Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Times of My Life and My Life with the…

The Times of My Life and My Life with the Times (1998)

by Max Frankel

Did not much enjoy his retelling of his Jewish childhood and teens, although extraordinary how his mother's courage and persistence got them out of an incredibly precarious situation in Hitler's Third Reich, just one step from the concentration camps. The real meat of the book comes as he joins the staff of the Times. Although there is a tone of self justification common to many autobiographies, it does not really detract from the compelling story telling possible from the point of view of someone so close to such a lot of the major stories in the U.S., in Moscow and around the world from the 60's to the 90's. Recommended. ( )
  Matt_B | Sep 17, 2016 |
A Jewish refugee from war-torn Europe, Max Frankel worked his way into the top editorial position at The New York Times – and had a ring-side seat to most of the post-World War II-era’s most significant events. In this memoir, Frankel takes readers on an informative ramble through his life. His descriptions and analyses provide astute explanations of the events (the Cold War, the Bay of Pigs, the Pentagon Papers to name a few) he covered in his decades of reporting from all over the world.

I’ve read several books about The Times and its people, and each one gives a different viewpoint of what went on there at certain key points. The Time of My Life and My Life is no exception – and the author was certainly in a position to know what went on inside the executive suite.

Mr. Frankel mentions near the end of the book that he knows others called him “pompous,” although he doesn’t see himself that way. But that’s exactly the word I would use to describe the person who comes off the pages of The Time of My Life and My Life. He certainly included a lot of lengthy examples of his own writing.

I’ve read a lot of biographies and memoirs from NYT journalists – and The Time of My Life and My Life is one of the most interesting and enlightening. ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 6, 2013 |
Frankel, Max, 1930-/Journalists > United States > Biography/New York times/Jews, German > United States > Biography/Jews > Germany > History > 1933-1945
  Budzul | Jun 1, 2008 |
3973. The Times of My Life and My Life with the Times, by Max Frankel (read 11 Jan 2005) This 1999 book by the executive editor of the New York Times from 1986 to 1994 covers his life from the time he got his first job with his first and only employer. His account of his and his mother's escape from Germany in 1939 is highly dramatic and is well-told. He covered many of the big events from the 1950s till 1994 and it is exciting history as he tells of them. I thought this was as good a book as Katherine Graham's prize-winning account of her years with the Washington Post which I read 22 Aug 1997. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 14, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679448241, Hardcover)

The retired executive editor of the New York Times grippingly evokes his terror as a young Jewish boy in Nazi Germany and his discomfort as an impoverished immigrant in the United States. But it's those 45 years at the Times we really want to read about, and Frankel's account does not disappoint. Yes, he proudly believes his newspaper is America's most important, revered by its educated, influential readers and unswerving in its commitment to informed, impartial reporting. But Frankel is commendably candid about the Times' institutional failings (in particular its slowness to support and promote women, blacks, and homosexuals) and surprisingly so about behind-the-headlines maneuvers among the staff. He airs his differences with the paper's publishers, Arthur Sulzberger and Arthur Sulzberger Jr., and makes it clear that he didn't much care for Abe Rosenthal, his predecessor as executive editor. He's equally frank, in a restrained way, about his personal life (two marriages, three kids) but in approved Times fashion saves most of his plain, yet nicely turned, words for public affairs and the newspaper's response to them. It's just the sort of memoir you'd expect from a newspaper man: dignified, lucid, maybe just a tiny bit self-important, but always interesting. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:03 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,487,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible