No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: Fragile Things contains a short story with the same character as is in American Gods. Both are highly recommended.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Not all circuses are for your amusement. Choose wisely which one to attend.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as her collection is placed in the same world.
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: the short story in Fragile Things - Monarch of the Glen - is very related to Beowulf and could be seen as an interesting commentary.
    We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "Ah. My story. Are you certain you wish to hear it? It is long, unlikely, and remarkably unedifying -- shameful, even, to come from a minister's lips. Blasphemous, too, properly regarded."
    The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm by Ellen Datlow (veracity)
    A Pack of Lies by Geraldine McCaughrean (fyrefly98)
    The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    sturlington: One of Gaiman's stories speculates on what Susan did after the events in The Last Battle.
    The Fate of Mice by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (PghDragonMan)

English (165)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (172)
Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things is a book of short stories and poetry, and I simply did not like it. I have found with Gaiman that I will absolutely love some of his work, and then there are other works that leave me cold, and this is one of them. None of the stories found any resonance for me, and I thought the poetry was dreadful. Others will have different, less harsh, views, but this is my opinion, that the book is not really worth reading. A huge disappointment. ( )
  ahef1963 | May 30, 2015 |
A collection of short stories, poems, and a novella, Fragile Things ranges from science fiction to urban fantasy, poetry to prose, first person to third. The book began with a line Gaiman thought up in a dream – “I think…that I would rather recollect a life misspent on fragile things than spent avoiding moral debt.” Each work has an introduction giving some of its history and Gaiman’s thought, such as the “Susan problem” in the Chronicles of Narnia that has bothered him since he was a child, or a piece that was written for his daughter who asked for a gift only he could give for her eighteenth birthday-- a story just for her. The final tale, The Monarch of the Glen, finds Shadow wandering in Scotland years after the events in American Gods. Still connected to the world of gods, heroes, and myths, Shadow finds himself drawn into a mystery involving the rich and the powerful, rituals and folktales, myths and monsters. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |
Grab bag. Like others, I could do without the poems (sorry, Neil), but the novella is satisfying if you liked American Gods, and three or four of the other stories are worthwhile. In many cases, clearly experiments with style, which have their charm, but not a "collection" per se. The "fragile" is a tip-off that it doesn't bear too much analysis. Fans will want it to round out their collection and gain insight into Gaiman's process, but others would be better served starting with one of the novels before circling back to this trunkful of ephemera and curiosities. ( )
  wreichard | Apr 24, 2015 |
Oshit! I didn't even know this existed 'til I was wikisurfing and came across a reference to The Monarch of the Glen! Sealed the deal rather quickly. ( )
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
佳織, 野沢翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beest, Emmy vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
瑞人, 金原翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Beest, EmmyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, and the late Robert Sheckley, masters of the craft
"I think...that I would rather recollect a life mis-spent on fragile things than spent avoiding moral dept." The words turned up in a dream and I wrote them down upon waking, uncertain what they meant or to whom they applied.

Collects these stories
"A Study in Emerald"
"The Fairy Reel"
"October in the Chair"
"The Hidden Chamber"
"Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire"
"The Flints of Memory Lane"
"Closing Time"
"Going Wodwo"
"Bitter Grounds"
"Other People"
"Keepsakes and Treasures"
"Good Boys Deserve Favors"
"The Facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch"
"Strange Little Girls"
"Harlequin Valentine"
"Locks"
"The Problem of Susan"
"Instructions"
"How Do You Think It Feels?"
"My Life"
"Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot"
"Feeders and Eaters"
"Diseasemaker's Croup"
"In the End"
"Goliath"
"Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Lousville, Kentucky"
"How to Talk to Girls at Parties"
"The Day the Saucers Came"
"Sunbird"
"Inventing Aladdin"
"The Monarch of the Glen"

A mysterious circus terrifies an audience for one extraordinary performance before disappearing into the night, taking one of the spectators along with it . . .

In a novella set two years after the events of American Gods, Shadow pays a visit to an ancient Scottish mansion, and finds himself trapped in a game of murder and monsters . . .

In a Hugo Award-winning short story set in a strangely altered Victorian England, the great detective Sherlock Holmes must solve a most unsettling royal murder . . .

Two teenage boys crash a party and meet the girls of their dreams—and nightmares . . .

In a Locus Award-winning tale, the members of an excusive epicurean club lament that they've eaten everything that can be eaten, with the exception of a legendary, rare, and exceedingly dangerous Egyptian bird . . .

Such marvelous creations and more—including a short story set in the world of The Matrix, and others set in the worlds of gothic fiction and children's fiction—can be found in this extraordinary collection, which showcases Gaiman's storytelling brilliance as well as his terrifyingly entertaining dark sense of humor. By turns delightful, disturbing, and diverting, Fragile Things is a gift of literary enchantment from one of the most unique writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:26 -0400)

A collection of more than twenty-five short fictional works follows a theme of the intersections between life and death, perception and reality, and darkness and light.

571 wanted5 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,903,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible