Suicide Kings by George R. R. Martin

Suicide Kings

by George R. R. Martin (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Contributor), S. L. Farrell (Contributor), Victor Milán (Contributor), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), Caroline Spector (Contributor)1 more, Ian Tregillis (Contributor)

Series: Wild Cards (20)

Dreary, dull, drab.
Dull, dreary, drab.
Drab. Dull. Dreary.

And perhaps a little...repetitive.

Now, George R. R. Martin is a pretty popular author--not really for this book, but in general. And, although I prefer not to make a past-time out of painting a picture of people's problems, I've still got to ask...

What's the matter with you guys?

I mean, if you like Kevin J. Anderson--and haven't noticed that he's a fake fucking failure, the loser--then you'll love this. Or, if you think that Terry-Brooks-on-a-bad-day really *is* a facsimile of Tolkien, or that Robert Jordan really *does* have a deep spiritual understanding of Hindu cosmology, or whatever, (which he acquired in, uh, Vietnam? In the Marines, or something?) then, sure, go right ahead.

Be boyish, bogus, broken.

Seriously, though, do you think you're some soldier? Then get yourself shot in Afghanistan...

What a joke.

The black light.

(6/10) ( )
  Tullius22 | Mar 13, 2012 |
Helping a couple of kids.

Bubbles has a problem, in that her parents want to turn off life support and feeding for her. Rustbelt has a problem in that the penpal kid he has been sponsoring is no longer in communication. The Committee and Noel Matthews have a big problen in The Radical and the PPA and their leaders and their child aces mowing doing Caliphate armies. Jonathan Hive has a problem is that his girlfriend is dead, so he can only talk to her through Cameo, who has just found the hat that lets her talk to her own dead lover. The Chinese spy who is The Radical's lover has a problem in that her boyfriend is getting crazier every day as he massacres people. Mark Meadows' problem is to try and get his body back.

So, multiple threads to get through and converge on Africa while everyone tries not to die.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2011/01/suicide-kings-george-r-r-martin... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Jan 30, 2011 |
...A book written by so many different authors will always pose serious challenges for the editor. Martin has done an admirable job in making all these different authors speak with one voice but Suicide Kings also clearly shows some of the drawbacks of this process. Especially in the early parts of the novel the constant jumps between characters made this book though going. Once the direction of the story became clear, my reading speeded up significantly and I must admit the finale of the book is very strong, both emotionally and in terms of the action scenes. I guess on the whole I liked this one better than Busted Flush, which suffered from a meandering plot, but the result is still less than stellar. After the strong opening I am mildly disappointed by the way this trilogy developed but on the other hand I am also impressed by the way the books dare to take on some pretty heavy themes and the way the characters are developed by multiple authors. In short, I am left with mixed feelings about this interesting but challenging project.

Full Random Comments review ( )
1 vote Valashain | May 24, 2010 |
I had read inside straight a while ago (the first in the latest Wild Cards trilogy) and grabbed this from the library for escape reading. Unfortunately, I was a little disoriented as I missed a book between that one and this one, although Kings is written with enough recap that I think I eventually caught up. Most of the action took place in Africa, and the plot was a little heavy handed, although the Radical was an interesting character. ( )
  librarythingaliba | Apr 21, 2010 |
Suicide Kings keeps the ball in constant motion, and is an immensely enjoyable read. The single serious negative, in my humble estimation, is the irreversible disposal of the wrong character among the newbies.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Nathan Brazil (Jan 15, 2010)

Martin and company — Melinda M. Snodgrass, Daniel Abraham, S. L. Farrell, Victor Milan, Melinda M. Snodgrass, Caroline Spector and Ian Tregillis — have successfully ironed out the abrupt shifts of style that made the previous Committee novel so uneven. Thus, the action and overall narrative of SUICIDE KINGS flows much smoother and more consistently.
added by sdobie | editBookgasm, Alan Cranis (Dec 16, 2009)

Martin, George R. R.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farrell, S. L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Milán, VictorContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snodgrass, Melinda M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spector, CarolineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tregillis, IanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent survived to mutate into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible