Urge To Kill by John Lutz

Urge To Kill

by John Lutz

This book started kinda slow for me. I like a pick up and go. It wasn't a bad book just not a go go go! there were a couple spots but for the most part not a bad read.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
I really used to like Lutz as a writer. His past few books have been really bad. I don't mind the violence or swearing or anything like that in the book. What I don't like is that lack of a solid plot. This book has about 4 plots going at the same time, and just one of them was mildly interesting and the other was pretty good. The one plot to me that seemed decent was the one about the dead cop. The other plot I liked was a nasty serial killer. If Lutz just wrote about the "cop plot", or the killer plot, any one of thoset would have been a pretty darn good read. BUt only one. But no, Lutz didn't do that. So much of the book could have been taken out.

One of the plots (I used that word with a grain of salt) Pearl had a mole and she wasn't sure if it was cancerous or not. Honestly, that was it. So much of the book was devoted to that. I mean, a lot of the book was. It was just such a drag to read about, and it slowed the story down.

I also didn't like how there was a stalker and how Lutz devoted so much time to the stalker stalking people. At one point we read for 10 pages the stalker stalking someone. 10 pages! Couldn't Lutz just say, "He (the stalker) stalked her for the entire day to learn her patters and habits." There, done. It just took one sentence to say what Lutz said in 10 pages.

Part of the book is told in a flashback so the reader can see what the killer/stalker was like as a child. Huh?! Do we really need to know this? I look at it this way, I don't need to know how an engine works to drive my car. Who cares why the killer/stalker turned out the way they did? Just tell a great story.

This book has so much fluff in it and not enough of a solid plot that keeps the reader glued to the pages. I borrowed Urge to Kill from the library, and I still feel cheated.

I say give this book a pass. ( )
  Reacherfan | Feb 12, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786018453, Mass Market Paperback)

Homicide detective Frank Quinn can't stay retired when a new breed of murdering madman is on the prowl. In a city terrorized by bloody brutality, Quinn and his team hunt a psychopath who lures beautiful women into a night of unbridled passion, then wakes them to a vicious, drawn-out death. Stumbling over a trail of horribly defiled bodies, Quinn can't seem to catch up to the killer - because the killer is about to catch up to him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:52 -0400)

John Lutz brings back veteran homicide detective Frank Quinn in a gruesome new page-turner that masterfully keeps the pressure pounding through savage twists and turns that are sure to captivate thriller fans.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible