Billy Thunder and the Night Gate by Isobelle…

Billy Thunder and the Night Gate (2000)

by Isobelle Carmody

Recently added byprivate library, PoMoFo, maggie6172000, thedeans, SubhaV, VeronicaCrothers

Isobelle Carmody is one of the best writers ever. It must be because she's Australian (a lot of my favorite authors are Australian).

But seriously, her writing is just so beautiful and gorgeous that it's hard to stop reading once you've really gotten into it. I admit, the first half of Night Gate is a bit hard to sink one's teeth into, but if you make it that far, you are definitely in for the rest of the ride.

Isobelle Carmody makes me -feel- everything she writes. In the beginning, Rage is in a miserable position, and I felt just miserable reading about it. When Rage and company encounter the sinister city of Fork, I could -feel- the menacing presence of such a city, and I can honestly say that it gave me chills. When Rage is screaming in pain and fury, I'm screaming right along with her, and when Rage is laughing in happiness, I can't help but join in.

Night Gate is a work of art. That's all I can say.

Third Time Reading:
You know it's a good book when you take up the tradition of reading it again every year. Once again, I admit that the first half or so is a bit tedious and hard to sink your teeth into... but it's just so beautiful.

Isobelle Carmody strikes me as a very wise and knowing woman. Her knowledge of the world and love and emotion and pain is heartbreakingly accurate.

This is a story that will stay with me forever, a story that I will ponder and contemplate, a story that I hug tightly after every reading. It's a quiet, beautiful little thing. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 19, 2011 |
Beautifully imagined story with a surprisingly simple message; good for kids. ( )
  zerraweth | Oct 11, 2008 |
Really well constructed book. Very easy to read and it keeps you hooked and deeply invested in the characters. ( )
  Blueyonderdreams | Sep 4, 2007 |
Rather long and complicated novel that is not what you expect it to be from the title & cover. Thought it was a young kids’ book. Rage’s mother is in a coma & she ® is on the verge of being put in a home. She & her 4 dogs set out to visit the mum – at night. R hears a voice promising a cure for her mother if she goes through the bramble gate.When she does- all her dogs (& a goat) who follow, change into semi-humans. Billy Thunder is the most human, one is a small elf, one a huge bear. Rage goes on a quest through the enchanted Valley which is slowly losing its magic to a great dark town that constantly changes shape and form to find the mysterious magician who can restore the magic & send her back into the world.p.50 to “longing” p.51 then to “Mr Walker began growling” to “I’ve never heard of it”. Rage meets a centaur.
  nicsreads | Apr 6, 2007 |
This is a pretty standard quest story - a girl travels through a magic land to find a wizard to save her ill mother. What made is special was the animals turned human characters - I could really feel the doggishness in their conversations and actions. To say nothing of the goat. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Feb 19, 2007 |
Billy Thunder and the Night Gate (Republished title: Night Gate)

Rage Winnoway’s closest friends have always been her four dogs: Bear, Billy Thunder, Elle, and Mr. Walker. When Rage sets off for the hospital where her mother lies in a coma, the dogs and the neighbor’s goat tag along. On the way, they run into the firecat, who talks them into going through a magical gate. And something wonderful happens! Each of Rage’s friends is transformed. Bear becomes a real bear; Billy Thunder, a teenage boy; Elle, a warrior woman; Mr. Walker, a small, large-eared gentleman; and the goat, a satyr with an inferiority complex. Together, Rage and her companions embark on a quest to save the world of Valley, a journey that is somehow tied to Rage’s family. In this brilliant tale of courage and transformation, Isobelle Carmody captures the magic of Narnia and the whimsy of Wonderland without losing sight of the real world and all its difficulties.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:56 -0400)

Seeking a cure for her sick mother, Courage "Rage" Winnoway and her dogs pass through a magical gateway to a strange land known as Valley where they must find, before the sand in an enchanted hourglass runs out, the powerful wizard noted for his healing magic.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible