Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

Stuff Christians Like (2010)

by Jon Acuff

This book is divided in ten major chapters and the author writes about the topics in those chapters in deep details, giving his perception of many common situations that we see happening suring services at our churches.

The author uses all his sarcasm to describe all situations that happen in a daily basis at the church, at the office, anywhere, that are related to the Christian faith. In one hand, this book is extremely funny and if you are willing to laugh out loud, you could not choose a better book. In the other hand, the author nails deep in our conscience. It is like a “wake up call”, and if we start thinking about what he is writing, instead of laughing we should be crying. He just describes the naked truth of the current status of situations happening inside our faith. He has a great sense of humor and perception. Some chapters are really hilarious, like how to handle the handholding situation during a service.

God is not a joke. We need to take God seriously, and that does not mean that we cannot have fun and laugh, but when we start judging people by what they do or what they don’t do, we start trying to act as God. Thanks to the author for allowing us to note and meditate on how several times silly things can distract us from the things that really matters.

This book is classified as a Humor/General Book and was written by Jonathan Acuff in 2010.

It took me around 7 hours to read this book.

Read more reviews on my blog http://booksandmoviesreviews.blogspot.com and leave comments!
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very funny, fun read. I read through this and then listened to the audiobook with Kristen. We laughed til we cried. Well written and full of things that Christians think but don't say. Enjoy! ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
I love Jon Acuff, love his blog and this book is just a sampling of his satirical wit. He has a keen sense for calling us on all the goofy stuff that distracts us from the God of the Universe, while still challenging and encouraging us to join him in maintaining a passionate pursuit of Christ. Pick this one up but only if you're ready to laugh at yourself. :-) ( )
  Paula.Wiseman | Jun 3, 2011 |
This book can only be appreciated by people who have travelled in evangelical circles. The author does a great job of pointing out some of the more inane posturing that goes on. ( )
  knitwit2 | May 31, 2010 |
Rather good satire about the strange traditions and special language that has become a part of the Christian Church. Acuff, having grown up in the church, recognizes the culture well, and he has a sharp wit when pointing it out.

I do get the impression that Acuff thinks that he is doing something different than he is. Certain parts make it seem like he views this effort as a ministry for the church. Which it could be, certainly, but while I am very comfortable filing this book under "humor," I'm not at all comfortable putting the tag "Christianity" on it, because there isn't enough theology in this book to fill a thimble. He makes fun of a lot of theology, but if this is a ministry, then it is a ministry that is driving us to cast off the vain traditions of the church and replace them with . . . what?

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but Acuff did put a "serious" chapter in at the end, so it is clear he is trying to sail us somewhere in this particular boat. It just doesn't seem like he's put nearly the time into studying the Word as he has studying the silly things we do when studying the Word. I would have been much happier with the book had it not had the pretensions of something more than it should have been. ( )
1 vote nesum | May 1, 2010 |
Stuff Jon Likes: Jenny.
Introduction
If you buy this book, God will make you rich.
I was going to say, "If you read this book," but I'm pretty sure people who get it at the library won't receive the same amount of awesomeness as people who buy it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0310319943, Paperback)

Sometimes, we fall in love on mission trips even though we know we'll break up when we get back. Sometimes, you have to shot block a friend's prayer because she's asking God to bless an obviously bad dating relationship. Sometimes, you think, 'I wish I had a t-shirt that said 'I direct deposit my tithe' so people wouldn't judge me.' Sometimes, the stuff that comes with faith is funny. This is that stuff. Jonathan Acuff's Stuff Christians Like is your field guide to all things Christian. In it you'll learn the culinary magic of the crock-pot. Think you've got a Metro worship leader---Use Acuff's checklist. Want to avoid a prayer handholding faux pas? Acuff has you covered. Like a satirical grenade, Acuff brings us the humor and honesty that galvanized more than a million online readers from more than 200 countries in a new portable version. Welcome to the funny side of faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

Sometimes, we fall in love on mission trips even though we know we'll break up when we get back. Sometimes, you have to shot block a friend's prayer because she's asking God to bless an obviously bad dating relationship. Sometimes, you think, "I wish I had a t-shirt that said 'I direct deposit my tithe' so people wouldn't judge me." Sometimes, the stuff that comes with faith is funny. This is that stuff. Jonathan Acuff's Stuff Christians Like is your field guide to all things Christian. You'll learn the culinary magic of the crock-pot. Think you've got a Metro worship leader - use Acuff's checklist. Want to avoid a prayer handholding faux pas? Acuff has you covered. Like a satirical grenade, Acuff brings us the humor and honesty that galvanized more than a million online readers from more than 200 countries in a new portable version. Welcome to the funny side of faith.… (more)

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible