the options), I thoroughly enjoyed this as a light yet suspenseful read. Justine was snarky in all the right ways, which made her fun to read about even when not much was happening. I don't normally read adult paranormal romance/urban fantasy books as often as I'd like, so the few sex scenes surprised me (even though in adult terms, the explicitness was probably low-to-mid level) and kind of made me roll my eyes a little, but I think that's because I've just read too much YA these days, and they never talk about "cucumbery" penises or whatever. May write a longer review later. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |

Justine knows she's going to die. Any second now.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem. Or is it?

In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness - only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.

With the help of Packard, the leader of a private crime-fighting team, Justine Jones, a hardcore hypochondriac, learns how to weaponize her neurosis to take down Midcity's most dangerous criminals, including a nymphomaniac husband-killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible