6,469None591 (3.98)220
Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:Fantasy

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, Kat_Hooper
anthology (155) audio (29) audiobook (25) British (31) collection (129) English (28) fantasy (989) fiction (725) first edition (33) gaiman (80) hardcover (48) horror (185) mythology (29) Neil Gaiman (94) own (37) poetry (134) read (92) science fiction (154) sf (31) sff (65) short fiction (51) short stories (1,000) short story (35) short story collection (38) signed (40) speculative fiction (31) stories (26) to-read (97) unread (63) urban fantasy (45)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: Fragile Things contains a short story with the same character as is in American Gods. Both are highly recommended.
    Beowulf by Anonymous (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: the short story in Fragile Things - Monarch of the Glen - is very related to Beowulf and could be seen as an interesting commentary.
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as her collection is placed in the same world.
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Not all circuses are for your amusement. Choose wisely which one to attend.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "Ah. My story. Are you certain you wish to hear it? It is long, unlikely, and remarkably unedifying -- shameful, even, to come from a minister's lips. Blasphemous, too, properly regarded."
    A Pack of Lies by Geraldine McCaughrean (fyrefly98)
    The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm by Ellen Datlow (veracity)
    The Fate of Mice by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    sturlington: One of Gaiman's stories speculates on what Susan did after the events in The Last Battle.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (PghDragonMan)

English (152)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (159)
Excellent collection, though I wish that the American Gods novella had come first. It's my little OCD that I have to read everything in order. I also enjoyed the explinations at the beginning of how each story or poem came to be. "The Problem of Susan" spurred me on to re-read the entire Narnia series, though I'm already so irritated I don't know if I'll make it. (See review on The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A very enjoyable collection, although a number of the pieces aren't really stories, just atmospheric literary pieces. I most enjoyed "Feeders and Eaters", "Goliath", and "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" ( )
  sdobie | Feb 9, 2014 |
I love short fiction and I love Neil Gaiman. What an unbeatable combination this book provides. ( )
  turtlesleap | Oct 15, 2013 |
I find myself really wanting to like Neil Gaiman -- he has so many loyal fans out there -- but I just can't say that I do. Granted, after reading other reviews, I don't think I've come upon his best works yet, and for that reason, I'll probably keep giving him a try before I completely give up. I've previously read The Anansi Boys (which was okay in my opinion) and now this short story collection. I'm not typically a huge fan of short stories, so this probably wasn't the best choice as a follow-up, but I had access to it on audio, so I went for it.

As an audiobook itself, I had mixed feelings. Gaiman did do a superb job narrating his own stories. He has the type of voice that's made for audio. But I found my mind frequently wandering during these stories, and the formatting on audio was just a bit confusing. In this case, I may actually have enjoyed Fragile Things more in writing than on audio. So many of the stories just seemed to end suddenly, leaving the reader with a "Wha...??" feeling, and I assume that's part of Gaiman's style, but it just didn't work for me. I think I'll seek out Neverwhere, and if I can't appreciate that one, I'll move on. But like I said, I'm not quite ready to give up on Gaiman yet. ( )
1 vote indygo88 | Sep 20, 2013 |
I want so badly to love Neil Gaiman's work - but other than Good Omens, it just hasn't clicked for me so far. I'm going to keep trying, though. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
佳織, 野沢翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beest, Emmy vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
瑞人, 金原翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Beest, EmmyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, and the late Robert Sheckley, masters of the craft
"I think...that I would rather recollect a life mis-spent on fragile things than spent avoiding moral dept." The words turned up in a dream and I wrote them down upon waking, uncertain what they meant or to whom they applied.

Collects these stories
"A Study in Emerald"
"The Fairy Reel"
"October in the Chair"
"The Hidden Chamber"
"Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire"
"The Flints of Memory Lane"
"Closing Time"
"Going Wodwo"
"Bitter Grounds"
"Other People"
"Keepsakes and Treasures"
"Good Boys Deserve Favors"
"The Facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch"
"Strange Little Girls"
"Harlequin Valentine"
"Locks"
"The Problem of Susan"
"Instructions"
"How Do You Think It Feels?"
"My Life"
"Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot"
"Feeders and Eaters"
"Diseasemaker's Croup"
"In the End"
"Goliath"
"Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Lousville, Kentucky"
"How to Talk to Girls at Parties"
"The Day the Saucers Came"
"Sunbird"
"Inventing Aladdin"
"The Monarch of the Glen"

A mysterious circus terrifies an audience for one extraordinary performance before disappearing into the night, taking one of the spectators along with it . . .

In a novella set two years after the events of American Gods, Shadow pays a visit to an ancient Scottish mansion, and finds himself trapped in a game of murder and monsters . . .

In a Hugo Award-winning short story set in a strangely altered Victorian England, the great detective Sherlock Holmes must solve a most unsettling royal murder . . .

Two teenage boys crash a party and meet the girls of their dreams—and nightmares . . .

In a Locus Award-winning tale, the members of an excusive epicurean club lament that they've eaten everything that can be eaten, with the exception of a legendary, rare, and exceedingly dangerous Egyptian bird . . .

Such marvelous creations and more—including a short story set in the world of The Matrix, and others set in the worlds of gothic fiction and children's fiction—can be found in this extraordinary collection, which showcases Gaiman's storytelling brilliance as well as his terrifyingly entertaining dark sense of humor. By turns delightful, disturbing, and diverting, Fragile Things is a gift of literary enchantment from one of the most unique writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:30 -0400)

A collection of more than twenty-five short fictional works follows a theme of the intersections between life and death, perception and reality, and darkness and light.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible