Capital: A Critique of Political Ecomony,…

Capital: A Critique of Political Ecomony, Vol. 1: The Process of… (1867)

by Karl Marx

Other authors: Friedrich Engels (Editor)

Series: Capital: A Critique of Political Economy (1)

Capitalism and the Historians by F. A. Hayek (Anonymous user)
    Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt (mcaution)
    mcaution: Economics is haunted by more fallacies than any other study known to man. Hazlitt intends to correct this injustice.
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Proven time and again from an economic standpoint, Rand provides a much needed defense of capitalism from the philosophic.

English (8)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (10)
Beginning with a broad discussion of commodities and their place in capitalist economies, this controversial work by Karl Marx goes on to analyze the Western economic and political systems, while providing a commentary on the nature of value, the role of the working class, and the centrality of the importance of the liberation of humanity from the oppressive class distinctions which Marx sees in the concept of capitalism.
  cw2016 | Feb 22, 2017 |
Wow. Very difficult, especially in the beginning, but surprisingly moving and different from what I thought. I learned that Marx thought a peaceful socialist revolution was possible in England. That he viewed "surplus value" (the engine of capital) as the product of unpaid labor (basically). That he could be an incredibly snarky and fun critic of political economists. And much more! ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 12, 2017 |
Oundgänglig än idag för att förstå kapitalismen. ( )
  Arwid | Jun 14, 2016 |
I have to admit I didn’t come to this work unbiased. My best childhood friend was a “red diaper baby” and her family struck me as much more fanatical than any Christian (or Muslim) Fundamentalist. I also got my fill of Marxist ideology from my college professors. But exactly because I do think this ideology has done tremendous harm is exactly the reason not to ignore Marx--hate him or admire him--his ideas have had a profound impact in the culture, history and politics of the last 150 years.

But there’s another problem. Whatever I think of the ideas within it, “The Communist Manifesto” is a lively rip-roaring rabble rousing read (and short). Das Kapital on the other hand, is impenetrable, turgid, truly painful reading. And it’s no pamphlet. It’s long. Mind you, I don't mean that in and of itself is a refutation of Marx's claims. Human Action, the magnum opus of Ludwig Von Mises, the economist arguably most revered by free market advocates, is easily as impenetrable and painful to read. Sometimes it's just the case that some subjects (such as the Theory of Relativity) are inherently difficult and not to be understood without a lot of work. Even the book that recommended Das Kapital as an important work had this to say about it:

The most important critique of capitalist society ever written--but enormously difficult. Marx’s categories, grounded in classical political economy and German philosophy, often prove elusive for the general reader. A reading of the work by Mandel [The Formation of the Economic Thought of Karl Marx] may be a more realistic way to approach Marx

Ernest Mandel is “a leading French Marxist.” I chose instead a former Marxist and free market advocate, Thomas Sowell. His book Marxism is lucid and cogent. After giving it a read I tried Marx again. He’s in the public domain and it’s possible to find free English translations online as well as free ebooks for download of the first volume.

I tried this one. And you know what? It doesn’t seem to matter from what source I get my Marxism--my professors, on the street, from Sowell or the real thing. It still strikes me as noxious crap. Really Marx? The value of a commodity is the labor put into it? Not supply and demand? So if it is more labor intensive to make a product it’s inherently more valuable? And the labor of managers, entrepreneurs, inventors and those who finance an enterprise doesn’t count? So a worker should make enough to buy back the product. So the wages are fine if you can buy back a paperclip if that’s what you make? But they’re unfair if you can’t buy the private jet or emerald necklace you’re helping to make? Really, life is too short to keep reading this to the end. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 27, 2013 |
This was one of many books I read as part of my education n economic history. In it Marx describes his economic point of view which, surprising to me at the time, agreed with Adam Smith on at least one point. They both shared the "labor theory of value" which simply put argues that the value or cost of an item is based on the amount of labor necessary to produce it. This was supplanted by the subjective theory of value in the nineteenth-century which argues that the value of any item is determined by the value the consumer is willing to place on it. This in turn is interrelated with the scarcity of the item. Beyond this similarity the views of Marx departed from those of Smith. I was not impressed with theses views on my first reading in college and subsequent reading reaffirmed the arbitrariness and contradictory nature of much of Marx's work. ( )
  jwhenderson | May 27, 2013 |

Karl Marxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Engels, FriedrichEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aveling, EdwardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wealth of those societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails, presents itself as "an immense accumulation of commodities,"[1] its unit being a single commodity.
In the United States of North America, every independent movement of the workers was paralysed so long as slavery disfigured a part of the Republic. Labour cannot emancipate itself in the white skin where in the black it is branded. -- Chapter 10
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks. -- Chapter 10

This 1867 study—one of the most influential documents of modern times—looks at the relationship between labor and value, the role of money, and the conflict between the classes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,264,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible