Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02.…

Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der… (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Title:Chroniken der Schattenjäger 02. Clockwork Prince: Chroniken der Unterwelt
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 578 pages

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: The mortal instruments, which Infernal Devices is a Prequel to.
    The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: great series, with Epic love story, in the supernatural world

English (133)  Italian (1)  All languages (134)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars, I think. In some ways, I liked this better than [b:Clockwork Angel|7171637|Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)|Cassandra Clare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369452257s/7171637.jpg|6674837], and in some ways less.

I was glad that this book was significantly less violent than the last one. I tend to favor quiet drama and conflict to non-stop action, though I will also readily admit that I usually prefer a book with lots of external conflicts driving the internal ones.

Anyway, though the violence was still graphic, there was less of it, because most of this book explored the characters and relationships more, which I loved. I'm realizing, though, how much I hate a genuine love triangle--and this is a very good one. I love all three characters so much that no outcome can make me happy. Also, even though I earlier professed to love Jem more, and I still see Clare subtly positioning us toward Will, I do of course love Will, and just... ugh. I couldn't be happy with any moments with Jem, because it always felt like a consolation prize for whatever we were supposed to really be rooting for. At least in the previous book, Tessa definitely liked Will and had not yet defined her feelings for Jem. Ugh. What a heart-wrenching ending, but I thought it was a good one.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was just the love triangle that tore me up because I genuinely care about the characters. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Title: Clockwork Prince

Author: Cassandra Clare

Rating: 5/5

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare exceeded all my expectations. The first book, Clockwork Angel, didn’t really sit with me as well as every other Clare book does and after reading reviews of this book having no development in the story and being completely pointless, I was set up for this book to be a 3 stars at best. However, I thought this book was really necessary because we still did resolve many issues and we progressed in the story. If they had found Mortmain in this book, there would be no content in the third book and all there would be is the triangle. Also, it would have been extremely unrealistic that they could find him in that allotted time with the little information they had. What were they going to do? Accidentally stumble upon him in a bar? So the reviews I read claiming the story didn’t progress and was just a fat load of love triangle were wrong.

I never ran into any issues with this book, either. There wasn’t irrelevant text, there wasn’t not enough detail. Everything in this novel was made really well and fulfilled what I wanted. This book also caused emotions in me. Typically I read a book with a straight face but throughout this story I laughed, I cried, I gasped in shock, I had to put down either out of anger or the awkwardness. All in a good way, of course. I absolutely love it when books can make me feel something.

All in all, Clockwork Prince is a great book that I would definitely recommend to anybody.

Audience: The book definitely has to be read by 12+ because there is a little bit of mature content (not horrible). And most readers these days are into fantasy, however if you strictly like non-fiction or realistic fiction or contemporaries or whatever, and you didn’t already, do not pick up this book. If you are into the fantasy, fiction, Victorian-era type of stuff, then definitely pick up the series. ( )
  BooksWithABrunette | Nov 8, 2015 |
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare — Released Dec. 6, 2011

I did end up going back to Clockwork Angel before attempting the review for Clockwork Prince, because there were many references back to it that were obviously important and I didn’t remember exactly what had happened since it has been a year since I’ve read it. I’ll also try to keep this spoiler-less.
I have to say that despite having so many books coming out in such a short period of time, the Infernal Instruments trilogy, so far, seems very tight and well-thought out over the first two books and hopefully the third (I think Clockwork Princess is coming out next December).
The characters’ actions in the first book set up what they do in the second very nicely, especially with Jem and Tessa. Will is still somewhat of a loose cannon, only a driven loose cannon in CP, which is possibly more dangerous. We do find out why, and it explains his character and why he acts the way he does. It also becomes clearer to him in the second book that what he says does have repercussions (I think he was beginning to realize that at the end of CA, but it really strikes home in CP), although he still seems to think about them a little too late. It makes for an interesting relationship between the younger Shadowhunters, along with the fact that Jessamine still has no desire to be one, and Tessa is still trying to figure out what she is.
Charlotte’s leadership of the institute is challenged, and she is seen usually through Tessa’s point of view, but is given room for scenes of her own, with an especially nice one with Henry that shakes up some misconceptions they both had about each other.
That is what I noticed the most about this installment in the series. There is the usual running around chasing things and hunting them down, trying to find the Magister, Charlotte is given two weeks to prove her competence to run the institute, betrayals, etc. While the constant action of these things are taking place, there are many revelations about the past made for different reasons to different people, and there is significant concentration on relationships that are meaningful, both as friends and romantically. The overlying question in romantic relationships suggests that appearances and perceptions are meaningless–what has true meaning is what remains when that is taken away. Trust the actions, not the words (although in Will’s case, his inability to take anything seriously, or, more correctly, to express anything seriously, could be considered his worst character flaw, regardless of what he feels). Jem is Will’s antithesis, though he does get angry and shows more extreme emotions in CP. When Tessa worries about what she is, the fact that she could be a warlock, and therefore unable to have children (one of the reasons I had to look back, I couldn’t remember exactly what Will had said at the end of CA regarding that, and had forgotten how incredibly callous he was about them having a “non-relationship”), Jem tells her that the right man won’t care. (Now I’m confused, though–was that in CA or CP?)
I like that there are strong female characters. Yes, Charlotte does get frustrated and tired, but so would anyone. Tessa sort of weeble-wobbles. She’s torn and has to make a choice, but she sticks to it when she does. She is curious, and she wants to know what is going on and what she can do to help. Even Sophie isn’t afraid to say what she thinks. Jessamine is a little different. She wants out of the Shadowhunter world
There is also the question of the relationship of family, between Tessa and Nate, and Will having to deal with memories of his (I don’t want to say anything more here), and that really, even though they don’t always get along, especially Jessamine, the people living at the institute are a loose sort of family. The question of family also arises within Benedict Lightfoot’s family–Benedict is the one who challenged Charlotte’s ability to run the institute (I don’t think that’s too much of a spoiler. I accidentally typed spoiler. If it were spelled spoilette to make it look more sophisticated, would that mean it was just a little spoiler? I like that, I may use it from now on). He and his two sons, Gideon, newly returned from the institute at Madrid, and Gabriel, have some interesting moments.
There’s more of Magnus. He’s such an interesting and bizarre character. I’m curious to see what happens with him in the third book.
I think I liked this one better than the first in some ways, but then I went back at the first and found so many things that tied into the second. I would definitely recommend reading them in order. I suppose you don’t have to, but then you really lose the depth of character development. The ending is nice, because it concludes at a point where no one is rushing off, no one is lying in a pool of blood, and there is genuine happiness there. But Clare manages to throw something in on the last page (so no sneaking to the back and reading the last page), that, along with everything else that is going on, truly makes you want to read the third book, but not because it’s a horrific cliffhanger.
I abhor horrific cliffhangers. Especially when it’s an author who tends to go about four years between books. I won’t mention any names, but to leave someone in a solid rock tomb on the last page?? That is just cruel. I’m digressing. I just really don’t like cliffhangers. It’s likely to make me rate a book down simply for that.
I should mention that sometimes in Clockwork Prince the dialogue does seem a little stilted. I know Clare’s trying to keep it historically appropriate/accurate, but sometimes I did notice it to the point that it jarred me out of the story a little. I would either get used to it again for a while or the dialogue was more conversational. It’s not a huge thing, and it was never enough to make me stop reading (there have been books that I have stopped reading simply because I just could not stand to read any more of whatever dialect the author was trying to portray–it was like swimming through mud, and this is absolutely nothing like that).
I would definitely recommend this book to Cassandra Clare fans. I was wondering last night which I liked better, the Mortal Instruments or the Infernal Devices. For one thing, I was shocked when City of Fallen Angels was the beginning of another trilogy–I had thought it was the last of those books. That upset me a little. I guess I just hadn’t been paying attention and hadn’t heard there was going to be another trilogy, but I felt a little lied to. I think I like the Infernal Devices better for some reason.
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Started this February 01st, 2014, but will read another book first [b:Inside Out|6947577|Inside Out (Ben Treven, #2)|Barry Eisler|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320410861s/6947577.jpg|7170752], as I have experienced that reading to much of one author back to back is not too gripping.

Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
In Victorian London, Tessa Gray has finally found safety with the Shadowhunters, but there are plots afoot to replace the head of the Institute where she has found her refuge, and the corruption is miles deep. While I’m enjoying the plot, I find myself getting somewhat frustrated with the story because it focuses far too much on romance and far too little on plot; the romance is supposed to be a side-plot, not THE plot. Argh. That said, I spent the last several hours cursing at this book because it’s just… I realize timing like this is only possible in books, and I find it utterly frustrating when it happens. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lind, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westwick, EdNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I wish you to know that you have been the last to dream of my soul....Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing..."

~ Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
For Elka
Prologue: The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.
Chapter 1: "Oh yes. It really does look just as I imagined."

The special Collector’s First Edition will include a never-before-seen letter from Will to his family!
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

As the Council attempts to strip Charlotte of her power, sixteen-year-old orphaned shapechanger Tessa Gray works with the London Shadowhunters to find the Magister and destroy his clockwork army, learning the secret of her own identity while investigating his past.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible