Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small…

Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces (2010)

by Gayla Trail

I thought this was a great book. I'd recommend it to beginning gardeners or gardeners with experience that want a little inspiration. I can't wait till next season when I will grow potatoes in a trash can, ha ha!

I think I will get this book for my brother as well. While he has been an avid gardener in the past he currently does more daydream gardening. I think he finds his large space overwhelming. This book is designed for small space gardening but perhaps this will encourage him to get out there again with a small project. ( )
  MonsterThatIAm | Mar 26, 2014 |
First of all, the photography in this book alone makes this book a worthwhile read. The pictures are absolutely beautiful! As far as information, it is a great book for a beginning gardener with not a lot of space. It covers the basics of gardening from starting with good soil, all the way to harvesting and preserving your veggies. It has a hefty section on plants, detailing most of the common garden varieties of vegetables and specific growing information on each. It touches on fertilizing and garden pests, and promotes the idea of organic gardening to create a balanced ecosystem without harsh chemicals.

While I do think this would be a great book for the beginning gardener, I realized while I was reading this that maybe I’m not a beginning gardener anymore. I knew a lot of the information that was laid out, and found myself feeling like she needed to go more in depth on some of the topics. However, I’m realizing maybe I’m just not on the surface level anymore, so I’m probably no longer the target audience of such a book. It’s a great book, though, and I can see myself lending it out to friends with questions on starting a garden.

It did inspire me to get out in the garden and gave me a few new ideas, so I still felt the book was worth the read. I loved the idea of putting edible flowers in ice cubes for “fancy” drinks. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Great info in a small package. Can't wait to try some of the idea to get rid of powdery mildew which seems to be forming on Z's baby boo pumpkins. Just might have to buy a copy of this one after it goes back to the library . . . ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is THE BIBLE for folks who want to grow food in small spaces naturally and save money doing it. This has everything you need, fully illustrated, easy to read, easy to use, and not in a preachy or eco-hardcore that scares people off. From composting to recycling stuff in your household for equipment, GROW GREAT GRUB is proof that yes, anyone can get some fresh veg/herbs/flowers/microgreens WHEREVER you live. Awesome, awesome, awesome. ( )
  eenerd | May 17, 2010 |

Presents advice for home gardeners on how to grow one's own food in limited spaces, providing coverage of such topics as container plants, organic pest control, and preserving home-grown foods.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible