Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders…

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders (P.S.) (edition 2007)

by Neil Gaiman

7,744192434 (3.98)264
Member:blakslaks
Title:Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders (P.S.)
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Harper Perennial (2007), Paperback, 416 pages

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: Fragile Things contains a short story with the same character as is in American Gods. Both are highly recommended.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Not all circuses are for your amusement. Choose wisely which one to attend.
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: the short story in Fragile Things - Monarch of the Glen - is very related to Beowulf and could be seen as an interesting commentary.
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as her collection is placed in the same world.
    The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    sturlington: One of Gaiman's stories speculates on what Susan did after the events in The Last Battle.
    We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "Ah. My story. Are you certain you wish to hear it? It is long, unlikely, and remarkably unedifying -- shameful, even, to come from a minister's lips. Blasphemous, too, properly regarded."
    The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm by Ellen Datlow (veracity)
    A Pack of Lies by Geraldine McCaughrean (fyrefly98)
    The Fate of Mice by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (PghDragonMan)

English (186)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (193)
Some excellent shorts. My favorites was shadows. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Boring. There are a couple of interesting stories but this was a huge disappointment. But Gaiman has much better books than this. (American Gods, Ananso Boys, Coraline and others) ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |

I went on a Neil Gaiman binge when I went on vacation last month. Raisa's Late Reviews:
The first few stories I couldn't get into because they were kind of confusing, but as I read on, the stories picked up. The poetry also wasn't my cup of tea, but it's in a style that is distinctly Gaiman.

October in the Chair ended on such a strange cliffhanger and I don't like that - I was really getting into the story too but it just cut off abruptly.

I did, however, enjoy Other People, The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch (which had such an urban mystery/fantasy vibe!), Harlequin Valentine (apt for the holidays! As, you know, eating human hearts seems to be this holiday), How Do You Think It Feels? (spooky love story), Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot, Sunbird (my personal favorite!! It was really humorous and cyclical in that clever Neil Gaiman storytelling style. Plus Epicurean clubs - do they really exist?), Bitter Grounds, and the American Gods novella The Monarch in the Glen! (we get to see Shadow again!)

So this collection of short stories had its strengths and it had its weaknesses but overall I enjoyed the tales that were spun in this book. ( )
  raisinetta | Feb 18, 2018 |
Another pick-up-put-down-pick-up-again collection of short stories..... ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Avevo letto "American Gods (10th Anniversary)" ed ero curiosa di leggere Monarch of Glen, la storia che presenta Shadow nel periodo seguente.
In generale un grande libro, storie bellissime da un grandissimo scrittore

annarellix | Jan 31, 2018 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
佳織, 野沢翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beest, Emmy vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
瑞人, 金原翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, and the late Robert Sheckley, masters of the craft
"I think...that I would rather recollect a life mis-spent on fragile things than spent avoiding moral dept." The words turned up in a dream and I wrote them down upon waking, uncertain what they meant or to whom they applied.

Collects these stories
"A Study in Emerald"
"The Fairy Reel"
"October in the Chair"
"The Hidden Chamber"
"Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire"
"The Flints of Memory Lane"
"Closing Time"
"Going Wodwo"
"Bitter Grounds"
"Other People"
"Keepsakes and Treasures"
"Good Boys Deserve Favors"
"The Facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch"
"Strange Little Girls"
"Harlequin Valentine"
"Locks"
"The Problem of Susan"
"Instructions"
"How Do You Think It Feels?"
"My Life"
"Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot"
"Feeders and Eaters"
"Diseasemaker's Croup"
"In the End"
"Goliath"
"Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Lousville, Kentucky"
"How to Talk to Girls at Parties"
"The Day the Saucers Came"
"Sunbird"
"Inventing Aladdin"
"The Monarch of the Glen"

A mysterious circus terrifies an audience for one extraordinary performance before disappearing into the night, taking one of the spectators along with it . . .

In a novella set two years after the events of American Gods, Shadow pays a visit to an ancient Scottish mansion, and finds himself trapped in a game of murder and monsters . . .

In a Hugo Award-winning short story set in a strangely altered Victorian England, the great detective Sherlock Holmes must solve a most unsettling royal murder . . .

Two teenage boys crash a party and meet the girls of their dreams—and nightmares . . .

In a Locus Award-winning tale, the members of an excusive epicurean club lament that they've eaten everything that can be eaten, with the exception of a legendary, rare, and exceedingly dangerous Egyptian bird . . .

Such marvelous creations and more—including a short story set in the world of The Matrix, and others set in the worlds of gothic fiction and children's fiction—can be found in this extraordinary collection, which showcases Gaiman's storytelling brilliance as well as his terrifyingly entertaining dark sense of humor. By turns delightful, disturbing, and diverting, Fragile Things is a gift of literary enchantment from one of the most unique writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:26 -0400)

A collection of more than twenty-five short fictional works follows a theme of the intersections between life and death, perception and reality, and darkness and light.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,176,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible