Birds of North America by Chandler S.…

Birds of North America (1966)

by Chandler S. Robbins, Bertel Bruun, Herbert S. Zim

Series: Golden Guides (Field), Golden Field Guides

A bit ragged from usage. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
The best bird guide I've found. I keep in my pickup, along with my binoculars. I don't leave home without it! ( )
  4bonasa | Apr 16, 2010 |
Nice ( )
  Harrod | Nov 29, 2008 |
Lovely illustrations, although not as detailed as some of the newer field guides provide. I keep this one on hand as a back-up, but it's never taken out in the field with me anymore. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 2, 2007 |
This book holds a lot of memories for me growing up in southwestern Idaho. The memories of my mother helping me see birds as individual species at a bird feeder that she and I built. Memories of me coming in from the hay field to tell her I saw a bird that she had never seen such as the eastern kingbird and the horned lark. Memories of me riding through Malheur Wildlife Refuge with a cousin and my mom, adding more species of birds to my list which is a part of the index in the back of the book.

I pulled the book off of the shelf for the first time in years today so I could call my mom to tell her of the unusual varieties of birds that I saw outside in my yard today. The book is now ragged with pages falling out (my mom keeps her book with a rubber band around it), but it is special for all of the lessons that I have learned through it and the memories that I have from it.

Obviously, the guide is easy to use. The pictures are easy to use for identification. The descriptions are brief so that they can be quickly read, but also thorough so that they are useful. The maps, which are a trademark of Golden Press guide books, also aid in quick identification. This all adds up to a book that can be used by anyone to identify birds and maybe create a few memories along the way. ( )
2 vote taterzngravy | Jan 27, 2007 |

Chandler S. Robbinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bruun, Bertelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zim, Herbert S.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Singer, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction (p. 6): About 1,780 species of birds representing 97 families live and breed on the continent of North America.

Field guide to identifying birds in N.A.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:22 -0400)

Text and illustrations identify 645 species of birds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,745,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible