The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton

The Lock Artist

by Steve Hamilton

English (48)  Danish (1)  All languages (49)
Phew... This seems to have taken me a long time, for some reason.

It was a very... interesting book. I don't know if I'll call this exactly a thriller, though. It never really had my heart stop beating and my lungs stop breathing with the tension of it.

Still, the premise was cool, and I really really liked Michael, the protag. And I did feel for him, especially at the end.

The very ending might have been a bit underwhelming, but over all I enjoyed the book; I'm glad I read it. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this - a bit of skipping back & forth in time but it was not annoying. Shades of Shawshank Redemption by S. King with a touch of the main character from Darkly Dreaming Dexter (in self-awareness, not hobby).
I recommend! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
This was a really good book and not the kind of thing I usually listen to. Mostly because I haven't known how to find it, I think. This is a straight up, modern fiction.

I found this one because I like the narrator. He has read a series I liked and I was hoping that what he likes to read is stuff that I like to listen to. I wasn't disappointed.

I became fond of the characters. I like Mike and would invite him to dinner. I'm still wondering what's going on with his uncle, Lido. By the time I found out what caused him to lose his voice, I was too wrapped up in the story to "look away" from the bad stuff. But there was another part where I had to pause and catch my breath before I could finish.

I will be looking for more by Steve Hamilton. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Very good book. I'm not normally a mystery/thriller reader but this one was recommended by author Maggie Stiefvater. It's about a young boy who through a traumatic experience early on in life has lost the ability to speak. He finds he is talented at opening locks which inadvertently leads him unwillingly into a life of crime. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
Book Description
"I was the Miracle Boy, once upon a time. Later on, the Milford Mute. The Golden Boy. The Young Ghost. The Kid. The Boxman. The Lock Artist. That was all me.
But you can call me Mike."
Marked by tragedy, traumatized at the age of eight, Michael, now eighteen, is no ordinary young man. Besides not uttering a single word in ten years, he discovers the one thing he can somehow do better than anyone else. Whether it's a locked door without a key, a padlock with no combination, or even an eight-hundred pound safe ... he can open them all.
It's an unforgivable talent. A talent that will make young Michael a hot commodity with the wrong people and, whether he likes it or not, push him ever close to a life of crime. Until he finally sees his chance to escape, and with one desperate gamble risks everything to come back home to the only person he ever loved, and to unlock the secret that has kept him silent for so long.

My Review
This standalone crime fiction was a fascinating story which switched between different time periods. I listened to the audio and it held my interest all the way through to the end. The narrator, MacLeod Andrews, did an excellent job reading the book aloud. I never read Steve Hamilton before but I found this book to be well-written. I look forward to reading more of his books in the near future. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Michael and Amelia and how they communicated without Michael speaking. I would highly recommend this book to those who love crime fiction with a hint of romance. ( )
  EadieB | May 23, 2017 |
To the Allens
You may remember me. Think back.  The summer of 1990.

Traumatized at the age of eight and pushed into a life of crime by reason of his unforgiveable talent--lock picking--Michael sees his chance to escape, and with one desperate gamble risks everything to come back home to the only person he ever loved, and to unlock the secret that has kept him silent for so long.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible