Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02.…

Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der… (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:bluna81
Title:Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der Unterwelt
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 578 pages
Rating:***1/2

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: The mortal instruments, which Infernal Devices is a Prequel to.
    The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: great series, with Epic love story, in the supernatural world

English (146)  Italian (1)  All languages (147)
See this review in its natural environment, Dani Reviews Things. Warning: light spoilers ahead if you haven't read the first book, Clockwork Angel. Read my review here if that's the case!

In this second book in The Infernal Devices trilogy, the residents of the Institute are challenged to hunt down the Magister, who managed to escape at the end of Clockwork Angel. If they can’t, they’ll need to hand the reins over to Benedict Lightwood, with uncertain consequences. In their hunt, Tess, Jem and Will discover more about themselves and their pasts, with surprising connections popping up. To top it all off, the trio must also figure out their own feelings for each other.

Here’s what I’ve figured out about reading Clare’s books. You don’t read them for the plot. The plot’s ok at best, but honestly, I can barely remember the finer details of it. It was forgettable, and frankly, this holds true for most of the Shadowhunter books. Some are better than others, but she’s not winning plot awards. And I think she’s ok with that …because she knows her audience. She knows that she has us right where she wants us, begging for more.

No, you read Clare’s books for the romance. If you love your love stories, especially with tortured souls and love triangles, then you should read Clare’s books. She is fantastic at breaking hearts and making people swoon.
“I could not tell you if I loved you the first moment I saw you, or if it was the second or third or fourth. But I remember the first moment I looked at you walking toward me and realized that somehow the rest of the world seemed to vanish when I was with you.”
In Clockwork Angel, I was very much Team Jem. However, that certainty definitely wavered this time round. The moments of humour and pain and passion between Tess and Jem and Will shine out like constellations against the murkiness of the story, moments that stick with you for days and weeks as you struggle to choose which guy you like best. Or maybe that’s just me? Because I think I’m still Team Jem, but Will – oh, Will – definitely made my heart flutter. MORE THAN FLUTTER. Both made me swoon, made my heart constrict from sympathy, made me squeal in delight. (Yes, SQUEAL.)
“Will has always been the brighter burning star, the one to catch attention — but Jem is a steady flame, unwavering and honest. He could make you happy.”
And it wasn’t just the starring three who had their love drama. There were a few interesting relationships that popped up, and even Charlotte and Henry had a special moment. Oh, those two are adorable!

I will admit the world-building was also rather good, but not on its own. Clare benefits from having multiple series to set the stage for Shadowhunters. That being said, with the help of my own experiences in London and Yorkshire and Wales, I could very easily imagine the scenes in this book. Especially certain scenes on a balcony…

A note on the narration… Two narrators tag-teamed this book, including Ed Westwick. The handoff points didn’t entirely make sense. It would have been a lot better if Ed read all of the male POV chapters and Heather read the female POV chapters, but alas, that was not the case. They seemed to swap at arbitrary scenes instead. Ed was pretty good, better than Heather, I think. Also, he can come read me poetry any day. ;)

Overall? I enjoyed it! Like I said, it’s not winning any plot awards, so you need to let go of your expectations and get swept up on the magical romance ride. It truly is sweet torture. ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
This is the second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy. I am loving this series. I read the Mortal Instruments first this trilogy has been fun going back in time and reading about some of the characters who were mentioned in the other series or hinted about. The two series really tie together well. This book delved more into the characters than the first one. Revelations are unearthed and true characters come out. The action was not as violent as the first book and also no as often. I would highly recommend this trilogy along with the Mortal Instruments series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
What a ride...
Once again Clare has delivered one of the most heart felt books I've ever read. Simply outstanding. It is impossible not to be completely sucked in by this amazing story and the roller coaster of emotions its characters go through. I loved it. ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
It is amazing how much more I like this series than I do TMI. Perhaps the author learned from her fans what not to do this time around.

While there is still a stinking love triangle, it's not nearly as annoying Simon/Clary/Jace. Now we finally understand why Will is the way he is, but that doesn't make me wish that Tess would pick him. I want her with Jem. I think he loves her just as much as Will does, and I believe Tessa loves him equally as well. I just hope this doesn't turn into a sense of duty for her rather than love. I can understand doing the right thing by Jem, but not out of duty. She should want to keep from hurting him because she loves him.

Romance aside, the story is interesting. I cannot wait to find out what Tessa is (though I already know from the TMI series). But I want to know how she finds out and what everyone's reaction is. And what will eventually happen to Jem? What will become of Charlotte, Henry andrhe Institute? And when will they finally find Mthe Magister? Or will he find them?

I almost want to start the next book this instant! ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |

Originally posted here

Oh my goodness... Clockwork Prince is a huge step up from Clockwork Angel. The drama! There are so many revelations about each of the characters, I experienced every emotion possible whilst reading this book. I thought the love triangle would annoy me but it is so well done in this series, I'm shocked and I have never felt so conflicted in my life. I was firmly team Jem after reading the first book but now I am not so sure.

I love Tessa's character, she is so relatable and she suffers a great deal of betrayal and pain in this book. It is so heartbreaking. The question of what exactly Tessa is is just as mysterious as it ever was and I am dying to know who her parents are and why she can shape shift into other people. Will's behaviour and backstory is explained - finally. There is also a lot more to Jessamine than meets the eye. Magnus Bane even takes centre stage at points which I absolutely love; I know I am not alone in saying that there can never be enough of Magnus Bane.

The atmosphere of the book is again misty, mysterious and dark. I just cannot get enough of the Shadowhunter world set in Victorian London. It's just THE perfect setting, I could wax lyrical about it forever. I feel really sick about reading the final book, Clockwork Princess I just have a feeling that it's going to break my heart in some way. The Mortmain mystery is still not really resolved and I just know a huge showdown is on the horizon. I don't know if I am ready. The automatons just freak me out, they are just so weird.

I absolutely adore The Infernal Devices so far and I wish it wasn't just a trilogy - *super sad face*. Every lover of YA fantasy should read this series, it is just that good. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 4, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lind, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westwick, EdNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I wish you to know that you have been the last to dream of my soul....Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing..."

~ Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
For Elka
Prologue: The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.
Chapter 1: "Oh yes. It really does look just as I imagined."

The special Collector’s First Edition will include a never-before-seen letter from Will to his family!
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

As the Council attempts to strip Charlotte of her power, sixteen-year-old orphaned shapechanger Tessa Gray works with the London Shadowhunters to find the Magister and destroy his clockwork army, learning the secret of her own identity while investigating his past.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,584,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible