Jordan (Pendragon Legacy) by Susan Kearney

Jordan (Pendragon Legacy)

by Susan Kearney

This book is by far my favorite of Susan Kearney's "Pendragon Legacy" so far. Of the series this is the first book I have read all the way through in one sitting. I really enjoyed reading it. I like that we got to meet certain characters and see certain aspects of this futuristic world we had yet to see.

This book has an excellent plot, has a great sense of purpose and framing also, you know exactly what the characters need to be doing and what they are looking for. I also enjoyed the idea of Jordan and his secret past, that is my favorite part of the book, always has been one of my favorite literary characters. There are also multiple steamy scenes throughout the book and a couple that are anti-gravity, oh yes, wait until you get to those, very interesting. This is an excellent read and I highly recommend it. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Vivianne Blackstone brought herself up from having nothing to becoming the CEO and owner of a billion dollar business, Vesta Corporation. Vesta Corporation is now in the public eye while it builds the spaceship Draco, which is the one hope Earth has against being conquered by the terrifying Tribes. Jordan McArthur, who had fought against the Tribes the first time they tried to conquer Earth, has secured a position as one of the lead engineers building Draco. Information has come to Vivianne’s attention that puts suspicion on Jordan as a possible member of the Tribe.

Jordan has to find an ancient artifact, the only thing capable of saving the galaxies from the Tribes. To do this Jordan launches the Draco prematurely with Vivianne and a handful of engineers on board, to search for the artifact. In prematurely launching the Draco Jordan has only heightened Vivianne’s suspicions of him plus Jordan’s secretive nature doesn’t help Vivianne’s opinion of him either.

I know just enough about the tale of King Arthur and the knights of the round table, that Kearney's intergalactic twist on the this old legend was a very entertaining and fast read. Jordan had just the right combination of adventure, mystery and romance. The romance between Jordan and Vivianne was absolutely believable; Vivianne doubted and believed in Jordan at the same places I did as I read. Jordan was steadfast, brave and loyal; all qualities that I admired in hero. And the passion between these two was red hot from the get go.

I especially enjoyed the secondary characters of engineers; they were just geeky enough that the geek girl in me got a real kick out of several scenes in the book with these inexperienced space travelers.

One thing that really caught my attentions were the quotes at the beginning of each chapter from various book characters plus a few outside ones. These quotes were hints to the oncoming chapter. Here are two non-spoiler quotes that resonant with life in general:

"If you love someone, you'd give up everything for them. But if they love you, they won't ask you to." - Lady Guinevere

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the number of moments that take our breath away."/ - George Carlin

Jordan was an exciting and satisfying conclusion to the Pendragon Legacy trilogy. For me all ends were tied and I was very satisfied with the ending. While each book in this trilogy can be read as a stand alone, I think to get the full enjoyment out this trilogy you should try giving all the books a go. ( )
  FantasyDreamer | Jul 6, 2010 |
Jordan is the third book of the Pendragon Legacy, following on from Lucan and Rion. It works well as a standalone novel, except for some rather strange concepts that were probably introduced more convincingly earlier (two-hearted dragon-shapers in particular). The story combines Arthurian legend with sci-fi, sending hyper-intelligent businesswoman Vivianne Blackstone out into space on a prototype spaceship with the mysterious, alluring, and not entirely truthful engineer Jordan McArthur at the helm, plus some scientists and stowaways.

The space-farers find themselves on a quest to find and unite certain missing artifacts. Rather jarringly, one artifacts in particular induces intense lust between the main protagonists, plus a touch of shared memories. The characters’ backstories are intriguingly drawn through the remembered scenes. But the plot becomes somewhat tortuous to a reader unfamiliar with “The Tribes” of earlier books.

Tension grows as the Tribes attack earth and the search becomes a race against time. Chaos, rather like that once cause by reading “War of the Worlds” on US radio, devours Jordan’s homeland, and the protagonists wonder if there’ll be anything left to save by the end of the tale.

The final scene is a delightful twist on space opera and good fun to read. I enjoyed the tale enough that, having found a stray copy of Rion at the bottom of a bookshelf, I shall probably read more. But this probably isn’t a series for readers too attached to solid historical or scientific interpretations of mythology. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | May 27, 2010 |
I could not bring myself to continue reading this novel. The mixture of genres with the explicit sex was not for me. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Mar 3, 2010 |

"Vivianne Blackstone devotes herself to her career, putting her love life on hold. Her latest project is a spaceship designed to protect Earth from the deadly Tribes. But its engineer, the alluring Jordan McArthur, now threatens both her job and her wary heart... Jordan's past goes back to King Arthur, and he must find the ancient artifact that can save the galaxy. Vivianne's ship is his best hope, but convincing the fiercely independent beauty won't be easy. Especially when the passion flaring between them burns through their defenses - and love is the last thing they need to survive" --Publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,321,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible