Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02.…

Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:bluna81
Title:Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der Unterwelt
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 578 pages
Rating:***1/2

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (2011)

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: The mortal instruments, which Infernal Devices is a Prequel to.
    The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: great series, with Epic love story, in the supernatural world

English (148)  Italian (1)  English (149)
This review contains spoilers

I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like this book as well as Clockwork Angel. It didn't seem as though Tessa had any character growth, but Will had so much character growth as to seem out of character. I had trouble buying that Will had went from being an egotistical, irritating jerk to a loving, caring guy. It was implied that he was always that caring person, hiding it to stop people from loving him, but I didn't see that in the first book, and it was a little bit too obvious in the second.

I was also frustrated Jessamyn's stupidity. I had liked her and seen her as a smart, but mentally ill person who just desperately wanted to get away from the magic. Apparently I was wrong about her being smart.

I really like Jem, so it was nice to see some more developement from him. I have always liked Jem more than Will, and, quite frankly I wonder why Tessa even wants Will when she has Jem. I liked the developement of Sophie and Gideon as well.

Bridget's songs were fun, though I can understand why the characters got so annoyed with them. I mostly liked them because I recognized some of them.

I liked the book, but it wasn't as good as the first one. ( )
  NicoleSch | Nov 26, 2016 |
Background: As the Institute faces a possible leadership change, Tessa and the Shadowhunters are in full swing looking for the Magister. While doing so, Will’s past comes to haunt him, making him strive for possible resolution. Jem and Tessa grow closer through Will’s inability to get close to others, and Tessa’s brother is still up to his tricks. Through the confusion, Tessa is still unsure about her past and her future concerning the Shadowhunters.

Review: Tessa, Will, and Jem are wonderful characters, there is something about each of them that will always pull me back to the story; which is very unlike the Mortal Instruments series, where some of the characters are…well…dicks. I love the story Cassandra Clare has put together. There were so many twists that I was not expecting at all, I was really blown away (esp. in the last few chapters). I think that the Shadowhunters in this series are very humble compared to her other series and that is what makes them so likable and thus the story more enjoyable

Likes:
-Tessa still finding herself...but really not. I enjoyed the interaction between Tessa and her brother; there was finally a little resolution on that front, but only just enough to keep me questioning some things. Also, what is up with Starkweather being all creepy but interested in her? Very interested in where that goes.
-Will and his background finally being revealed. I liked the mystery about him in the first book but in this one he really becomes a character that I like.
-Jem and his happiness, I have a huge soft spot for Jem and maybe that was the intention, but I think it is great that he is finally getting what her wants versus Will always getting everything.

Dislikes:
-I seem to have this problem with Clare consistently, not all of the good stuff needs to happen at the VERY end of the book! It is so bothersome. When I first started this book it was slow, a lot of talking or descriptions, which were nice, but no action. She almost always leave all the action to the very last few chapters and that irks me.
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This review can also be read here.

So… full on love triangle that gets super complicated. Am I the only one who really likes Tessa and Jem together? I just don’t feel it for Will.

Although he has a very legitimate reason for being an asshole. I think Tessa’s “love” for him was purely driven by 1) His looks 2) He is mysterious and treats her badly [which somehow works out for the girls in Tessa’s novels]

I really like love that just grows on you and not that instanta-love/like/obsession. That’s one of the reasons that I really like Jem and Tessa together. I realised also here that this book has gone from fantasy with some romance to romance with some Fantasy.

Plot:
In this book, Charlotte struggles to find the Magister but I just didn’t feel it. Like the Magister was really a back burner in this story. Mostly, it’s about Will being mysterious about his past and secretly meeting with Magnus to get him to summon a demon for his own purposes. The other main conflict is somewhat related to the Magister but not really. Don’t want to give spoilers but I’ll just say don’t trust everyone you would, but trust some you wouldn’t. And of course, Tessa and Will and Tessa and Jem. She likes them both in different ways but something will happen that let’s her make a choice in this book.

We still don’t really get confirmation of what Tessa is. However I’ve had my suspicions for a while now.

Characters:
There’s a lot of character development in this book. We get to finally meet Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood. Off the bat, I didn’t care much for either one, but one starts to grow on you through out the book. We get a new cook and butler/driver as well.

Sophie gets a love interest and so here we see where there’s so much romance going on although not as heated as Tessa’s.

Writing:

As usual, I love Clare’s writing. It drew me in and kept me focused. I must say that while I don’t usually care for Romance, the way Clare does it here [no sex lol] it’s executed perfectly. I finished this one in 2 days! ( )
  kayjenx | Sep 14, 2016 |
See this review in its natural environment, Dani Reviews Things. Warning: light spoilers ahead if you haven't read the first book, Clockwork Angel. Read my review here if that's the case!

In this second book in The Infernal Devices trilogy, the residents of the Institute are challenged to hunt down the Magister, who managed to escape at the end of Clockwork Angel. If they can’t, they’ll need to hand the reins over to Benedict Lightwood, with uncertain consequences. In their hunt, Tess, Jem and Will discover more about themselves and their pasts, with surprising connections popping up. To top it all off, the trio must also figure out their own feelings for each other.

Here’s what I’ve figured out about reading Clare’s books. You don’t read them for the plot. The plot’s ok at best, but honestly, I can barely remember the finer details of it. It was forgettable, and frankly, this holds true for most of the Shadowhunter books. Some are better than others, but she’s not winning plot awards. And I think she’s ok with that …because she knows her audience. She knows that she has us right where she wants us, begging for more.

No, you read Clare’s books for the romance. If you love your love stories, especially with tortured souls and love triangles, then you should read Clare’s books. She is fantastic at breaking hearts and making people swoon.
“I could not tell you if I loved you the first moment I saw you, or if it was the second or third or fourth. But I remember the first moment I looked at you walking toward me and realized that somehow the rest of the world seemed to vanish when I was with you.”
In Clockwork Angel, I was very much Team Jem. However, that certainty definitely wavered this time round. The moments of humour and pain and passion between Tess and Jem and Will shine out like constellations against the murkiness of the story, moments that stick with you for days and weeks as you struggle to choose which guy you like best. Or maybe that’s just me? Because I think I’m still Team Jem, but Will – oh, Will – definitely made my heart flutter. MORE THAN FLUTTER. Both made me swoon, made my heart constrict from sympathy, made me squeal in delight. (Yes, SQUEAL.)
“Will has always been the brighter burning star, the one to catch attention — but Jem is a steady flame, unwavering and honest. He could make you happy.”
And it wasn’t just the starring three who had their love drama. There were a few interesting relationships that popped up, and even Charlotte and Henry had a special moment. Oh, those two are adorable!

I will admit the world-building was also rather good, but not on its own. Clare benefits from having multiple series to set the stage for Shadowhunters. That being said, with the help of my own experiences in London and Yorkshire and Wales, I could very easily imagine the scenes in this book. Especially certain scenes on a balcony…

A note on the narration… Two narrators tag-teamed this book, including Ed Westwick. The handoff points didn’t entirely make sense. It would have been a lot better if Ed read all of the male POV chapters and Heather read the female POV chapters, but alas, that was not the case. They seemed to swap at arbitrary scenes instead. Ed was pretty good, better than Heather, I think. Also, he can come read me poetry any day. ;)

Overall? I enjoyed it! Like I said, it’s not winning any plot awards, so you need to let go of your expectations and get swept up on the magical romance ride. It truly is sweet torture. ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
This is the second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy. I am loving this series. I read the Mortal Instruments first this trilogy has been fun going back in time and reading about some of the characters who were mentioned in the other series or hinted about. The two series really tie together well. This book delved more into the characters than the first one. Revelations are unearthed and true characters come out. The action was not as violent as the first book and also no as often. I would highly recommend this trilogy along with the Mortal Instruments series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lind, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westwick, EdNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I wish you to know that you have been the last to dream of my soul....Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing..."

~ Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
For Elka
Prologue: The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.
Chapter 1: "Oh yes. It really does look just as I imagined."

The special Collector’s First Edition will include a never-before-seen letter from Will to his family!
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

As the Council attempts to strip Charlotte of her power, sixteen-year-old orphaned shapechanger Tessa Gray works with the London Shadowhunters to find the Magister and destroy his clockwork army, learning the secret of her own identity while investigating his past.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible