Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices) by…

Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices) (edition 2011)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones / City of Ashes / City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (one-horse.library)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are darker YA Victorian fantasies.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souci)
    souci: Also set in London's past, with a supernatural connection
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (macart3)
    macart3: This book is steampunk, the humor is dry, and deals with the supernatural.
    Goliath by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: While Lee doesn't include paranormal elements, the tales are similar in their suspenseful nature, their realistic Victorian setting, and their strong female characters.
    The Inventor's Secret by Andrea Cremer (LAKobow)
    The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle by Catherine Webb (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Henry fan? Victorian-London-set-fantasy fan? Brilliant things fan? Horatio Lyle.
    Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Friederike.Geissler)

English (255)  Italian (2)  All languages (257)
If you wanted The Mortal Instruments set in the Victorian Age, then this is the book for you! I would call it the new Mortal Instruments, but it's basically the same story repackaged in a different time period with different names and places. Basically, it's the same book set in a different era, so if you always wanted City of Bones to be set in the Victorian Age, well then do I have a book for you.
As you can tell, my major complaint about this book is that it's basically the same as City of Bones. You'd think, seeing as the books are set in different time periods, that you'd get a drastically different story, but really it was the same. You had the same cast of characters- Courageous, confused, not-normal-like-she-thought-she-was Tessa, witty, arrogant, damaged Will, his best friend Jem, and the pissy, misunderstood, but still lethal Jessamine who thinks about guys a lot, though in an admittedly different way. They all form "one big family". I felt like the plot, while different in some aspects, was mostly the same. Will saves Tessa, she learns that she isn't a normal person like she thought she was, has an on-again-off-again relationship with Will, who pushes her away. Each character had their own quirks about them, so they weren't exactly the same, but they were too similar for my liking. I found the ending very similar too, but won't talk about that right now for spoiler's sakes.
Other than that though, I didn't really have any other major problems with this book. It dragged in some places, but it was interesting in others. I liked the role that Jem played in the book, though I found Will more annoying than I did Jace, though I've been assured that I will come to like Will more as certain things that are unbeknownst to me at the moment come to light. I guess I'll just have to keep reading to find out.
All in all, it was a fair book, but it was just too similar to it's "sister series" of sorts for me to really enjoy. I feel like if I had read it before I had read The Mortal Instrument Series I would have liked the plot itself a little better, but wouldn't have enjoyed the smaller parts of the book in which references were made to the other series, which were really the best part of the book for me.
Three Point Five out of Five Stars
You can also see this review here: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/05/clockwork-angel-infernal-devices... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
I've enjoyed all four of Cassandra Clare's Nephilim books, and I think her universe is both interesting and engaging. However, I am always disappointed by the expectations set up for me by the titles of her books--and this one is the worst. The clockwork angel of the title, while sentimentally valuable to Tessa and somehow animated in the battle at the Institute, really has little to no significance to the story! A good title should be that, even if it's not apparent until the close of the novel. Also, I feel like these trilogies are running parallel if not repeating storylines--girl with no supernatural knowledge encounters Shadowhunters, has unusual powers, discovers truths about her past, shelters at the Institute, a brother figures heavily in the story, etc. Maybe next go-round Clare will do something a little different to mix it up. ( )
  rwilliab | Nov 21, 2014 |
Not how I expected it...
The writing was average...
The story was really slow at various points... (Beginning to Middle - just dragged on forever!! I almost didn't come back to it)

I liked the characters better than the ones in City of bones.
Although, there are quite a few pleasant surprises, there are way too many questions left unanswered.

Plus... Little is known about Will up to this point - which is irritating ( )
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
Orphaned Tessa, all alone in New York in 1878 when her aunt died, jumped at the chance to join her brother Nate in London. After arriving she was taken in by the Dark Sisters, and imprisoned in their home. With no place to go, and Nate’s whereabouts unknown, Tessa was at their mercy. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/clockwork-angel-cassandra-cla... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I read about 100 pages in August '12 and wasn't in the mood for it or was bored.. then picked it back up in April '13 and finished it pretty quick. ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ehle, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The "Thames River Song," by Elka Cloke, is used in its entirety as the book's epigraph.
For Jim and Kate
The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.
"But the books are behind bars!" she said. "Like a literary prison!"

Will grinned. "Some of these books bite," he said. "It's wise to be careful."

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."

(quote taken from ARC, page 87, and may be different from final edition)

From jacket: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

When sixteen-year-old orphan Tessa Fell's older brother suddenly vanishes, her search for him leads her into Victorian-era London's dangerous supernatural underworld, and when she discovers that she herself is a Downworlder, she must learn to trust the demon-killing Shadowhunters if she ever wants to learn to control her powers and find her brother.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible