Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices) by…

Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices) (edition 2011)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:bookwoman84
Title:Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2012
Rating:**

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones / City of Ashes / City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (one-horse.library)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are darker YA Victorian fantasies.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souci)
    souci: Also set in London's past, with a supernatural connection
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (macart3)
    macart3: This book is steampunk, the humor is dry, and deals with the supernatural.
    Goliath by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: While Lee doesn't include paranormal elements, the tales are similar in their suspenseful nature, their realistic Victorian setting, and their strong female characters.
    Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle by Catherine Webb (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Henry fan? Victorian-London-set-fantasy fan? Brilliant things fan? Horatio Lyle.

English (248)  Italian (2)  All languages (250)
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
It was pretty good. It was rather heavy-handed at time, but it is a YA book. I intend to read the rest of the series. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
What would you do for family? Would you be willing to cross the ocean to help them? Or willing to suffer for them? Throughout life, family has proved to be the most influential and supportive people in anyone’s life. So when Tessa Gray’s brother asked her to travel to London, she was all on board. But, when family turns out to be in serious trouble, Tessa is torn between doing the right thing and helping her brother.

The story of Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare begins once Tessa Gray crosses the ocean from New York in search of her brother in London; little did she know what was waiting for her once she arrived. What she found was not her brother but the strange Dark Sisters, devoted to the mysterious, powerful figure known as The Magister, who is focused on one thing and one thing only, Tessa. The Sisters assured Tessa that her brother sent them to take her and by the showing of a note in her siblings’ hand, willingly she believed them and allowed them to welcome her into their home. There the Sisters trained Tessa to use her gift of shape shifting to please The Magister that Tessa didn’t even know she had. Now these dark Sisters really don’t care for Tessa or her brother for that matter but, in order to please The Magister and get ahead in his club known as the Pandemonium Club, they must do as they are told and deal with the girl. Everyday Tessa was locked to her bed in a dark room, barley getting enough food and water to survive, but she didn’t complain and didn’t fuss for she knew that her brother would come for her one day and they could be a family again. For months, even years she hoped for the arrival for her brother but when he didn’t come, someone else did. Those that came are known as the Shawdowhunters- devoted fighters for the better of the world by freeing it of demons and warlocks so that no human would be in harm’s way. Immediately, Tessa was swept of her feet once they came to save her. One had piercing blue eyes with dark hair, one of the handsomest boys she had ever seen and with him came another with a different, rare beauty with silver hair and silver eyes which was strange because he was only as old as her. Before she crossed the ocean, Tessa was just a normal sixteen year old girl but once in London, Tessa discovers who she really is and how powerful she is. Yet, while she is happy to be with her new friends the Shawdowhunters, Tessa realizes that love is much more dangerous that someone trying to kill her. Soon Tessa finds herself in love with no one by two guys, Jem and Will. And to make things worse, these two boys are not only friends but best friends bound to each other as parabatai- willing to give their life for the other. Tessa will have to decide if finding her brother is for the best or if it’s better to help the Shawdowhuters save the world.

While reading this book, I was extremely fascinated. I’m not a person to like the magic talk of spells, demons and warlocks, but I really liked the book. Although it was fictional, there was a realization to the book that was truly stunning. A girl travels to London in search of her brother yet finds she has magical powers she didn’t even know about then ends up falling in love with two people through the process of looking for the one who wants her The Magister. I mean come on, who could ask for a better story than that. Even though the book was great it had a really slow start, and I mean a really slow start. It was not till well into the book that things started to get really good and you didn’t want to put the book down. It was like watching a movie that you never wanted to end. If you’re somewhat like me I guarantee you will love this book and even if your nothing like me, give it a try it was such a great read. ( )
  br14mamc | May 27, 2014 |
I loved the Mortal Instruments books. Loved. So why didn't I love this book? I have never read steam punk, so maybe it's just not my cup of tea. It's hard to do a prequel style series, too, because we all know what eventually happens since we've already read the series set in the current time period. And maybe that just helped me get less involved. I don't know. The characters seemed too similar to the Mortal Instruments series characters, too. It all felt a bit too formulaic for me, and that just makes me sad. I will continue to read whatever Cassandra Clare writes, but I may be getting the next book from the library instead of on my kindle. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I think that as far as writing goes, this book is defiantly better than some of the previous ones and I really enjoy the plot. I did not, however, like that it seemed as though there were a lot of reused characters and scenes. I often felt like I was rereading the Mortal Instruments books. I guess that the point may be to draw parallels between them but I think that if that was the case it was poorly done. Characters who resemble their ancestors is one thing, but it is another think when they are just a patchwork of the original characters. Tessa seems to be a Simon/Clary Will a Jace. Jessamine reminds me of an angry Isabelle. The list goes on and on. The only character that I felt was truly a new character was Jem. I think that the reason I noticed this was the small scenes that were almost identical in events and even wording. (Clary/Tessa yelling at Alec/Charlotte, feeling bad for yelling, but continuing anyways is the example that really stuck out to me although it happened all through out the book)
I was really impressed with the way that the author described Victorian times. I am no expert but she seemed to incorporate little details that I wouldn't have even thought of.
Altogether I thought that it was pretty good, I hope that there is more Magnus Bane and Camille in the next book. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ehle, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The "Thames River Song," by Elka Cloke, is used in its entirety as the book's epigraph.
For Jim and Kate
The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.
"But the books are behind bars!" she said. "Like a literary prison!"

Will grinned. "Some of these books bite," he said. "It's wise to be careful."

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."

(quote taken from ARC, page 87, and may be different from final edition)

From jacket: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

When sixteen-year-old orphan Tessa Fell's older brother suddenly vanishes, her search for him leads her into Victorian-era London's dangerous supernatural underworld, and when she discovers that she herself is a Downworlder, she must learn to trust the demon-killing Shadowhunters if she ever wants to learn to control her powers and find her brother.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible