Post-Mortem by Patricia Cornwell

Post-Mortem (1990)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: A Scarpetta Novel (1)

English (67)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (74)
As I read Kathy Reichs, Jefferson Bass, Karin Slaughter and Tess Gerritsen it was a logical step to read Patricia Cornwell.
One of the things that stopped me so far, was the number of books in the series, as I like to begin at the beginning.
This was spot on, a fast paced page turner and what really interested me, was her use of computers, as I started my education during that time, using nearly the same setup (dumb terminals, LAN, modem, PC etc.) and her descriptions are faultless, which I really appreciate.
This also leads to the introduction of the character I like most: Lucy.
The ending is ok, for a first book.
Highly recommended, fast page-turner. As real as it gets. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I have read all Scapetta's books, this is one I like more. ( )
  MarciaWeber | Aug 27, 2015 |
The author Patricia Cornwell, has created an amazing ongoing series of novels based on a brilliant forensic medical examiner by the name of Kay Scarpetta. It this wonderful book of twists and turns she ( Dr Scarpetta) is to find a crazed killer that has been on the down low evaiding arrest. Patricia Cornwell Truely knows how to keep you on edge and unable to put her book down. It's a Mystery thriller that'll keep you guessing to the very end, with a lot of very interesting characters. I would recommend this book to anyone else who would enjoy a refreshing change to the predictable. ( )
  Anastasia29 | Jul 9, 2015 |
Post Mortem is a brilliant book that crosses paced and thrilling description with functioning science and thoroughly believable characters all together.
At first, the first person narrative was a downer because I'm not inclined to like certain books with that narrative. I was wrong to think this: the first person narrative, voiced from Dr Kay Scarpetta, makes the story a completely intense and thoroughly enjoyable read. The scientific jargon is there but it is explained completely in a non condescending manner which gives the impression that you understand everything scientific that occurs. It is explain through the clever first person narrative choice and does not completely overwhelm you into putting the book down. Instead it draws you along with the protagonist and other characters involved and altogether it is a fantastic read. The characters are intrinsic enough for you to get to know them as you should, but they're also not put bare in front of you as I have experienced in some first person narratives.
This also being the first book of this genre I have ever read, having not been completely interested (or able to pull myself away from fantasy and sci-fi), I have found a new genre to add to my large collection and will be following up with a review of all Cornwell's other books, too. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
A very human heroine in Kay Scarpetta -- she smokes, drinks more than she should, juggles personal relationships badly, handles workplace conflicts less than diplomatically. She reminds me of me in that, despite her faults, she is good at her job and manages to muddle through on the other fronts. The book was a very quick read, no great surprises and limited suspensefullness, but enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amante, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beltran, CarlosCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gudmundsen, Per KristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeelenberg, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kay Scarpetta 1

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477154, Mass Market Paperback)

Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it's being sabotaged from within and someone wants her dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

Un brutal asesino siembra el p‚anico en Richmond, Virginia, al amparo de la noche. Tres mujeres han aparecido salvajamente asesinadas en sus propios dormitorios. El responsable de estos cr‚imenes deja muy pocas pistas y act‚ua siempre los s‚abados de madrugada. De manera que cuando la doctora Kay Scarpetta, jefa del Departamento de Medicina Legal, recibe una llamada a las dos y media de la mašnana, supone que algo grave ha sucedido: hay una cuarta v‚ictima. Dr. Kay Scarpetta, a chief medical examiner in Virginia City, is determined to stop a serial killer, but has difficulty finding out what the victims had in common.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible