Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell

Postmortem (1990)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Kay Scarpetta (1)

Recently added bytygress, kewlgeek, May3Day4

English (64)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (71)
Post Mortem is a brilliant book that crosses paced and thrilling description with functioning science and thoroughly believable characters all together.
At first, the first person narrative was a downer because I'm not inclined to like certain books with that narrative. I was wrong to think this: the first person narrative, voiced from Dr Kay Scarpetta, makes the story a completely intense and thoroughly enjoyable read. The scientific jargon is there but it is explained completely in a non condescending manner which gives the impression that you understand everything scientific that occurs. It is explain through the clever first person narrative choice and does not completely overwhelm you into putting the book down. Instead it draws you along with the protagonist and other characters involved and altogether it is a fantastic read. The characters are intrinsic enough for you to get to know them as you should, but they're also not put bare in front of you as I have experienced in some first person narratives.
This also being the first book of this genre I have ever read, having not been completely interested (or able to pull myself away from fantasy and sci-fi), I have found a new genre to add to my large collection and will be following up with a review of all Cornwell's other books, too. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
A very human heroine in Kay Scarpetta -- she smokes, drinks more than she should, juggles personal relationships badly, handles workplace conflicts less than diplomatically. She reminds me of me in that, despite her faults, she is good at her job and manages to muddle through on the other fronts. The book was a very quick read, no great surprises and limited suspensefullness, but enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Patrica Cornwell is one of my go to favorites. I am always amazed at the quantity of forensic fact she manages to put in her novels. This was before the CSI's of the world. I do have to suspend my disbelief about some things such as the level of involvement with investigations as she is the chief medical examiner??? ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 3, 2014 |
This is the first book I've read by Patricia Cornwell and I LOVED it!! Very fast reading and couldn't put it down. Now I'm on the her next...Body of Evidence!! ( )
  lorifaraone | Mar 21, 2014 |
I recently finished reading Post-Mortem by Patricia Cornwell, a book I borrowed from the library. Following is the synopsis from the back of the book and my thoughts about it.

Synopsis:

Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it’s being sabotaged from within—and someone wants her dead.

My Thoughts:

Patricia Cornwell’s book Post-Mortem was fast paced read. It propelled me along wanting to reach the conclusion and find out who the killer was. The story did include some characters who could have been the serial killer. The character of Kay Scarpetta was quite likeable and gutsy.

Kay works diligently to find out who has been murdering women in Richmond and in the process discovers that someone in her own lab could be hindering the investigation. She tries to fight the idea that the serial killer may be someone close to her and her lab.

Post-Mortem was well-written although some of the medical terms I had to look up to find out what they actually were, especially when it came to a genetic disorder that Dr. Scarpetta and her team believed the murderer suffered from. This was a good thing though because I felt like I had actually learned something while reading this book. Patricia Cornwell has woven a story in which forensic research really does help to unmask a madman. The twist is in how this research is used to catch the killer, in my opinion anyway.

Conclusion and Rating:

This was an excellent story, one that I am pleased to give 5 ***** to. This rating is because Post-Mortem was an amazingly interesting story! This is a story that pulled at my emotions in a major way. I truly loved this book and would highly recommend it.
  carfor12 | Jan 10, 2014 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amante, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beltran, CarlosCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gudmundsen, Per KristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeelenberg, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kay Scarpetta 1

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477154, Mass Market Paperback)

Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it's being sabotaged from within and someone wants her dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:17 -0400)

Un brutal asesino siembra el panico en Richmond, Virginia, al amparo de la noche. Tres mujeres han aparecido salvajamente asesinadas en sus propios dormitorios. El responsable de estos crimenes deja muy pocas pistas y actua siempre los sabados de madrugada. De manera que cuando la doctora Kay Scarpetta, jefa del Departamento de Medicina Legal, recibe una llamada a las dos y media de la manana, supone que algo grave ha sucedido: hay una cuarta victima. Dr. Kay Scarpetta, a chief medical examiner in Virginia City, is determined to stop a serial killer, but has difficulty finding out what the victims had in common.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible