Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell

Postmortem (1990)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Kay Scarpetta (1)

English (62)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (69)
Patrica Cornwell is one of my go to favorites. I am always amazed at the quantity of forensic fact she manages to put in her novels. This was before the CSI's of the world. I do have to suspend my disbelief about some things such as the level of involvement with investigations as she is the chief medical examiner??? ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 3, 2014 |
This is the first book I've read by Patricia Cornwell and I LOVED it!! Very fast reading and couldn't put it down. Now I'm on the her next...Body of Evidence!! ( )
  lorifaraone | Mar 21, 2014 |
I recently finished reading Post-Mortem by Patricia Cornwell, a book I borrowed from the library. Following is the synopsis from the back of the book and my thoughts about it.

Synopsis:

Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it’s being sabotaged from within—and someone wants her dead.

My Thoughts:

Patricia Cornwell’s book Post-Mortem was fast paced read. It propelled me along wanting to reach the conclusion and find out who the killer was. The story did include some characters who could have been the serial killer. The character of Kay Scarpetta was quite likeable and gutsy.

Kay works diligently to find out who has been murdering women in Richmond and in the process discovers that someone in her own lab could be hindering the investigation. She tries to fight the idea that the serial killer may be someone close to her and her lab.

Post-Mortem was well-written although some of the medical terms I had to look up to find out what they actually were, especially when it came to a genetic disorder that Dr. Scarpetta and her team believed the murderer suffered from. This was a good thing though because I felt like I had actually learned something while reading this book. Patricia Cornwell has woven a story in which forensic research really does help to unmask a madman. The twist is in how this research is used to catch the killer, in my opinion anyway.

Conclusion and Rating:

This was an excellent story, one that I am pleased to give 5 ***** to. This rating is because Post-Mortem was an amazingly interesting story! This is a story that pulled at my emotions in a major way. I truly loved this book and would highly recommend it.
  carfor12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
I liked this book. Probably because I can see and listen to all the medical examiner/forensic jargon and know what it all means, picture it. It made this book more real for me. I’m usually not that into mystery but this has enough thriller genre added in that I wasn’t bored with only investigation. I don’t know what I’ll think of the rest of the series (and gosh is it long!). I can see some great things coming if it develops like I’m thinking it might. Then again, it might not. I will most likely be reading the next book though to find out. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 7, 2013 |
“Postmortem” was nothing like what I thought it was going to be but then, I had never read a Cornwell novel before. I had thought that this was going to be your typical murder mystery with a female doctor who solves the crime, however that is not the case with Patricia Cornwell. Her novel is filled with science from the processes of a forensic pathologist to the machines used to catalog and process evidence. The incredible details from timelines of processing evidence, to how crime scenes are managed and the various parties that are involved is amazing. Kay Scarpetta is a likeable, smart heroine and the perfect lead character for a novel like this.

When a serial rapist/murderer starts killing women in Richmond, Virginia Kay Scarpetta (the forensic pathologist) and the local police are on the case. When the media starts to include specific unreleased details of the crimes, suspicions are that there is either a leak within the PD or medical examiner’s office or that it is an inside person that is committing the crimes. With Scarpetta’s help the rapist/murderer will be found and exposed.

This novel reads like a step-by-step case study and is without a doubt a fascinating read. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amante, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beltran, CarlosCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gudmundsen, Per KristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeelenberg, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kay Scarpetta 1

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477154, Mass Market Paperback)

Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it's being sabotaged from within and someone wants her dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:17 -0400)

Un brutal asesino siembra el panico en Richmond, Virginia, al amparo de la noche. Tres mujeres han aparecido salvajamente asesinadas en sus propios dormitorios. El responsable de estos crimenes deja muy pocas pistas y actua siempre los sabados de madrugada. De manera que cuando la doctora Kay Scarpetta, jefa del Departamento de Medicina Legal, recibe una llamada a las dos y media de la manana, supone que algo grave ha sucedido: hay una cuarta victima. Dr. Kay Scarpetta, a chief medical examiner in Virginia City, is determined to stop a serial killer, but has difficulty finding out what the victims had in common.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible