Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials by…

Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials (edition 2010)

by Rosalind Wiseman

Member:thekaisu
Title:Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials
Authors:Rosalind Wiseman
Info:Putnam (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 288 pages

Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials by Rosalind Wiseman

It was good, and as an adult, I could see where she's trying to teach lessons to the teens through what happens, but I'm not sure how a teen would take it. I'll have to talk one into reading it and see how she reacts. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
Plot: The first half of the book focuses on Charlie finding her way around her new school and making new, and much better, friends while the second half focuses on the actual hazing stuff and what some students feel they need to do in order to fit in. I can’t really say I related much to either because that sort of thing doesn’t happen at my high school, but I know it is a common occurrence in others. There was a lot more dialogue then I felt necessary. Really there were just a lot of unnecessary words in general. Overall it was a pretty predictable plot. Only a few things seemed to shock me, but only because I felt they were random.

Characters: I liked Charlie and could really relate to her need to ditch her middle school friends and find new, drama-free ones. I was glad to see her finally standing up for herself and doing what she knew was right. I love that she stayed true to herself. Will was a sweetheart and just a normal teenage boy trying to fit in and be liked by his fellow teammates and schoolmates. Their crushes on each other were very obvious and I saw then ending coming from the beginning. I’ve always been a fan of the best-friends-turned-into-a-couple romance and theirs was no different.

Cover: I felt that the cover and, even the title, was a bit misleading. It made me think there was going to be a lot of chemistry involved, but there wasn’t any chemistry between the characters and I don’t even think that was one of their classes. It’s still cute though.

Overall Impression: I had heard a lot about this book which set my expectations pretty high and unfortunately I don’t feel like they were met.

Fun Fact: The movie Mean Girls was loosely based off of Rosalind Wiseman’s other book, Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
I liked it. This book was really well written, and it was enjoyable. The only thing i didn't like was the fact that it took so long to get to the real action. But maybe that's just because I like fast paced books. ( )
  Milaxox | Feb 23, 2014 |
Uhm...I'd give this a 3.7 maybe! It was a fun one time read! Lacked more romance! ( )
  pahel | May 10, 2013 |
This book was pretty good. It was one of the best books I've read this whole year. It was a nice fast read and it was easy to relate to. ( )
  MaWa0404 | Jan 31, 2011 |
But in her realistic portrayal of everyday freshman anxieties, romance, and the sometimes “toolish” culture of male high-school athletes, Wiseman prompts readers to consider vital questions about authentic friendship, personal responsibility, and the slippery roles of bully, bystander, and victim.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg

Fortunately, Charlie proves a flawed, humorous, and perceptive narrator as she matures, standing up for herself and others. There is occasional swearing, some forced dialogue (heavy on the exclamations), and a discussion-worthy ending.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Danielle Serra

To my mother Kathy, and my aunts Mary, Nancy, and Peggy--you more than anyone have made me believe that what I say matters.
Here's the deal.

Looking for a new beginning after a terrible mean girl past, Charlie Healey realizes there’s no escaping high school drama.

Charlie Healey thinks Harmony Falls is the beginning of a whole new life. Middle school was brutal. But high school is Charlie’s big chance to start over and stay out of drama, except that on her first day she runs into Will, her ex–best friend, who had moved away. Now a varsity athlete and hotter than Charlie remembered, Will hangs with the crowd running the school. But Charlie doesn’t understand their power until an innocent delivery guy falls victim to a near-deadly hazing prank.

Torn between doing what’s right and her secret feelings for Will, Charlie must decide whether to turn in her very best friend or live with the guilt of knowing what he did.

Rosalind Wiseman’s first novel for young adults is a fresh, funny, and juicy read about friendship, betrayal, and how far some will go to be accepted.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

Transferring to a new high school, freshman Charlotte "Charlie" Healey faces tough choices as she tries to shed her "mean girl" image.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible