In A Perfect World by Laura Kasischke

In A Perfect World (2009)

by Laura Kasischke

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: A very similar plot, a woman protecting her family during a pandemic.
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: very similar plot, engrossing.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (bdav1818)

English (15)  French (2)  All languages (17)
I enjoyed this book. It covered so many issues: global warming, epidemics, motherhood, family, and survival. These topics don't sound like they would go together, but this book is beautifully written in the way it ties them together. The author based a lot of this story on the Black Plague which I haven't read much about. I am now interested in reading about it. Not all the characters are likeable at first, but many redeem themselves as the novel progresses. This is definitely a novel about the choices we make and the choices we are sometimes forced into. This book holds a lot of fodder for book club discussions. Definitely will be reading more from this author. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Sep 3, 2015 |
At first I disliked the book. Kind of romantic, almost a chic-lit story of a not-too-bright flight attendant who falls in love with a pilot. Blah. But then the pandemic strikes and the story turns into something else. This is definitely not the post-apocalyptic story I suspected, but an interesting one nonetheless. I kept wondering, though, would it really be so easy and peaceful to live in a world where the infrastructure is more or less lost? Would life in small town America continue peacefully - only without electricity - while the big cities collapsed? They might. But for how long? ( )
  Iira | Jul 15, 2015 |
I was unsure about the novel for most of the time I spent reading - it seemed purely superficial, lacking some sort of depth that could truly draw me into the story. While the situation was eerily prescient for our current times, I just couldn't quite connect with Jiselle's life. And then the author gave this book the absolute perfect ending - for THIS story - and it all came together. I'm extremely happy I stuck it out until the end, because it wound up being a thoroughly rewarding experience. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Sep 14, 2014 |
A very dark, slow book about the ending of the world and what could happen. Jiselle, a 32 year old flight attendant marries the most eligible, best looking pilot flying the skies and ends her career to stay home with his three children. What I couldn't figure out was what took her so long to realize she had been duped? Reminded me of "The Road" only not written as well. And the ending? No ending whatsoever! ( )
  txwildflower | Jun 24, 2011 |
A lovely, yet disturbing book. Jiselle is a determined woman. I cannot seem to get this book off of my mind; perhaps, because I'm afraid it will be our future. ( )
  turbobks | Feb 2, 2011 |
But I must go back again to the Beginning of this Surprizing Time...
Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year

...and the branches, full of blossoms, closed over them...Hans Christian Anderson
For Bill with love to Jack & Lucy Abernethy and with vast eternities of gratitude to Lisa Bankoff
If you are READING this you are going to DIE!
She was thinking that she'd waited a long time for this.

She was thinking that she'd waited long enough.
One historian Jiselle heard interviewed on NPR said, in a voice so low it sounded like the source of gravity itself, that a return to traditions often preceded the complete collapse of a culture.

This is the way the world ends...

It was a fairy tale come true when Mark Dorn—handsome pilot, widower, tragic father of three—chose Jiselle to be his wife. The other flight attendants were jealous: She could quit now, leaving behind the million daily irritations of the job. (Since the outbreak of the Phoenix flu, passengers had become even more difficult and nervous, and a life of constant travel had grown harder.) She could move into Mark Dorn's precious log cabin and help him raise his three beautiful children.

But fairy tales aren't like marriage. Or motherhood. With Mark almost always gone, Jiselle finds herself alone, and lonely. She suspects that Mark's daughters hate her. And the Phoenix flu, which Jiselle had thought of as a passing hysteria (when she had thought of it at all), well . . . it turns out that the Phoenix flu will change everything for Jiselle, for her new family, and for the life she thought she had chosen.

From critically acclaimed author Laura Kasischke comes a novel of married life, motherhood, and the choices we must make when we have no choices left.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:06 -0400)

"The Pilot's Wife" meets "The Road" in critically-acclaimed poet Kasischke's new novel of marriage, motherhood, and the choices people make when they feel they have no choices left.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,563,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible