Swag by Elmore Leonard

by Elmore Leonard

Member:MikeBriggs
Title:Swag
Authors:Elmore Leonard
Info:New York: Delacorte Press, c1976. 229 p. ; 22 cm.
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Mystery, Own, Fiction, Male Author, Male Protagonist, Read

Swag by Elmore Leonard

Recently added byPaulRx04, Roycrofter, private library, awcgraham, MarthaStephens, tybows56, ScottatOSU, pwsalay

I picked this up because, well, Elmore Leonard died recently and I'd never read anything of his. Holy god, could that man write. I've never seen such fantastic, economical writing. I almost don't care about the story - although it was also fun, as predictable as the story of "incompetent criminals do crime" always is, it's usually pretty entertaining too - just because I want to roll around in the way he can establish character with two well-placed words. (Fortunately this is not the kind of writing that gives me an inferiority complex, mostly because it's impossible to write sf this way.) ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 15, 2013 |
Classic Leonard. A super tight read with no inefficiencies. This book reads so effortlessly, that when you are done you wonder how Leonard fit so much in to such a small space. Stick is a country guy who falls in with the wrong crowd, Frank, when Frank misremembers Stick in Court - after Stick had stolen a car from the used lot where Frank was working. A mismatched partnership in crimes ensues between Stick and Frank, as they try tiO implement Frank's ten rules for success and happiness in crime. The duo press their fortunes and forget Frank's rules with complicating consequences. Stick has love in hand and feels it rush out between his fingers. This books shares similarities with Rum Punch ( Jackie Brown). This book is difficult to find compared to most Leonard titles. Well worth the hunt as this Leonard at his fittest. ( )
  RDHawk6886 | Aug 27, 2013 |
When it comes to crime fiction, Elmore Leonard is a master minimalist. No flash, no heroics. Just believable people--some of them on one side of the law, some on the other side.
Very good read. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Sep 16, 2012 |
I read this as part of an online discussion group on what makes a good ending for a novel. Otherwise, it isn't the type of book that I would read ordinarily.

Because I was reading for a writers' group, I noticed a lot about the writing. Leonard's style is very spare. There are no excess words, almost no adverbs, very little explanation. Characterization is done through action, observation, and dialogue. The characters aren't really likeable, but they are understandable, with clear motivation and understandable behavior.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The basic idea is that two guys in Detroit who don't really know each other team up to become armed robbers. They have a plan, and it works, until events start spiralling out of their control. ( )
1 vote teckelvik | Mar 18, 2010 |
This is so much more than it might seem. Read it twice. There is a lot between the words. Leonard at the top of his game! ( )
1 vote bobcity | Oct 23, 2009 |

Ernest "Stick" Stickley joins with a car salesman in a series of easy robberies, but their plans soon go awry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible